Call this a double loss for the Winnipeg Jets. Not only did the Jets lose 3-2 in overtime to the Philadelphia Flyers but they also “lost” a point in the ongoing battle to draft Auston Matthews first overall. Granted, the draft lottery may still swing the Jets way but with every point gained, the odds of getting Matthews get slimmer.
- This game seemed like an ongoing battle between Mark Scheifele and Sean Couturier. The two centres were drafted 7th and 8th overall respectively in 2011 and that has stirred debate in which player is better. Both were very good on Monday. Scheifele had a goal and an assist while Couturier picked up an assist while playing a solid two-way game. While the debate rages, both teams should be satisfied with their young centres.
- Scheifele, Blake Wheeler and Nikolaj Ehlers will probably head into training camp as the number one line next season. It was another excellent outing for the trio as Scheifele and Wheelers scored while Ehlers dazzled the Flyers with some nifty moves that would have made James Brown proud. The Jets may be out of the playoff picture but 55,27,26 are giving fans hope for next year.
- The Jets are somewhat fortunate to get a point from this game. The Flyers dominated play and possession early and had a chance to blow this game open in the first period. But solid goaltending from Ondrej Pavelec and some lucky bounces kept the game close throughout.
- The Jets did not have a single power play opportunity in this game which is a good thing. So no complaints about the Jets power play in this article. It also means the Flyers aren’t the Broad Street Bullies anymore. 1975 is a long time ago.
- This was a must win for the Flyers and they got the two points, thanks to Claude Giroux’s overtime winner. The Flyers remain tied with Detroit for the final Wildcard spot in the Eastern Conference with Philly holding the tiebreaker.
- Meanwhile, the Jets now sit at 69 points, moving one point ahead of Calgary and two points clear of Edmonton and Vancouver. (Edmonton and Calgary games in progress as of this writing.) The odds of getting either Auston Matthews or the two Finns are shrinking.
Charts & Stuff:
All charts courtesy War-On-Ice.com
Mark Stuart against the Flyera topline… This should be fun
— Kat (@KitKat_P) March 28, 2016
This endless debate over Scheifele vs Couturier: How about agreeing each team drafted a very good player. Or is that not a hot enough take?
— randy turner (@randyturner15) March 29, 2016
Little will never see first line centre minutes again on this team. #NHLJets
— Kamikaze (@NHLKamikazeJets) March 29, 2016
The price keeps going up for scheifele doesn’t it. The kid has things–vision and hands–that are athletic gifts you can’t teach.
— Bob Irving (@BobIrvingCJOB) March 29, 2016
That sums up this year Winnipeg Jets #NHLJets
— Louis Mercer (@louismercer9) March 29, 2016
GIF Of The Night:
Lose the game. Lose ground in the Auston Matthews battle. Yes, I’m grouchy!