Preseason hockey usually isn’t about wins and losses. For the most part, the preseason is about evaluating young talent and making sure the veterans don’t get hurt. A win is a nice bonus. The Winnipeg Jets did get their first win of the preseason, a 4-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild.
However, Mathieu Perreault left the game midway through the third period after an awkward collision with Wild defenceman Kurtis Gabriel. Perrault favoured his right leg as he left the ice. This is concerning as Perreault is injury prone and is a valuable member of the Jets forward core.
- Nikolaj Ehlers looked impressive in his preseason debut, scoring a beautiful wrap-around goal while showing off his blazing speed. A scary moment in the third after Ehlers took a questionable hit from Gabriel forced the Dashing Dane off the ice for a bit, but he did return.
- Kyle Connor did not look out of place in his Jets debut, scoring once while playing a solid game. Some observers thought the University of Michigan product should have won the Hobey Baker award as the top player in the NCAA and after tonight’s performance, I can see why.
- Mark Stuart did his best Sergei Bautin and Bobby Orr impression tonight. After some ludicrous gaffes in the first period, Stu’s no-look backhand pass to setup Connor’s goal was a thing of accidental beauty. Only Mark Stuart can accomplish that.
- Brian Strait is bad. If he makes this roster, it won’t be a good look for the Jets.
- Chase De Leo looked strong tonight. There might not be room for him on the Jets but he could be a big impact player for the Manitoba Moose this season.
- Josh Morrissey should make the Jets this season. His game has steadily improved to the point that they can’t deny him a roster spot.
So Kyle Connor is pretty good at hockey. Makes beautiful pass to Alexander Burmistrov, who’s denied in-close by Darcy Kuemper.
— Mike McIntyre (@mikeoncrime) September 30, 2016
I hate the organ. #TheWorst
— horaxhorax (@horaxhorax) September 30, 2016
— Kristina Pawlyk (@krissyjeany) September 30, 2016
Charts And Stuff:
All charts courtesy of naturalstattrick.com
GIF Of The Night:
It may be preseason but plan the parade. Jets win.