Will You Play Hockey For Food?

Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
July 02 2014 02:00AM

vlcsnap-2014-07-02-00h44m33s12

There are three staples in the average Canadian person's life: hockey, being nice, and being nice as a means to play more hockey. If you can find a way to combine the three, then you've created the best thing ever. Five Hole For Food does just that, and begins their 2014 cross-Canada tour today.

What Is Five Hole For Food?

Now in its fifth year of operation, Five Hole For Food is a charity that uses street hockey as a means of raising food and money for food banks across Canada. The primary means of doing this their summer tour, where a road crew goes to a long list of Canadian cities and has drop-in games that only require a donation to play in.

The ambition for this year is to hit an all-time total of 1,000,000 pounds of food raised, having reached well over half that to date. Over the next 18 days, FHFF will be in 14 Canadian cities, going from the east to west coast.

Where Is The Tour Headed?

The tour starts today, with first ball dropping in St. John's, Newfoundland at 3PM. The full list of locations is as follows (Nation Network cities bolded and italicized).

July 2nd 2014 - St. John’s – George Street
July 4th 2014 - Halifax – Grand Parade
July 5th 2014 – Charlottetown – Superstore Parking Lot
July 6th 2014 - Saint John – The East parking lot beside Harbour Station on Station Street
July 8th 2014 - Montreal – Place Vertu
July 9th 2014 - Ottawa – Sparks Street
July 10th 2014 - Toronto – YD Square
July 12th 2014 – Winnipeg – Corydon Ave. at Hugo St.
July 14th 2014 - Regina – Scarth Street Mall
July 15th 2014 – Calgary – Eau Claire Market
July 16th 2014 - Edmonton – Centennial Plaza (100 street & 101 A Avenue)
July 18th 2014 - Victoria – Saanich Plaza
July 19th 2014 – Vancouver – Granville Street

For hours, food banks supported, and other info for individual stops, check the FHFF website.

Anything Else?

Yeah, get to one of these stops. It's for a great cause and I'll think less of you as a person if you don't. Okay, I won't, but I'll be mildly upset. Especially since I'll be there for all of them; along with bantering on this fine network, I'm also spending the next few weeks with these guys to cover social media and blogging. So it would be nice to get a few "Shut Up Jeffler" declarations in person, raise some money and food, and play some street hockey with you all. Besides, if Bobby Mac is down with us, how can't you be?

Barring that, spreading the word would be equally awesome, and if anybody has any questions, fire away in the comments and I'll try to get back to you with specific info as soon as possible.

7cb905bdffc4d09e93770ff4a1889462
I bring news about the Toronto Marlies, opinions about the Toronto Maple Leafs, and a bunch of ridiculous thoughts about everything else.
#1 Lemming
July 02 2014, 02:09AM

A little early morning posting, eh?

Too bad I don't live in Vancouver anymore... :(

#2 pelhem grenville
July 02 2014, 06:07AM

...nice work...I live outside London Ontario but that London Food Bank is in the process of shutting down to become "the food broker" instead of the "The Bank" where folks go for their stuffs... not sure how that will all work out but their plan says they will be a more efficient tool than the old way where they get bogged down with all the small pieces...this proposal says they can collect & distribute to local smaller charities on a wider swath for max effect...I wish you and them the best of luck...

signed

a food bank advocate

#3 OilPain
July 02 2014, 08:49AM

Poor people are funny

#4 ubermiguel
July 02 2014, 09:12AM

My office looks right at the venue damn it, I don't have an excuse not to go. Time to dust off one of my ancient wood sticks.

#5 @Oilanderp
July 02 2014, 09:17AM

A long long time ago in a universe far far away, I was fortunate enough to have my butt saved by a food bank during a single particularly horrible month. They didn't even ask me to play hockey for it, which was disappointing.

Great cause!

#6 pelhem grenville
July 02 2014, 09:28AM
OilPain wrote:

Poor people are funny

...what a shameful thing to say...what an ignorant person you must be...go away forever

#7 ubermiguel
July 02 2014, 10:14AM
@Oilanderp wrote:

Great cause!

Glad it was there to help you get back on your feet. OilPain doesn't realize how close to needing the Food Bank many people on any given month. An illness, injury at work or a job loss is all it takes.

#8 Jay from YYC
July 02 2014, 10:53AM

This is awesome, ashamed I hadn't heard of it before! Will definitely spread the news and get my hockey buds to sign up in Calgs.

#9 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
July 02 2014, 01:15PM
OilPain wrote:

Poor people are funny

Many end up there because of Divorce(s), serious illness or unsuccessful business ventures.

Are you protected from all of these? One or two months of no paycheques and you'd be in that lineup with them I'm sure.