Jets Nation 2013 Year-End Awards: Best Defenceman

Kevin McCartney
May 05 2013 10:24PM

We nominated, you voted, and the results are in. All this week Jets Nation will be revealing your reader picks with our writers' perspectives for the 2013 Year-End Awards. We present this article to hand out the virtual hardware, but also to show our discipline as we held ourselves to just one subtle dig at Olli Jokinen.

Best Defenceman

Brett Martin (@brettmartinlive)

While I probably would have voted Tobias Enstrom if he would have played even a half-season's worth of games, I'll have to go with Zach Bogosian here.

His offensive game was in solid form - much better than I remember it being last year, even though pro-rated, his numbers actually come out a little lower than the previous season - and defensively, he was reliable, and even at times, nasty. When the Jets went on their late season win streak, Bogosian was at the top of his game. Coincidence, or a case of a really easy schedule?

Perhaps the thing that makes Bogosian's year most valuable to the Jets is the fact that he yet again missed significant time to injury, which may help to drive his cost down a little bit in his contract talks.

When it's all said and done Bogosian is steady and forceful presence on the blueline, and when he's on his game, and healthy, he's the Jets best defenceman.

Travis Hrubeniuk (@thrubeniuk)

For best defenseman I chose Zach Bogosian.  Bogosian did a little bit of everything for the Jets this year, which I feel really separated him from any other player on the blue line.  Along with Hainsey, he was constantly matched up against the oppositions top line, yet didn't have the same defensive mistakes as Byfuglien, Clitsome, or many others.  He contributed offensively with 5 goals and 9 assists for 14 points, which tied him with Jokinen for 10th on the team.  He hit, fought when he felt it was needed, and provided a dimension that was dearly missed when he was out for injury.  Hopefully the concussion he suffered at the end of the year turns out as nothing major, as number 44 was the Jets best defenseman.

Kevin McCartney (@kevinmccart)

Either we all know what we're talking about, or writing for Jets Nation is a small cult. I agree - Bogo ftw. I happened to write the nomination paragraph on him, so forgive me for repeating myself a bit. Bogosian played the toughest competition alongside his regular partner (Hainsey), but chipped in more offensively - taking 2nd in goals and shots on goal among defencemen despite playing only 33 games. Given his tough assignment and 45% zone starts (2nd toughest behind Hainsey), his -5 RelCorsi is understandable. As a two-way, rugged defenceman with a tough assignment, it can be hard to quantify his performance. Still, if we aggregate all the way up to wins, the Jets with Bogosian were 18-13-2 this season, while the Jets without him managed to go just 6-8-1. If I were on television, I'd shout that he was a monster until I ruined Mike Commodore's evening.

Jets Nation at large

Consensus reigns, as you chose Bogosian with 64% of your vote. Enstrom (despite playing just 22 games) took second with 27%. Maybe we've explained the Jets' season as easily as that - Bogosian was our best defenceman and missed 15 games. Enstrom was the second best and was out more than half the year. A silver lining to look forward to in 2013/14?

Your 2013 Best Defenceman, Zach Bogosian:

*****

Sign up for StreakCred - the new playoff pool game from the Nation Network. For only $20 you can win solid prizes and a portion of the proceeds go to supporting the MS Bike Tour and the Edmonton Down Syndrome Society. Never too late to sign up here

38cf2c318f1f284f974b60f35021d346
Kevin is the Managing Editor of Jets Nation. His work has been featured on Bleacher Report, The Sporting News, and around the Nations Network. An enthusiastic over-analyst, his background and interests are diverse, but you might notice he's obsessed with hockey. Track him down on twitter @kevinmccart or @nhljetsnation
#1 The Keystone Garter
May 11 2013, 10:03AM

Bufyglien, obviously. You might not like his personality but Robitaille and Messier are probably jerks in real life. Sergei Kharin had 5 pts in 7 games. 27% of you would think he was the best Jet that year. Having a 5 yr contract player hurt makes him a bad defenseman, not the best defenceman. Think Rob Johnson, who elevated his numbers by holding on too long. Bogosian was hurt again. Hainsey was two blocked shots away from league leader; wasn't as offensive but by playing 47 games he is over Zach. Lindros wasn't mean enough to protect himself; he should've ended some careers after targeted.

