2014 NHL DRAFT MOCKS & PROSPECTS PROFILES

Nation World HQ
June 26 2014 12:58PM

nhl-draft-logo-2013.0_standard_400.0

Our writers around the Nation Network have done a fantastic job profiling all the top prospects for this weekend’s NHL draft.  Here is all you need to know about the players expected to be picked early in tomorrow’s first round.

MOCK DRAFT

Mock drafts are always fun, so we polled writers from each site to see who could put together the best guess for tomorrow’s top 10 picks.



Brock Seguin

Jonathan Willis

Allan Mitchell

Ryan Pike


Dailyfaceoff.com

Oilersnation.com

Oilersnation.com

Flamesnation.ca

1. FLA

Aaron Ekblad

Aaron Ekblad

Aaron Ekblad

Aaron Ekblad

2. BUF

Sam Reinhart

Sam Reinhart

Sam Reinhart

Sam Reinhart

3. EDM

Leon Draisaitl

Leon Draisaitl

Leon Draisaitl

Sam Bennett

4. CAL

Sam Bennett

Sam Bennett

Sam Bennett

M. Dal Colle

5. NYI

M. Dal Colle

M. Dal Colle

M. Dal Colle

Leon Draisaitl

6. VAN

Jake Virtanen

Nick Ritchie

Nikolaj Ehlers

Nick Ritchie

7. CAR

Nick Ritchie

Jake Virtanen

Nick Ritchie

Jake Virtanen

8. TOR

Haydn Fleury

Brendan Perlini

Jake Virtanen

Haydn Fleury

9. WPG

W. Nylander

W. Nylander

W. Nylander

Nikolaj Ehlers

10. ANA

K. Kapanen

Nikolaj Ehlers

Kevin Fiala

K. Kapanen

————————————————————————————————————————————


Rhys J

Kent Wilson

Justin Fisher


Canucksarmy.com

Flamesnation.ca

TheLeafsNation.com

1. FLA

Aaron Ekblad

Sam Reinhart

Sam Bennett

2. BUF

Sam Reinhart

Sam Bennett

Sam Reinhart

3. EDM

Sam Bennett

Aaron Ekblad

Aaron Ekblad

4. CAL

Nick Ritchie

Leon Draisaitl

Leon Draisaitl

5. NYI

Leon Draisaitl

M. Dal Colle

M. Dal Colle

6. VAN

M. Dal Colle

Nick Ritchie

W. Nylander

7. CAR

W. Nylander

Jake Virtanen

Nikolaj Ehlers

8. TOR

Brendan Perlini

Haydn Fleury

Jake Virtanen

9. WPG

Jared McCann

Nikolaj Ehlers

Nick Ritchie

10. ANA

Jake Virtanen

W. Nylander

Kevin Fiala

 

THE TOP PROSPECTS FOR THIS YEARS DRAFT

NHL30teams


We've compiled the best Nation articles of the past 6 weeks so you can cram and get to know each top prospect before tomorrow night.

SAM BENNETT  (*Links fixed)

Player Profile: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/25/canucks-army-draft-prospect-profile-2-sam-bennett

One on one interview http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/25/getting-to-know-sam-bennett/trash

AARON EKBLAD 

Player Profile: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/23/canucks-army-draft-prospect-profile-4-aaron-ekblad

SAM REINHART 

Player Profile: http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/2/another-nuge

LEON DRAISAITL 

Player Profile: http://oilersnation.com/2014/3/31/leon

One on one interview http://oilersnation.com/2014/5/9/draisaitl-i-know-i-m-a-competitive-person

MICHAEL DAL COLLE 

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/16/tln-draft-profile-michael-dal-colle

W ILLIAM NYLANDER

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/23/tln-draft-profile-william-big-willie-style-nylander

NIKOLAJ EHLERS

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/18/tln-draft-profile-nikolaj-ehlers

JAKE VIRTANEN 

Player Profile: http://oilersnation.com/2014/4/27/jake-Virtanen

NICK RITCHIE

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/26/tln-draft-profile-nick-ritchie

ROBBY FABBRI

Player Profile: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/18/canucks-army-draft-prospect-profile-8-robby-fabbri

KASPERI KAPANEN

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/22/tln-draft-profile-kasperi-kapanen

KEVIN FIALA

Player Profile: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/16/canucks-army-draft-prospect-profile-10-kevin-fiala

HAYDEN FLEURY

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/19/tln-draft-profile-haydn-fleury

BRENDAN PERLINI

Player Profile: http://theleafsnation.com/2014/6/25/tln-draft-profile-brendan-perlini


Who is in your TOP 10?


