Game day 2 Winnipeg Jets @ Dallas Stars
Photo credit:James Carey Lauder-USA TODAY Sports
By Angus Hout5 months ago
- The Winnipeg Jets are in Dallas for their first away game of the season to take on the Dallas Stars. The Jets are coming off a 4-1 victory over the New York Rangers on October 14th. The Dallas Stars are 2-0 to start the season defeating the Nashville Predators in both games and outscored the Preds 9-1 in those two games. The Jets looked solid against the Rangers in the first and in the last half of the third period. The Second was shaky for the Jets but Connor Hellebuyck did what he needed to do to keep the Jets up 1-0 through the second. Sam Gagner would score the game winner but my player of the game goes to Mark Scheifele for scoring two against the Rangers.
The next three games for the Jets will be away and they are taking on some central division rivals in that time including the Colorado Avalanche. Although this is the first time the Jets are playing the Stars since Rick Bowness departed from the Stars organization the Jets head coach will not be at the game as he still recovering from COVID-19. The Jets are looking for some redemption over the stars as last season did not go the Jets way when it came to the division opponent. All the games between the Jets and Stars would go into extra time the Jets would win once in the shootout and would fall short in overtime three times.
Just a few notes for tonight’s game
- Connor Hellebuyck gets the start tonight for the Jets. He would stop 40 of 41 shots from the Rangers, making it his 23rd win with 40 or more saves. With one game under his belt this season Hellebuyck has a 1.00 goals against average and a .976 save percentage. Overall, in Hellebuyck’s career he has a record of 202-129-35, a 2.68 goals against average and .916 save percentage.
- Jake Oettinger gets the start between the pipes for the Stars. The 23-year-old has started both games for the Stars has a goals against average of 1.00 and a save percentage of .968. In Oettinger’s short career he has played 79 games has a record of 43-23-8 a 2.42. goals against average and .915 save percentage.
- The Jets are perfect on the penalty kill so far this season. They are one of six teams to hold onto that honor this season.
- Dallas stars through two games have been impressive on the penalty kill they have successfully killed 88.9 percent of their penalties.
- Both teams have been solid on the power play, scoring 33 percent of the time. Dallas has gone two for six on the Power play, Winnipeg went one for three in their first game of the season.
- Mark Scheifele and Nikolaj Ehlers lead the Jets in points. Both men have two points each. Scheifele with two goals and Ehlers with two assists.
- Roope Hintz leads the Stars in points with four points, two goals and two assists.
- Scott Arniel will be the Jets head coach for this game as Bowness is out with illness.
- Jets keeping the same lines as the game against the Rangers. If it’s not broken don’t fix it.
- Bold prediction Mason Appleton opens the scoring.
- If you’re looking for a high-scoring affair this probably won’t be the game to watch but the duel between the nets should be fun if you like cheering for the goalies. Expect less than 6.5 goals in total during this one.
- PointsBet Canada has the Jets to win at +130, and the Dallas Stars at -155 to win.
Recent articles from Angus Hout