The Winnipeg Jets are coming off a disappointing 4-1 loss to the Dallas Stars but the boys from Winnipeg are looking to put that behind them as the Jets will be taking on the reigning Stanley Cup champions the Colorado Avalanche. Tonight’s game starts at 7:00.The Jets would start the game hot in Dallas but would cool after quickly after Mark Scheifele’s rocket goal.
WOOF what a rocket from Scheif for his 3rd of the year!! pic.twitter.com/CXjXr9LM8R
— Winnipeg Jets (@NHLJets) October 18, 2022
If the Jets want to beat the Avalanche they will need to show up for more than 15 minutes. The Jets got out to a solid start against the Dallas Stars, if they could start that way and stay that way the boys in blue will have a chance to win this game. The Avalanche haven’t given much of a reason to have fans or other teams lower expectations they are still a great team and should be respected as such. If the Jets can take away space in front of the net from the Avs offence and can complete simple passes in the neutral zone they should be able to get more chances to get the puck on the net.
- The Jets have an all-time franchise record against the Avalanche of 25-26-1.
- Last season the Jets had a record of 1-2-1 against the Avalanche, The Jets were outscored by the Avalanche 19-12 last season.
- Watch for Blake Wheeler as he has 52 points in 38 games against the Avs.
- After a disastrous night for the power play against the Stars where the Jets would go 0 for 5, the Jets power play has fallen to 12.5 percent overall this season.
- The Avalanche would win all but nine games at home last season going an impressive 32-5-4 at home. The Jets lost both games in Ball Arena last season.
- The penalty kill for the Jets has been tremendous as they have successfully killed 83.3 percent of penalties.
- Rick Bowness is out for tonight’s contest, he will re-join the team when they are back at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Scott Arniel will be the bench boss again for the Jets.
- Nikolaj Ehlers will be a game-time decision tonight he is dealing with an undisclosed injury.
- If Ehlers is out Sam Gagner will be filling the right-wing hole on the top line.
- Axel Jonsson-Fjallby will make his Jets debut tonight.
- Dylan Samberg will be getting into his first game of the season, Logan Stanley will be sitting in the press box.
- Schiefele and Ehlers lead the team in points with three each. Schiefele with three goals and Ehlers with three assists.
- Nathan Mackinnon leads the avalanche in points with seven (two goals and five assists).
- Connor Hellebuyck is expected to start this game. So far this season he has a 2.50 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.