F586bf3d4cee22713929dc51e27634b4
We are the people that keep this whole circus running. We get no love but get to see Wanye freak out about stuff in person which is kind of a trade off.
Avatar
#51 Baalzamon
June 26 2014, 03:29PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
14
props

@WhattaMike

Florida now has their #1 goalie back in Luongo

So obviously the plan is to bring back their #1 Center: Olli Jokinen.

Avatar
#52 Austin Wallace
June 26 2014, 03:29PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
6
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

Can we not have Canuck fans included in nation HQ posts? Please Kent?

Bear with us! We have just as many great fans, but somehow CDC leaked into the comment threads of CanucksArmy.

We have some annoyingly smart commenters. Wait till you meet NM00.

Avatar
#53 Wax Man Riley
June 26 2014, 03:30PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
0
props

Is it just me, or do the Sam Bennett Links not work?

Avatar
#54 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 03:30PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Props
3
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

When signing the 7th defenseman from the CBJ for 4.5 million per is seen as the solution to what ails the Oilers blueline it's very reasonable to assume this year will be like every other. There are 4 things you can count on in this world:

Death,Taxes, Gravity and the Oilers sucking

you can't even count on gravity when you are near a black whole, which may somehow be connected to edmonton anyway, so... pfffttt no biggie

Avatar
#55 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 03:31PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
3
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Is it just me, or do the Sam Bennett Links not work?

didn't work for me either, the first one i clicked on cause Calgary is likely to end up with him

Avatar
#56 Austin Wallace
June 26 2014, 03:31PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props
Wax Man Riley wrote:

Is it just me, or do the Sam Bennett Links not work?

Avatar
#57 The Soup Fascist
June 26 2014, 03:33PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
36
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

dream big young man, dream big. Don't be afraid to dream!

so, in your dream, Vancouver offers both the sedin sisters and a top prospect, and Edmonton re-enters a new-new era of rebuilding by trading players for picks... hahaha must suck to be edmonton

Easy does it, Sparky.

No one is nominating Lowe and Mac T as executives of the year. However, you are the fan of a team that has won exactly zero playoff series in the last 10 years and drafts roughly as well as Stevie Wonder plays darts.

Not sure anyone who is a fan of the Flames "organization" should be throwing rocks. Both bunches of yahoos should be ashamed of what they have done to these once proud franchises.

Avatar
#58 Channing
June 26 2014, 03:34PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
20
props

Hey guys, the flames have made it past the first round once in the past 20 years and the oilers haven't done much better. Both aren't very good. Statistics don't lie.

Avatar
#59 WHH
June 26 2014, 03:35PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
14
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

When signing the 7th defenseman from the CBJ for 4.5 million per is seen as the solution to what ails the Oilers blueline it's very reasonable to assume this year will be like every other. There are 4 things you can count on in this world:

Death,Taxes, Gravity and the Oilers sucking

Who said he was the solution to what ails the Oilers blueline? He is better than most of what we now have that is a veteran defenceman. Everyone is aware of the Oilers deficiencies on defence. So state the obvious why not. How is super star Sven working out for you.

Avatar
#60 Wax Man Riley
June 26 2014, 03:36PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
7
props
Austin Wallace wrote:

Same here. I'll post the links manually Here is one profile.

Here is one that is not from the nation, but provides a longer-term perspective

Here is Canucks Army's

Here is Oilers Nation's

Sweet! Thanks Austin!

