Before tonight the Ottawa Senators had played five games in Winnipeg since the Thrashers moved north and turned into Jets and they had won all five games.
So tonight – as far as the tank goes – it would have been an inconvenient night for the Jets to break that streak and hand the Senators an L.
They didn’t and the Sens made it six wins in a row in Winnipeg.
- Did you watch the game? If so, do you remember anything else about tonight’s game besides Dustin Byfuglien’s absolute demolition of Mark Stone? Of course not. For Jets fans who maybe had to suffer through what was otherwise a mostly mucky less-than-pleasant game to watch, seeing Buff line up an incoming Stone and crush him into the middle of next week made sitting through tonight worth it.
If you’re reading beyond this point, kudos to you. I myself plan to go to sleep later tonight watching that on a never ending loop.
- The final stat line doesn’t flatter Michael Hutchinson at all as he was hung out to dry by his defense on the two goals against tonight. The first Sens goal from Zack Smith came off a beautiful pass from Mark Stone who had somehow managed to hypnotize both Stuart and Trouba. Mark Schiefele picked up Smith sliding into the slot far too late and Hutch had zero chance. The second Sens goal came from almost the same spot as Ryan Dzingel forced a Ben Chiarot turnover behind his own net and Alex Chiasson ripped a one timer past Hutch for the GWG.
- Too many turnovers in their own zone as per usual for the Jets. Sunrise, sunset. 21 giveaways credited to the Jets in the game.
- Mark Scheifele can not stop scoring goals which of course on one hand is amazing to see but on the other is a bit annoying when wins aren’t the most ideal thing to be picking up. That said I think we can pretty much pen the line of Scheifele, Ehlers and Wheeler as the team’s #1 line to start next season.
- Nic Petan is impressing the heck out of me (and others I would hope) with his play. His zone entries have been nice, he carries the puck into the offensive zone in a straight up north-south manner and doesn’t hesitate. He also led both teams in corsi differential with a +13 rating. Here’s hoping someone on the Jets noticed that and compared it to the -7 that Chris Thorburn posted – which itself was the worst of any player on the ice – and filed that away for consideration when figuring out rosters this summer.
- Dat Byfuglien hit doe..
CHARTS N STUFF
All charts courtesy War-On-Ice.com
YOUR HOT TAEKS
@NHLJetsNation Tonight they almost looked like at times they wished the season was over. First period showed it.
— Gord Holmberg (@gordjets) March 31, 2016
@NHLJetsNation I looked away for a moment, looked back, and Buff was trying to murder someone (again). Best part of the game.
— Kristen Suderman (@KLSuderhand) March 31, 2016
@NHLJetsNation TANK SO HARD. But, don’t hurt the Central so bad over the next 2 years please.
— Mark Harris (@MCHisTweeting) March 31, 2016
TL;DR GIF RECAP
A loss always sucks, but then you realize the lack of points gained helps earn a top three pick..