Breaking down all you need to know ahead of tonight’s Jets/Panthers game.
- The emergence of Nikolaj Ehlers has been really fun to watch. After putting up just four goals through his first 30 games, Ehlers has put up eight goals in his last nine games. The trio of Ehlers, Mark Scheifele and Patrik Laine has been cooking up a storm as of late.
- Amidst the struggles the Jets have had, Jacob Trouba has been a real bright spot. The Tyler Myers injury has allowed him to show what he was saying all along; He’s a top-four defenceman and furthermore, could evolve in to a top-pairing guy.
- Winnipeg’s defenceman may have a easy night in store for them. With forwards Jonathan Huberdeau and Alexander Barkov on the shelf with injuries, Florida’s scoring attack has been on a decline as of late with a total of 89 goals on the year, which rounds out to fifth worst in the league.
- The Jets need to do a better job at keeping pucks out of their own net. The Jets have allowed 120 goals this year which leaves them trailing only Colorado for worst in the league in goals allowed.
- Aaron Ekblad, Florida’s top defenceman, will likely be tasked with shutting down Mark Scheifele and the Jets top line. That’ll be no easy task, but nevertheless, a fun matchup to watch.
- Jaromir Jagr has scored 57 points in 46 games against the Winnipeg/Atlanta franchise.
- If Roberto Luongo can get the win tonight, he’ll be making some history. A win tonight would give Luongo his 448th NHL win, which would move him past Terry Sawchuk on the all-time list and place him fifth all time in wins.
By the Numbers: Florida Panthers
– 40 points ( 19th in NHL)
– 89 goals ( T25th in NHL)
– 99 goals allowed ( 12th best in NHL)
– 33.6 shots per game ( 4th best in NHL)
– 30.8 shots allowed per game ( 8th worst in NHL)
– 48.1% on face-offs ( 5th worst in NHL)