St.Louis strangely loaded up at the deadline without rotating their goalies. Vancouver at least gave Luongo a late B-day present. It is looking like Reimer and Anderson should be the Olympic starters (if healthy Reimer), but won't. I liked Tatar for the Wing's cuz they don't have as much scoring punch as they've had. Lashoff with a brutal turnover their veterans on the bench wouldn't have made. I guess they are going for a youth push and D is where they need it. I like the two Russian D (Zadorov, Mironov); I wish the Jets could get them both and just play them raw next year. I'd quit being a fan and rejoin the bandwagon in 2015. Mironov was a +7 in the KHL playoffs.

Jeff Reinbold played players he "liked". The Bombers aren'tweren't professional in judging talent. It carries over in the community.

#2 The Keystone Garter
May 11 2013, 10:06AM

Jeff Daniels was right.

#3 The Keystone Garter
May 11 2013, 03:20PM

What I learned from Robin Williams is that to be the best I can be, to be a Currie (personal life wrecked by neocons) and not a Haig, to understand the engineering of how my fields work and the ethics of how to apply them; I learned I should not sacrifice the species to be a nurse for a terminally ill loved one. The Romantic Ideal is not good for Captains. If you have to walk with a limp to set an example for the ages: so be it.

#4 The Keysotne Garter
May 11 2013, 05:47PM

Same msg to Leclair, with the American urge to get the prom queen (like Nic Cage), being the competing volition. It doesn't prepare you for the boring art of learning stuff. Trippenhorn set fire to Caostner's cabin for a reason. And here, hockey player were a good role model for me. If I can't take it, I'll drop out and have a family. Not plan A though. Plan A is defense.

#5 The Keystone Garter
May 11 2013, 07:38PM

I like being able to meter out my own anticipation when I need it, anyway. So Scotland begins universal public education around 1492. Scotland learns enough to help make The War of the Roses a proxy war to weaken England with help from. Henry the VIII breaks off from the Catholic Church to be a man-sl&^. Scotland rejects a Catholic invasion from the ground up. Then Scotland gets Union with England on equal terms and their smarter population is distributed throughout The Empire and in USA. Then hockey comes along and we don't need most war. Interesting trivia note: I almost lost my virginity in St. Malo.

#6 The Keystone Garter
May 11 2013, 08:10PM

So that's twice France and Scotland teamed up on a potentially expansionist England. And the smart Scottish people didn't accept Catholicism; we got The Bill of Rights. When the wealthy Scots invested in ABCP, the towns decided to join England, and infected said nations with prosperity: technology and utilitarianism. From that point on history was set (until the Space Age) with the market-forces-only technology of Europe going to war. St. Malo, like J.Cartier, lost.

#7 The Keystone Garter
May 12 2013, 12:32PM

Czechs were offside and didn't use their point near the game's end. Hutcheson had an appreciation of beauty and aestethetics. For a few hundreds years history was gradual breaks with the Catholic Church until Scottish diaspora. Because Hutcheson experienced the good life, he was able to empart an emotional response to his pupils that previously was the drug dispensed by preachers. He made learning "fun". Once you get a few dozen scholars hanging out, they get multidisciplinary shortcuts from eachother as well as self-selecting a division of labour over-time. Contemporarily, using technology for good means (not just revenue maxing) is part of the solution, but there is still a need to foresee the ends. Here it might be useful to assign every individual an EV value of engineering competancy (European enlightenment) and sub-odds of max Q-of-L ends engineering competancy (Scottish enlightenment).