You know, I don't care what anyone says about Canucks fans.... you're aaaaalllll right! ;p

Avatar
#61 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 03:37PM
Trash it!
18
trashes
Props
14
props
Privateeye wrote:

Your the same guy that said you wouldn't trade Byron for yakupov. How can anyone take you seriously after you say something like that? Probably the same guy that said Sven will be the next superstar too. Next.

ya, how is Yak workin out for ya? lol

as a Flames Fan, i can say I was very happy with last season and where they are in the rebuild and standings...

how bout the Oiler fans? can you say your happy with where you are in your re-rebuild? you actually finished worse then the Flames AGAIN!?!? hahaha

so ya, i am smiling and enjoying this all, while I suspect you aren't.

Avatar
#62 Smokey
June 26 2014, 03:39PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
14
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

When signing the 7th defenseman from the CBJ for 4.5 million per is seen as the solution to what ails the Oilers blueline it's very reasonable to assume this year will be like every other. There are 4 things you can count on in this world:

Death,Taxes, Gravity and the Oilers sucking

Almost as bad as signing Weidman for 5 mil.

Arguing about who has a worse run organization is arguing about a miniscule amount of suckness.

At least our dilapitated shack does not look like a giant maxipad, and weare not responsible for Redford. How you like those apples.

Avatar
#63 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 03:40PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
17
props
WHH wrote:

Who said he was the solution to what ails the Oilers blueline? He is better than most of what we now have that is a veteran defenceman. Everyone is aware of the Oilers deficiencies on defence. So state the obvious why not. How is super star Sven working out for you.

He's playing in the AHL until he ripens. That's what successful organizations do so that their young players don't turn into scrubs like Gagner and Yakupov.

Avatar
#64 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 03:41PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
15
props
WHH wrote:

Who said he was the solution to what ails the Oilers blueline? He is better than most of what we now have that is a veteran defenceman. Everyone is aware of the Oilers deficiencies on defence. So state the obvious why not. How is super star Sven working out for you.

Sven? ya, he is developing just fine in the Minors... developing talent in the minors is something most of the other 29 teams practice... Edmonton might want to look into this.

then if calgary wanted to go all "Oiler" with him, they would just give him a 40 mil contract and get all snarky on discussion boards when other teams fan's didn't buy into the "vision" (aka dillusion) :-)

Avatar
#65 Privateeye
June 26 2014, 03:42PM
Trash it!
17
trashes
Props
32
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

ya, how is Yak workin out for ya? lol

as a Flames Fan, i can say I was very happy with last season and where they are in the rebuild and standings...

how bout the Oiler fans? can you say your happy with where you are in your re-rebuild? you actually finished worse then the Flames AGAIN!?!? hahaha

so ya, i am smiling and enjoying this all, while I suspect you aren't.

Your embarrassing yourself. The flames have done absolutely nothing in their history either then that one cup and 10 years ago making it past the first round. At least us oilers fans can admit we are pathetic. Flames fans are just delusional.

Avatar
#66 Austin Wallace
June 26 2014, 03:43PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Props
1
props

@Wax Man Riley

You are welcome. Here are the picks from our mock, a tonne of analysis is going up for it tonight. It will seriously be an epic read. There are a couple picks to go in the second round, they will be updated here.

Discussion: here

Draft Order:

Round 1:

