A day short of a full calendar year since the Winnipeg jets opened their 2017-18 season with a pre-season contest at home to the Minnesota Wild and a mere 120 days after the Jets after that season ended in disappointment at the hands of the Vegas Golden Knights in game five of the Western Conference Final, the Jets take to the ice once again against the Minnesota Wild as both teams start the pre-season portion of their schedules.
PreSeason Game One
Sept 17, 2018 – Puck drop: 7:00 PM CST
Bell MTS Place – Winnipeg, MB
TV: TSN3 & NHL-Net (US) – Radio: TSN 1290
— Winnipeg Jets PR (@WpgJetsPR) September 16, 2018
- The Wild have opted to bring more of an AHL-looking lineup on the road, keeping players like Zach Parise, Eric Staal and Ryan Suter (who is back to skating, but still recovering from a severe ankle injury suffered last season) at home.
- Andrew Hammond will likely get the start for the Wild tonight as he will try to upend Alex Stalock as the opening night backup goalie for the Wild.
- Laurent Brossoit makes his first start for the Jets and Eric Comrie is his backup and might get a period of action himself as both goalies will start to make their claim on the backup goalie spot. Brossoit was 3-7-1 last season sporting an .883 save percentage with the Edmonton Oilers.
- Bryan Little will center a line between Nik Ehlers and Patrik Laine and that will no doubt be the line to watch as the Jets sincerely hope Little can step up into a second line center role.
- On defense, Dustin Byfuglien is the lone incumbent Jets defenseman and he will lead a group of players who will be fighting out for the sixth and seventh defensive spots. Logan Stanley has a long way to go to earn that spot and is likely playing to prepare for a season in the AHL, but for Tucker Poolman, Sami Niku and Joe Morrow, all three players will be trying to prove their worth over Ben Chirot who has to be considered having the inside track on a roster spot.
Here is what your lines should look like for tonight…
Line rushes this morning for #NHLJets
— Jamie Thomas (@JamieThomasTV) September 17, 2018