Photo Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Winnipeg Jets fall to Calgary Flames 6-2 in game three

The Winnipeg Jets came out strong, but a solid first 10 minutes of the game wasn’t enough for them to beat the Calgary Flames. When it was all said and done, too many defensive zone lapses — and an ability to muster much in the offensive zone — ended Winnipeg’s night before it even really started.

All in all, the Flames ended up beating Calgary 6-2.

Nik Ehlers broke open the scoring for the Winnipeg Jets, the third time in as many games the club jumped out to the first lead in the game.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Mathieu Perrault had sprung the shifty forward who waltz in on the right side of Flames goalie Cam Talbot firing home a hard wrist shot destined for the back of the net.

The next shift Perrault took a penalty and Calgary scored on the subsequent powerplay chance.

Elias Lindholm redirected an Eric Gustafsson pass and Connor Hellebuyck didn’t have much of a chance.

Jets defenceman Tucker Poolman tried to block a shot early in the second and went down in a bloody heap. He left the game for repairs but returned with a swollen face and a cage for the third period.

Moments later, Hellebuyck tried to play a puck behind the Jets net, but Andrew Mangiapane manages to steal it and find Mikael Backlund who scored on a vacant net. Moments later, a Milan Lucic knuckle puck from the point to find its way into the Jets net, however, Flames forward Dillon Dube was standing in the crease.

What was already bad only got worse for the Jets. Winnipeg took a penalty when Jansen Harkins shoved Sean Monahan into the boards, and the latter made them pay on the man advantage.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

And right after the Monahan goal, Winnipeg got themselves back into the game. Lucic took a sloppy holding call and Andrew Copp made them pay.

From below the red line, he stepped towards the crease and managed to flip a nifty backhand past Cam Talbot.

Calgary rebuilt their two-goal lead at the 12:48 mark when Mangiapange found a wide-open Matthew Tkachuk in front of the Jets net, who beat Hellebuyck in tight over the glove.

Lucic got his goal back later in the third period, when a shot rounded out to the bruising forward who slid the puck past a helpless Hellebuyck.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

With just over two minutes left, Gaudreau scored to make it a 6-2 game.

Calgary has now taken a 2-1 hold on the best-of-five series with game four set for Thursday night at 9:30 p.m.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

On Twitter: @zjlaing