1 Florida Panthers (Jake Patterson): Aaron Ekblad

2 Buffalo Sabres (Travis Watson): Sam Reinhart

3 Edmonton Oilers (Steve Laidlaw): Leon Draisaitl

4 Calgary Flames (Brad Wilson): Haydn Fleury (see note from previous post)

5 New York Islanders (Brad Wilson): Sam Bennett

6 Vancouver Canucks (Austin Wallace): Michael Dal Colle

7 Carolina Hurricanes (Andrew Ward): Nikolaj Ehlers

8 Toronto Maple Leafs (Jason Banks): Brendan Perlini

9 Winnipeg Jets (Kevin Won): William Nylander

10 Anaheim Ducks (Kevin Won): Kasperi Kapanen

11 Nashville Predators (Donesh Mazloum): Jake Virtanen

12 Arizona Coyotes (Keith Duggan): Nick Ritchie

13 Washington Capitals (Chris Pudsey): Robby Fabbri

14 Dallas Stars (Chris Bagwell): Jared McCann

15 Detroit Red Wings (Travis Watson): Sonny Milano

16 Columbus Blue Jackets (Andrew Ward): Ivan Barbashev

17 Philadelphia Flyers (Dobber): Kevin Fiala

18 Minnesota Wild (Brendan Ross): Dylan Larkin

19 Tampa Bay Lightning (Randy Buschmann): Travis Sanheim

20 San Jose Sharks (Tim Graveline): Brendan Lemieux

21 St. Louis Blues (Eric Daoust): Alex Tuch

22 Pittsburgh Penguins (Seth Brisendine): Joshua Ho-Sang

23 Colorado Avalanche (Andrew Ward): Nikita Scherbak

24 Anaheim Ducks (Kevin Won): David Pastrnak

25 Boston Bruins (Brendan Ross): Nikolay Goldobin

26 Montreal Canadiens (Eric Daoust): Adrian Kempe

27 Chicago Blackhawks (Matt Donohue): Julius Honka

28 Tampa Bay Lightning (Randy Buschmann): Vladislav Kamenev

29 Los Angeles Kings (Pete Richmire): Nick Schmalt

30 New Jersey Devils (Michael Riggi): Jakub Vrana

Second Round:

31 Buffalo Sabres (Travis Watson): Anthony Deangelo

32 Florida Panthers (Jake Patterson): Jack Dougherty

33 St. Louis Blues (Eric Daoust): Thatcher Demko

34 Calgary Flames (Brad Wilson): Mason McDonald

35 New York Islanders (Brad Wilson): Roland McKeown

36 Vancouver Canucks (Austin Wallace): Conner Bleackley

37 Carolina Hurricanes (Andrew Ward): Brayden Point

38 Anaheim Ducks (Kevin Won): Brycen Martin

39 Buffalo Sabres (Travis Watson): Alex Nedeljkovic

40 Ottawa Senators (Nathan Martin): Anton Karlsson

41 New Jersey Devils (Michael Riggi): John Quenneville

42 Nashville Predators (Donesh Mazloum): Eric Cornel

43 Arizona Coyotes (Keith Duggan): Hunter Smith

44 Washington Capitals (Chris Pudsey): Marcus Petterson

45 Dallas Stars (Chris Bagwell): Jack Glover

46 Nashville Predators (Donesh Mazloum): Brett Pollock

47 Columbus Blue Jackets (Chris Bagwell): Jayce Hawryluk

48 Philadelphia Flyers (Dobber): Edgars Kulda

49 Buffalo Sabres (Travis Watson): Spencer Watson

50 Tampa Bay Lightning (Randy Buschmann): Dominik Masin

51 San Jose Sharks (Tim Graveline): Sebastian Aho

52 St. Louis Blues (Eric Daoust): Josh Jacobs

53 San Jose Sharks (Tim Graveline): Ville Husso

54 Calgary Flames (Brad Wilson): Ryan MacInnis

55 Anaheim Ducks (Kevin Won): Sebastian Aho

56 Boston Bruins (Brendan Ross)

57 New York Islanders (Brad Wilson)

58 Arizona Coyotes (Keith Duggan)

59 New York Rangers (Josh Kurtosi)

60 Columbus Blue Jackets (Chris Bagwell)>

And here is another mock draft from Brendan Ross, who has put in more hours on this draft than anyone else who doesn't work for a team/scouting agency:

@RossyYoungblood's mock

Avatar
#67 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 03:43PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
9
props
Smokey wrote:

Almost as bad as signing Weidman for 5 mil.

Arguing about who has a worse run organization is arguing about a miniscule amount of suckness.

At least our dilapitated shack does not look like a giant maxipad, and weare not responsible for Redford. How you like those apples.

if by miniscule difference, you mean that Flames fans surprisingly enjoyed the season while Oiler fans got more onry and frustrated by the minute... then ya, I could agree there was little difference.

as for the rest... can't argue, you win. :-)

Avatar
#68 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 03:45PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
9
props
Smokey wrote:

Almost as bad as signing Weidman for 5 mil.

