It was more of the same from your Winnipeg Jets as they continued on with their pre-season against the Ottawa Senators. Sluggish play at times with some moments of brilliance sprinkled in against a visiting team that was not even quite 50% of what it’s regular NHL roster will end up being.
But in the end a 4-2 win over the Sens is better than the alternative, right?
- All the talk going into camp was about Patrik Laine but it’s Kyle Connor that has taken the spotlight as he continues to impress everyone with his play. We mentioned a few games ago how he seemed to be a bit gun shy to take shots and instead trying to force passes to more veteran teammates.. Tonight he led all players on both sides in shots with six which is a lot more like the Connor we saw in Michigan last year. His cheeky game winning goal which was shot at a very sharp angle and off the mask of Sens goalie Andrew Hammond should make Jets fans feel warm fuzzies knowing they have kid who isn’t afraid to pull the trigger from any part of the ice.
- Paul Maurice likes to juggle his lines during preseason games, but for a brief while we saw the Wheeler / Ehlers / Scheifele line reunited and they looked like they hadn’t missed a beat.
- Speaking of Ehlers, the comfort level he is showing this training camp and preseason compared to how he was last season is kind of remarkable. He looks more comfortable and willing to use his speed to create chances and draw penalties. He also showed off tremendous passing skill on a Mark Scheifele goal (the gif of which will be below…)
- The power play continues to produce going 2 for 7. Ottawa’s PK did look strong early and it’s possible that their penalty issues are what ended up giving the Jets the edge and help contribute to those two goals, but for now the man advantage looks to be a lot better than it was last season.
- Brian Strait took his third restraining penalty in two games and at this point if he makes the team it will be because of two things.. A: He has incriminating photos of Kevin Cheveldayoff or B: It’s the only way we’d ever beg to see more of Mark Stuart.
- Michael Hutchinson looked strong yet again stopping 27 of 29 shots against.
YOUR HOT TAEKS
— Kristen Suderman (@KLSuderhand) October 4, 2016
@NHLJetsNation that was fun
— chris w (@cwalsho776) October 4, 2016
— Kyle Calder (@JETSFANatic09) October 4, 2016
CHARTS AND STUFF
All charts courtesy naturalstattrick.com
TL;DR GIF RECAP