The video tribute the Winnipeg Jets had for the returning Andrew Ladd was maybe the most emotion shown by the home side the entire night as the Jets put forth a listless effort much to the glee of the Chicago Blackhawks who unlike the Jets have a lot to play for this time of the season.
- It really was a great little video the Jets put together for the former captain (which you can see below in the hot taeks section) and of course the fans gave him a warm welcome.
- Andrew Ladd scored because of course he does! Got a nice round of cheers from the home faithful when his goal was announced as well. Not that the Jets were showing any push back to start that third period, but when Ladd scored at *:00 of the third, that was the dagger.
- It does make me wonder, what would a tribute video to Ondrej Pavelec look like? How would it and the sight of Pavs in an opposing jersey be greeted by fans? Polite applause? Indifference? Can we find out next season?
- Yes two of the four goals against Pavs started with bad Jets turnovers – we’ll get to that in a moment – but why does Pavelec keep ending up flat on the ice and usually on his stomach when he’s trying to make saves? (No need to answer that, we all know why, it’s still just aggravating to see that from a nine year pro)
- Have to admit that Patrick Kane goal was something else though… He blew by Marko Dano who was trying to keep up and had a head start on him and then went backhand roof from about two feet away from the goal mouth which not many players in the league can do. If there was a goal where you can’t really blame Pavs on, it’s that one.
- Maybe it was because the Jets were going through the motions and not fully focused, but the turnovers that led to the 2nd and 4th goals were the kind of turnovers you’d expect to see in pre-season games. Then again the lineup the Jets iced to night was kinda pre-season worthy I suppose…
- The bottom six of this team is bad (see chart below) for multiple reasons (be it inexperience or lack of ability) and the top six has been beaten down (and fighting off flu) to the point were there is little they can do to carry the club. Blake Wheeler did have a couple of chances in the first half of the game, but beyond that there was little to enjoy from the Jets forwards. Give credit to the Hawks because they do have a stacked team and the kind of depth that the Jets could only dream about.
- Only 11 more of these to go, 8 of them against teams either in a playoff spot or fighting for their playoff lives. Starting to think the Jets have a legit chance at one of the top 3 picks overall..
CHARTS N STUFF
Charts courtesy War-On-Ice.com
YOUR HOT TAEKS
— Winnipeg Jets (@NHLJets) March 19, 2016
Let Ralph from St James deal with it. https://t.co/30pB1pOLVE
— Harley House (@H_squard) March 19, 2016
@NHLJetsNation What did team eat for pre game-SKUNK!
— Gord Holmberg (@gordjets) March 19, 2016
— Oliver Kloethesov (@oceanidiot) March 19, 2016
TL;DR GIF RECAP
The only guy who had a rougher day than the Jets…