Arguing about who has a worse run organization is arguing about a miniscule amount of suckness.

At least our dilapitated shack does not look like a giant maxipad, and weare not responsible for Redford. How you like those apples.

Spelling is hard... Wideman was a bad signing and the former GM was axed. The Oilers keep letting the old boys play with their toys. I don't get the maxipad comment. Calgary had more votes for the Wildrose than Edmonton did, so you guys are more responsible for that.

We are..not weare.

Avatar
#69 Zarny
June 26 2014, 03:45PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
12
props

Mock drafts are always fun and mostly wrong. Bet every mock draft last year had Jones going 1 or 2 and I doubt anyone had Barkov going 2nd.

It's highly likely Eklad goes 1st simply because Florida wants to win now and Ekblad is the most NHL ready. If Fld trades the pick every team but one is going after Ekblad.

Sit back, relax and watch it unfold. It should be fun to watch Pierre McGuire vent spleen if Nylander or Ehlers slide past 6 or 7.

Avatar
#70 mike
June 26 2014, 03:45PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
6
props

I hope Vcr doesnt pick Virtanen or Ritchie at #6. too afraid of another Kyle Beach, and glad gillis took Hodgson despite trading him later on.

Most skilled player imo. Ehlers or Nylander at #6 or Dal Colle if NYI takes Ehlers or Nylander.

I dont see Virtanen or Ritchie going before #10.

Avatar
#71 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 03:48PM
Trash it!
22
trashes
Props
10
props
Privateeye wrote:

Your embarrassing yourself. The flames have done absolutely nothing in their history either then that one cup and 10 years ago making it past the first round. At least us oilers fans can admit we are pathetic. Flames fans are just delusional.

ahhhhhhh just when i was starting to worry, Oiler fan breaks out the ol' "how good we used to be" argument, looking back to a time before pc's and cell phones, and when "color" was a selling point for tv's. now just add the standard, "how good we are GOING to be, which means we are still better now even if we aren't" and the universe is again right and predictable.

Yes, those were the days... Grandpa used to talk of them before his passing, god rest his soul. miss ya gramps!

bless you for remembering the past, "lest we forget"

Avatar
#72 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 03:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props
mike wrote:

I hope Vcr doesnt pick Virtanen or Ritchie at #6. too afraid of another Kyle Beach, and glad gillis took Hodgson despite trading him later on.

Most skilled player imo. Ehlers or Nylander at #6 or Dal Colle if NYI takes Ehlers or Nylander.

I dont see Virtanen or Ritchie going before #10.

If they're both on the board at 10 I'd be extremely shocked.

Avatar
#73 Austin Wallace
June 26 2014, 03:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props

I am hoping for Nylander or Ehlers at 6, as a Canucks fan.

Avatar
#74 Baalzamon
June 26 2014, 03:49PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
27
props

I think what I love most about these nation-wide posts is how they bring everyone together. Magical.

Avatar
#75 Zarny
June 26 2014, 03:52PM
Trash it!
14
trashes
Props
23
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

Sven? ya, he is developing just fine in the Minors... developing talent in the minors is something most of the other 29 teams practice... Edmonton might want to look into this.

then if calgary wanted to go all "Oiler" with him, they would just give him a 40 mil contract and get all snarky on discussion boards when other teams fan's didn't buy into the "vision" (aka dillusion) :-)

Pfft...Baertschi is a bust. I have the pleasure of living in Calgary and watching the Flames. Sven is brutal.

Sort of like Backlund who has 1 season over 30 PT 7 years after being drafted.

Calgary has Gio, Brodie, Monahan and nothing else to build around. Some nice vets like Glencross though.

Avatar
#76 A-Mc
June 26 2014, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
12
props

ITS ALMOST TIME CHAPS! IT'S ALMOST TIME!

I can't stand the tension! Is it friday yet?

Avatar
#77 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 03:54PM
Trash it!
15
trashes
Props
16
props
Zarny wrote:

Pfft...Baertschi is a bust. I have the pleasure of living in Calgary and watching the Flames. Sven is brutal.

