The Jets are looking to get even with an Oilers squad who pummelled them last Thursday by a score of 7-3. Although the Jets didn’t have their top guns in the lineup, they still struggled in multiple areas and couldn’t keep up in the later stages of the game.
This rematch is the first of a back to back which sees the Jets heading to Calgary for a rematch with the Flames tomorrow night. It’s a weird preseason schedule where the Jets have three sets of back to back games with all three being one home game and one away game. This game also marks the half-way point in the preseason as the Jets only have three more games after tonight.
Preseason Game Four
Sept 23, 2018 – Puck drop: 7:00 PM CST
Bell MTS Place – Winnipeg MB
TV: TSN 3 Radio: TSN 1290
Oilers expected lines tonight:
Six D are Nurse, Benning, Gravel, Garrison, Jerabek, Bear.
Koskinen backed up by Montoya.
— Reid Wilkins (@ReidWilkins) September 23, 2018
- The Oilers have had a few days off and haven’t played since their game against the Jets on Thursday evening.
- Being an away game the Oilers are resting some of their stars as they finish their preseason with three straight home games. Most teams opt for the rookies on the road and try to impress their home crowd with the stars.
- Ty Rattie has impressed so far this preseason including his five point night last game against the Jets. This great play is fueling speculation that he will play with McDavid this year and might finally be able to provide a consistent linemate for the best player in the game. However, not everyone is convinced and some people might want to loosen their expectations for Rattie
- Lastly, rumours are swirling that Evan Bouchard, the rookie defensemen is going to stick with the team instead of being sent back down for some more seasoning. The Oilers are known for rushing their players before they are ready and some people are wondering if Bouchard will suffer the same fate as some others before him.
#NHLJets morning line rushes
— Jamie Thomas (@JamieThomasTV) September 23, 2018
- Eric Comrie is making his second start of the preseason. He gets another chance against the Oilers, this time with a better team in front of him and no McDavid against him.
- The Jets are continuing the experiment of Myers playing the off-side as him and Byfuglien are the top pairing. Morrow and Poolman also get a shot to prove their worth as they are both on the bubble to make the opening lineup. Morrow is actually the team leader in points this preseason with one goal and two assists.
- Paul Maurice is starting to look at other options for the second line. After getting split up against Calgary, Ehlers is nowhere to be found tonight and Perreault is taking his spot with Little and Laine. This might work out well as Perreault is great at winning puck battles and creating turnovers. This can lead to odd-man rushes which should increase Laine’s chances of scoring.
- The bottom six is a little underwhelming tonight but they haven’t played too bad so far. Reichel and Suess both had solid games against the Flames on Friday and they are both battling for spots with the Moose.