We’ll just come out and say it. Tonight’s game was one of the worst games in NHL history! This was as bad of a hockey game at the top level as you will ever see. The Cleveland Barons versus the Colorado Rockies circa 1978 provided better on-ice action than the Winnipeg Jets and Vancouver Canucks did tonight. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Jets blanked the Canucks 2-0 thus sweeping the season series.
- This game was an instant cure for insomnia. You could tell from puck drop there was a real lack of intensity on the ice. No one will confuse this action compared to the 1987 Canada Cup or 2010 Olympics.
- Nic Petan celebrated his 21st birthday by having numerous scoring chances, but failing to convert. Nevertheless, Petan was excellent playing alongside Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. Makes a difference when Petan is playing with skilled players instead of a mule like Chris Thorburn.
- Props to Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom who was simply superb between the pipes. The former Florida Panther made 47 saves and did everything possible to keep the Canucks in this game.
- There were goals in this game. Adam Lowry’s wrap-around opened the scoring early in the third while Scheifele sealed it with an empty netter late.
- Earlier in the day, it was announced that Toby Enstrom would be out indefinitely as he requires knee surgery. Enstrom suffered the injury in November but played through it until the pain was unbearable. Just sit him for the season and let him get ready for next year.
- If you have a heart, give the people at Canucks Army a hug. They really could use one.
- Ondrej Pavelec recorded his first shutout of the season, making 28 saves in the process. It’s been a tough year for Pavelec, (a tough tenure in Winnipeg to be honest) so this game will feel good for him.
Charts & Stuff
All charts courtesy War-on-Ice.com
I’m watching the #NHLJets-Canucks b/c I’ve always wanted to see what would happen if the Washington Generals played the Washington Generals.
— randy turner (@randyturner15) March 23, 2016
The hands on Petan are made of the opposite material of what Mark Stuart’s hands are made of! #NHLJets
— Señor Roberto (@DoubleRWPG) March 23, 2016
— Miles Day (@JetSteeler) March 23, 2016
— FBS (@FBSXIX) March 23, 2016
It’s nice to have actual victories, rather than just moral victories, once in a while #NHLJets
— Kristen Suderman (@KLSuderhand) March 23, 2016
GIF Of The Night:
Not often do the Jets win so dance like no one’s watching!