Sort of like Backlund who has 1 season over 30 PT 7 years after being drafted.

Calgary has Gio, Brodie, Monahan and nothing else to build around. Some nice vets like Glencross though.

I love that you think Backlund is a bust. Especially since you probably think Gagner is better. The fact that the organization you cheer for thinks the same warms my heart.

Avatar
#78 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 03:58PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
13
props
Baalzamon wrote:

I think what I love most about these nation-wide posts is how they bring everyone together. Magical.

They do bring out my inner 14 year old. I love them.

Avatar
#79 CMG30
June 26 2014, 03:59PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
0
props

@Ryan

I am worried about Edmonton, that's why I don't want to see Bennett fall to Calgary.

Avatar
#80 Jeff In Lethbridge
June 26 2014, 04:04PM
Trash it!
13
trashes
Props
4
props
CMG30 wrote:

I am worried about Edmonton, that's why I don't want to see Bennett fall to Calgary.

i can see Bennet going to RW and playing with Monahan and Gaudreau

Avatar
#81 CMG30
June 26 2014, 04:09PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

@Jeff In Lethbridge

He very well could, but with his age I would hope the Flames would let him stay in the minors for a year or two first.

Avatar
#82 Jayz
June 26 2014, 04:16PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
22
props

@Jeff In Lethbridge

Oiler cups (5) Flames cups (1) Canuck cups 0 Numbers don't lie check the scoreboard Tom ford .

Avatar
#83 Dicey
June 26 2014, 04:19PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
16
props
Zarny wrote:

Pfft...Baertschi is a bust. I have the pleasure of living in Calgary and watching the Flames. Sven is brutal.

Sort of like Backlund who has 1 season over 30 PT 7 years after being drafted.

Calgary has Gio, Brodie, Monahan and nothing else to build around. Some nice vets like Glencross though.

Careful Zarny. They might not be as good at sucking as we are and get as many 1st overalls. But they have smarter management, better development, better pro scouting, better coaching, and arnt stuck in a vortex of suck.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the oilers have a hard time catching the flames even though the rebuild is supposed to be 5 years ahead. 5 YEARS

Avatar
#84 Tikkanese
June 26 2014, 04:20PM
Trash it!
7
trashes
Props
8
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

He's playing in the AHL until he ripens. That's what successful organizations do so that their young players don't turn into scrubs like Gagner and Yakupov.

Just like the Flames are doing with Monahan by not exposing him to a losing environment? Oh wait...

Avatar
#85 Zarny
June 26 2014, 04:20PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
28
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

I love that you think Backlund is a bust. Especially since you probably think Gagner is better. The fact that the organization you cheer for thinks the same warms my heart.

Well let's see...Gagner and Backlund were drafted in the same year.

Gagner - 295 PT 481 GP 0.613 PT/GM 6 of 7 seasons over 40 PT (including pro-rated lockout season)

Backlund - 101 PT 246 GP 0.41 PT/GM 0 season over 40 PT and only 1 season over 30 PT.

Oh and Backlund is half a year older too lol.

So yup, Gagner is better.

Avatar
#86 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 04:22PM
Trash it!
19
trashes
Props
15
props
Zarny wrote:

Well let's see...Gagner and Backlund were drafted in the same year.

Gagner - 295 PT 481 GP 0.613 PT/GM 6 of 7 seasons over 40 PT (including pro-rated lockout season)

Backlund - 101 PT 246 GP 0.41 PT/GM 0 season over 40 PT and only 1 season over 30 PT.

Oh and Backlund is half a year older too lol.

So yup, Gagner is better.

Gagner is much better suited to playing for the Oilers since he doesn't play defense. Backlund only plays the best players in the game to a standstill. How would you guys continue to get #1 picks if you had Backlund? You're correct, Gagner is much better if the goal is a top pick every year.

Avatar
#87 DoubleDIon
June 26 2014, 04:25PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
9
props
Tikkanese wrote:

Just like the Flames are doing with Monahan by not exposing him to a losing environment? Oh wait...

