So that was fun wasn’t it? In what may turn out to be the most memorable game in the brief NHL history of the MTS Centre, Patrik Laine asserted himself as the new mayor of Winnipeg by recording a hat-trick as the Winnipeg
Jets Laines came back from a 4-0 deficit to defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs Matthews 5-4.
- All the hype surrounded the battle between the top two picks of the 2016 NHL Draft, Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine. Well, Laine made a resounding case for himself tonight! He showcased his laser-like release that had scouts drooling leading up to the draft. This kid is special. He’s going to be a good one for many years. He also won’t have to buy a drink at The Pint for the next while.
- Despite the win, there were some troubling signs. Dustin Byfuglien hasn’t looked himself in the early part of the season. While it might be a slow start for Big Buff, he will need to step up his game soon for the Jets to progress.
- The early part of the game saw more turnovers than a bakery. (Yes, it’s a bad joke. I’m stoked about the comeback yet my brain is mush right now.) The Jets struggled mightily in their own end with many errors and questionable decisions. This needs to be fixed pronto!
- The goalie battle remains up in the air but kudos to Michael Hutchinson for keeping the game alive especially in overtime. His best save was a breakaway stop on Matthews which led to Laine’s overtime winner. Hutch’s save percentage was only .900 tonight but he made some critical stops at important times.
- Paul Maurice juggled his lines in the third period as Nikolaj Ehlers, Mathieu Perrault and Blake Wheeler were a trio while Laine joined forces with Mark Scheifele and Kyle Connor. Whether Maurice sticks with these lines going forward remains to be seen but he does have some options.
- Tonight marked the biggest comeback in the history of the Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers franchise.
The first taek is the worst tweet I’ve ever sent out on Twitter and I’ve been on that silly site for 6 years and have said some pretty dumb things.
The #NHLJets are bad. So happy I’m not at the MTS Centre right now.
— Jeremy Wiebe (@jstar1973) October 20, 2016
It’s almost like having your good players score goals, not punching someone, is real leadership. ? #NHLJets
— Matt Wiebe (@emdubwpg) October 20, 2016
PAT-RIK LAI-NE clap clap clap clap clap
— JEeTSus Gripes (@Jeetsus_Gripes) October 20, 2016
Our rookie is better than your rookie. #NHLJets
— Jaime Dzikowski (@jaimeleedee) October 20, 2016
The Leafs should’ve taken him first! ?
— Alan (@sliiiiip) October 20, 2016
— Mrs. Big Red (@Ellehpee) October 20, 2016
Hutch is CLUTCH in OT; Laine is a force to be reckoned with; and somehow we walk away with the 2 points. Un-fricking-believable. #NHLJets
— Kristen Suderman (@KLSuderhand) October 20, 2016
Charts & Stuff:
All charts courtesy hockeystats.ca
GIF Of The Night:
A hat-trick by the star rookie and a big comeback victory. Cue a happy puppy.