It could be worse… we could be the Sharks losing to the Oilers… or we could be the Oilers.
— Jets Nation (@nhljetsnation) February 3, 2015
Not sure what sums it up better than that. The Winnipeg Jets are an above average team that have allowed an above average amount of goals as of late. We all knew Michael Hutchinson couldn’t play like a demigod forever, but this kind of stinks.
After starting with the early lead, things started to fall apart. Ultimately the Jets gave up five goals and only were able to put two up on the scoreboard.
Some Numbers and Charts
Jets Individual 5v5 individual statistics:
Individual scoring chances (iSC), shot attempt differential (Corsi +/-), non-blocked shot attempt differential (Fen +/-), and offensive zone faceoff as percentage of all non-neutral zone faceoffs
Shot attempt chart for all minutes:
For more numbers, check out War on ice.
- The Jets for 5-on-5 dominated the Calgary Flames in terms of puck and zone possession, which we should expect given the teams. Unfortunately the Jets were dominated in the special teams battle, which unfortunately we have come to expect as of late.
- The 5-on-5 domination wasn’t top to bottom, as the Jets 3rd line and 2nd pair got pinned in their own zone often.
- The shot attempt chart shows the Jets out possessed the Flames, especially at even strength. The issue though can be see on the shot location chart… Check out all those shots the Flames blocked close to the net. Jets are not going to score many goals that way.
- Speaking of 5-on-5 numbers, the top chart is one made by me and will be tweeted out each intermission for Jets games. Remember to follow us @NHLJetsNation to see these throughout the game.
- I took notes throughout the game instead of doing my usual tracking of zone entries/exits/etc. You can watch as I descended into madness for your own enjoyment:
- Early lead! Haven’t seen one of those in a long while. Hope this is a sign of a change.
- Lots of pressure in their zone. Good. This is the Jets I miss.
- Ew, bad goal against. Guys trying to line change will want that back. Guys back checking will want that back. Michael Hutchinson will want that back. Everyone will want that one back.
- Ah yes… penalties… as I expect nowadays. Please. Stop.
- Man the Flames wingers cheat in break outs a lot. Probably why a forecheck will trap them in sometimes and why they sometimes get great scoring opportunities on the rush.
- P1 done. Jets out posses but are out shot. That will change.
- And we’re losing.
- Why won’t it go in!
- Another PK!!
- I should start using the Jets Nation’s twitter account… I don’t have the password yet.
- I’m going to add the estimated impact of faceoff w/l to the player stats…
- …that’s not very much.
- A power play?!
- No shots… I swear sometimes we produce more offense on the PK (I know that’s not true)
- P2 done. Jets out possess but are out shot… again. That will change.
- Not a strong start… oh great another penalty.
- Hey we actually did produce more on the kill than on the…. aw crap goal against.
- And another goal against. BRING OUT PAVELECTRICITY.
- I’m ready for score effects…
- Awesome! Score effects!! And a goal!!!
- It’s over.
- I know we’re better than this. I know we’re better than this. I know we’re bet…
- I’m growing tired of Mark Stuart and Chris Thorburn… even though I know they aren’t the full extend of the Jets loses. I should write on this.
- Welcome to Jets Nation Garret.