Monahan had nothing to learn in Junior. He already plays in his own end. You'll notice I didn't include Hall and RNH in that comment since they had nothing to learn in Junior. Yakupov and Gagner have never experienced one third on the ice in Edmonton. Yak does have some sick goal celebrations though, he might even be an all-star if that was the only criteria.

Avatar
#88 Zarny
June 26 2014, 04:28PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
19
props
Dicey wrote:

Careful Zarny. They might not be as good at sucking as we are and get as many 1st overalls. But they have smarter management, better development, better pro scouting, better coaching, and arnt stuck in a vortex of suck.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the oilers have a hard time catching the flames even though the rebuild is supposed to be 5 years ahead. 5 YEARS

What on earth are you talking about?

Smarter management? The Flames tried duct taping their 2004 Cup roster for 8 years thinking if they could just get into the playoffs one more time Iggy and Kipper could carry them to the Cup. Lowe did the same thing in Edmonton but was smart enough to change course after 4 years instead of 8.

And let's not forget that beauty of an offer sheet to O'Reilly where they could have lost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick plus O'Reilly through waivers. Oh yeah...reeeeeal smart lol.

Better development? Like who? They drafted Backlund 7 years ago and he's produced all of 1 season over 30 PT. They haven't developed a single good forward since Iggy. Brodie and Giordano are a nice pair on the blueline; they've been developing for 6 and 12 years respectively. Otherwise Calgary hasn't developed squat.

Better coaching? Bob Hartley? Surely you jest.

Better pro scouting...maybe. They traded Phaneuf for Stajan, Hagman, Mayers and White. Yep, really winners.

Avatar
#89 jeremy
June 26 2014, 04:30PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
10
props
Dicey wrote:

Careful Zarny. They might not be as good at sucking as we are and get as many 1st overalls. But they have smarter management, better development, better pro scouting, better coaching, and arnt stuck in a vortex of suck.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the oilers have a hard time catching the flames even though the rebuild is supposed to be 5 years ahead. 5 YEARS

You must be one of the biggest flame homers or you fell out of the turnip truck and hit your hear hard if you think than they have all this stuff better than the oilers - smarter management let's hear how giving garbage contracts out like Hudler and wiedmen or how about holding on to Cammy and either getting nothing or giving him north of 5 mil for 5 years, yeah that is smart. Better player development - WHO HAVE THE DEVELOPED better ? where is god sven ? or god backlund ? yeah that is sooo much better, better pro scouting - wow that is a good one too, tell me what real gem did they steal out of the free agent market that makes you think wow they really hit a home run, Finally not stuck in a vortex of suck - who the hell are you kidding, they have not top talent (and no sean Monahan is not a top line centre) no future defense (sorry I did not know that the flames found the fountain of youth that will make Giordano stay young forever) and no goaltending, but yeah they are not in a vortex of suck WOW

Avatar
#90 suba steve
June 26 2014, 04:32PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
13
props
Tikkanese wrote:

Just like the Flames are doing with Monahan by not exposing him to a losing environment? Oh wait...

Yes the Flames lost enough to be drafting 4th tomorrow, but the collective attitude around the club and it's fans was very upbeat, and the team was competitive most nights.

From what I heard about the Oil, this was not the case last season. I do hope the Oil have a bounce back year in 2014-15, but really, last season must have been very painful for the fan base.

Avatar
#91 Zarny
June 26 2014, 04:35PM
Trash it!
11
trashes
Props
11
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

Gagner is much better suited to playing for the Oilers since he doesn't play defense. Backlund only plays the best players in the game to a standstill. How would you guys continue to get #1 picks if you had Backlund? You're correct, Gagner is much better if the goal is a top pick every year.

Haha...congrats.

Backlund is Shawn Horcoff except with considerably worse offense lol.

Yep...a real winner.

Avatar
#92 Tikkanese
June 26 2014, 04:42PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
14
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

Monahan had nothing to learn in Junior. He already plays in his own end. You'll notice I didn't include Hall and RNH in that comment since they had nothing to learn in Junior. Yakupov and Gagner have never experienced one third on the ice in Edmonton. Yak does have some sick goal celebrations though, he might even be an all-star if that was the only criteria.

