During the pre-season, the Jets played a less-than-ideal lineup against the Minnesota Wild who iced almost their entire NHL roster and got ran out of the building in a 8-1 loss. It was a game that left Paul Maurice and the Jets a bit sour as they felt the Wild ran up the score in a meaningless game.
Tonight the game was also meaningless for the Jets but a win (along with an Avalanche loss) would have clinched a playoff win for the Wild so they had plenty on the line. They came up lame and the Jets pounced all over them in a 5-1 win.
Revenge is sweet, tank be damned.
- It was hard to tell which team was the one fighting to clinch a playoff spot and which one was playing out the string. No matter what your thoughts are on the final handful of games of the season and what the Jets should do, you have to admire the effort.
- Mark Scheifele may be taking the sting out of the Jets possibly not having a top three pick. There should be no reason why he can’t continue playing like this next season as the team’s #1 center. Paul Maurice had his line matched up with the Wild’s #1 line of Koivu, Granlund and Parise for most of the game and they all produced well.
- The Jets did a fantastic job of driving the net and causing all kinds of issues for the Wild defense. They dominated the high quality scoring chances count 20 to 8 and overall scoring chances 36 to 25.
- They scored a power-play goal!! So it *is* possible!
- You kinda knew it wasn’t the Wild’s night when Chris Score-burn is scoring on breakaway chances.
- Mark Stuart and Jacob Trouba had a very rough night. This probably doesn’t surprise you and it probably doesn’t surprise you that one was more of an anchor on the ice for the other (don’t think we have to tell you who) .. But at least he won an award for community service so you know he’s a good dude! #StuNorth
CHARTS AND STUFF
YOUR HOT TAEKS
@NHLJetsNation Too little too late. Win for the last home game is nice though…
— :::rEdSuLtAnIsMe::: (@redsultan) April 4, 2016
— Not A Twit (@GooseTheGander) April 4, 2016
— Nicole (@NicDea48) April 4, 2016
TL;DR GIF RECAP
That moment when you know what you’re going to do hurts your future, but you also really want to hurt your rival…