Not to ruin your holiday appetite, but last year was a nightmare for the Jets when it came to playing the Oilers. From the 3-0 loss at home in the Heritage Classic, to the 6-3 drubbing the following meeting, to the 3-2 loss where Patrik Laine was the one who ended up scoring the game winning goal for Edmonton.
Yes, it was a painful moment in a season long string of them, but it at least gave us one of the best GIFs ever…
Jets Regular Season Game #3
Winnipeg Jets (0-2-0)
Edmonton Oilers (1-1-0)
October 9, 2017 – Puck drop: 8:05 PM CST – Rogers Place
TV: TSN 3
Radio: TSN 1260
Recently for the Jets…
A 6-3 loss to the Calgary Flames on Saturday night, they are in the middle of a three game road swing through Western Canada. They’ve given up 13 goals in their first two games to open up the season.
Recently for the Oilers…
Lost a 3-2 game to the Vancouver Canucks in which Cam Talbot did not look good at all. Tonight is the start of a three game home stand for the Oil.
Recently between the two teams…
The Jets have lost their last four against the Oilers and five of the last six the two teams have played. The Oilers swept last season’s series with scores of 3-0, 6-3 and 3-2.
Winnipeg Jets Lines & Notes
- Connor Hellebuyck gets the start tonight. He has a career 0-4-0 record against the Oilers with a .857 save percentage.
- Blake Wheeler loves playing the Oilers. In 16 career games against them, he has 2 goals and 10 assists.
- The Jets 13 goals against in the first two games is a dubious franchise record beating the 11 goals they allowed in the first two games of the 1999-2000 season when they were the Atlanta Thrashers.
- Winnipeg has yet to score a goal in the second period, and they have allowed a league high five against in the middle frame. Last season they allowed 94 goals against in the second period which also was a league high.
Edmonton Oilers Lines & Notes
- Anton Slepyshev makes his season debut with the Oilers after dealing with injuries. Last season in 41 games played he had four goals and 10 assists and the Oilers remain very high on the 23 year old who will be put into the second line.
- Jussi Jokinen – thanks to his time with the Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes who used to be in the same division as the Jets – has played the most games against the Thrashers/Jets franchise and has always done quite well against them. In 33 games played, he has 11 goals and 16 assists
- Cam Talbot has a career 5-1-0 record against the Jets with a .945 save percentage. He is undefeated in four starts against the Jets as a member of the Oilers