Yakupov was the consensus 1st overall and ended up being so. Those don't go back to junior. He had a sophmore jinx year, that happens a lot. Congrats for jumping on the "oh look bad year he must suck" bandwagon.

The Oilers learned from the Gagner mistake and sent Eberle down twice even though he basically won a job both training camps. Same with Nurse last year, he looked pretty much like the best Oiler D in camp but they sent him down.

Monahan had a lot to learn in junior. He was a massive surprise and had a great year. I hope he keeps it up for you guys. I'd like to see the real Battle of Alberta again someday.

Sven's played 51 NHL GP and 73 AHL GP. That is hardly "letting him ripen" before exposing him to the NHL. Nice try though.

Avatar
#93 Jeff Lebowski
June 26 2014, 04:56PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
11
props
Zarny wrote:

Haha...congrats.

Backlund is Shawn Horcoff except with considerably worse offense lol.

Yep...a real winner.

I wonder how many Gagner jersey's got thrown on the ice at Rectal?

Better yet, I wonder how many Gagner jerseys got thrown to the ice by the other team with samwise still in it?

Squeeeee!

Avatar
#94 lostdog82
June 26 2014, 05:05PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
28
props

oilers and flames are both bad teams right now and both fan bases deserve better teams. Its embarrassing to hear people argue about which bottom feeder team is worse or has a better development plan. Till these teams compete in the playoffs again fans should shut up

Avatar
#95 Baalzamon
June 26 2014, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
9
props

@lostdog82

But... but... childishness!

Avatar
#96 The Soup Fascist
June 26 2014, 05:11PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
8
props
DoubleDIon wrote:

Monahan had nothing to learn in Junior. He already plays in his own end. You'll notice I didn't include Hall and RNH in that comment since they had nothing to learn in Junior. Yakupov and Gagner have never experienced one third on the ice in Edmonton. Yak does have some sick goal celebrations though, he might even be an all-star if that was the only criteria.

Are you serious?

Look, by the eye Monahan had a very nice rookie season and is a key to any bit of success the Flames may have in the future. But please don't make the mistake that just because he put up a few points that he does not have a TON to learn, especially in his own end.

He was -20 playing against butter soft competition and getting very favorable zone starts. He scored 20 plus goals which - in all seriousness, was great - but to think he is this 200 ft. wunderkid is laughable. He was an absolute nightmare in his own end - as many rookies tend to be.

Avatar
#97 NagsNags
June 26 2014, 05:19PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
3
props
Jeff In Lethbridge wrote:

ahhhhhhh just when i was starting to worry, Oiler fan breaks out the ol' "how good we used to be" argument, looking back to a time before pc's and cell phones, and when "color" was a selling point for tv's. now just add the standard, "how good we are GOING to be, which means we are still better now even if we aren't" and the universe is again right and predictable.

Yes, those were the days... Grandpa used to talk of them before his passing, god rest his soul. miss ya gramps!

bless you for remembering the past, "lest we forget"

Yeahhhhhhh. The last Flames draft pick to score a 100 goals FOR the Flames is German Titov. Basing your idea of success on being marginally better than the worst team in hockey is saddddd.

Avatar
#98 lostdog82
June 26 2014, 05:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Baalzamon

Zing. Haha

Avatar
#99 vetinari
June 26 2014, 06:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
19
props

Okay guys... settle down... as fans of the various Canadian hockey teams, none of us have anything to be proud of right about now (except Montreal and they are about to learn why signing Subban to a long term deal two years ago would have been a good idea).

Enjoy the draft and good luck to all the future NHLers!

Avatar
#100 Wax Man Riley
June 26 2014, 06:12PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
8
props
Zarny wrote:

Pfft...Baertschi is a bust. I have the pleasure of living in Calgary and watching the Flames. Sven is brutal.

Sort of like Backlund who has 1 season over 30 PT 7 years after being drafted.

Calgary has Gio, Brodie, Monahan and nothing else to build around. Some nice vets like Glencross though.

I always thought that if Baertschi turns out to be Sam Gagner, the Flames will be lucky.

Comments are closed for this article.