If either Bogosian or Enstrom were healthy we'd've made the playoffs. There is a reason I became a Wings fan around 1992...you guys want an injury prone team that is lucky to make the playoffs and would never win a Cup.

#8 The Keystone Garter
May 14 2013, 06:43AM

I didn't think Byfuglien was that good last yr until the PP sputtered without him. But this yr it isn't even close. I guess the adversity of England not letting Scots into Oxford screens out most people, but it causes a few to have an even greater influence then would the scholars have had in aggregate if they were just allowed to teach. The Prebyterian Chirch wasn't pacifist; them as landlords wouldn't easily make friends with schizophrenic crackheads in Vancouver. So the modern world was formed out of revenge against the base of power: RCC. Now the power is neocons in Canada and USA. We had some pretty crappy Dmen replace your two faves; add their performances and you get both as #4 defencemen. When it was so blatently obvious the Scots were smarter/more-humane, The Commonwealth and USA let themselves be conquered, and subsequently controlled who wins and loses wars.

#9 The Keystone Garter
May 14 2013, 12:24PM

As much as I mock soccer, it prepares you for construction better than trunk-forming hockey. The footwork. Hockey is better for truly rising to the occasion; the Greek hero quality. NFL Football has the best division of labour; though their free market owners ignore scientists too much. CFL is most down to Earth. Bsaeball is good if you don't like your boss. There were buckets of gravel accumulating at the conveyor belt base that had already shut it down once. I thought about reaching in to pull them away, but instead I kicked one from a distance. The second time I moved away from the pile. I stayed healthy. Earlier, everyone kept ragging me to boost my pick count from 85/hr to 100/hr while using broken machines and giving me bitch shifts and withdrawing agreed to terms I was basing my renting decisions on. I waived myself. Bufyglien had better offensive #s than both players nominated; we'd play like Vancouver without him.

#10 The Keystone Garter
May 19 2013, 08:22AM

Leading games played by Jets D since new franchise: Stuart 122. Bufyglien 109. Hainsey 103. Bogosian 98. Enstrom 84. Clitsome 56 (would've been benched much of last year).

#11 The Keystone Garter
May 19 2013, 03:43PM

Forget parity, golfers. The last five Cup winners are tied or winning their series's. I thought that Visa commerical was referencing german "breathing space", not the word for laughing at the misfortune of others. WTG Visa. I can't book a hotel room or fly. hahaha. We have to be careful developing a brain science of the future, not to create new thoughts or emotions that lead to tyranny or anarchy.

#12 The Keystone Garter
May 19 2013, 09:16PM

Mooseheads lost momentum 1/2way thru the 3rd when a player went for the big penalized hit instead of the puck and an oddman offensive chance that might've got within one. Grapes on his game tonight. TSN said before the bronze medal game: it was a chance to get the 1st USA gold since 1962. CBC called the 1st peroid of Ott-Pit: the period's best period of the period. Lotsa mistakes now but skating as hard as they can. Funny story: my Dad drove me home during the 2nd period while on nerve pills. Visa's Shaudenfreud. We're about 30 years too early for german references. Crash the American economy; that's fine.

#13 The Keystone Garter
May 19 2013, 09:43PM

Snafu-ed the Lost Series and saw G.Howe play perfect: carrying the puck up ice, drawing two Soviet near his blueline and expertly passing to some open ice near the other blueline. That was awkward when I can back at the end of the game but it was even more awkward when I got dropped off at my Grade 1 class at 11pm and only my teacher and the janotior were there. Oh Visa...why do I need to make dumb choices to build a credit rating?? It looks like more powerful fMRI machines and waiting for better database mining will lead to mental illness cures and future better leader's choices. One researcher of the paper set up a consultancy, but you can't really lower taxes for just such an industry like you can set up a directed Crown from tax revenues...is why I'm ambivalent about C.Anderson getting the win for a cdn team.