Podcast Pilot

Steve Dangle
March 01 2013 11:56AM

I'm excited to show you guys this new pilot project! We don't have a name yet, but we're going to be talking about sports over beer at Tallboys' in downtown Toronto at 838 Bloor Street.

For the first week, I sit down for a pop with Jeff Veillette aka Jeffler of Leafs Nation, and Thomas Drance of Canucks Army, along with myself (Steve Dangle) to talk about Leafs goaltending, Canucks goaltending, tampering, and more.

Enjoy!

Tallboys' Website / Tallboys' Facebook / Tallboys' Twitter
Steve's Twitter / Jeff's Twitter / Thomas' Twitter
Rider Enterprises

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 12:08PM

so wait... you start this podcast then post it on OilersNation and your first topic of discussion is the LEAFS!?

*SCREAMS*

WTF

PS: GOod idea on the show. I'll continue watching this episode now..

#2 yawto
March 01 2013, 12:09PM

Podcast pilot? Does that mean this is your fist go at it?

#3 Kent Wilson
March 01 2013, 12:10PM

@A-Mc

It's a concept pilot we may want to repeat for other sites across the network, so we want to have as many folks as possible watch it and share their reaction.

#4 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 12:14PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

ya I'm not really raging. Just more poking fun. Kind of like how people rage over hockey night in Canada was always about the leafs

Speaking of commentary/hockey/Fan Personalities: I've sometimes thought it'd be fun to have the same kind of setup like in this pod cast, only they'd be adding a 2nd layer of commentary over a hockey game. kind of like a post game review but in video format with some good personalities. Think about it like Jonathan W.'s articles where he breaks down plays but only he does so in video format and then has a buddy next to him telling him he's stupid and that Horcoff is to blame for everything. It could be entertaining if the right personalities were picked for it.

#5 Kent Wilson
March 01 2013, 12:16PM

@A-Mc

Yeah I figured. But your comment gave me the opportunity to clarify.

#6 Kevin Cogen
March 01 2013, 12:21PM

Thomas is a well spoken guy, it's too bad his allegiance is with the Canucks. This was enjoyable to listen too, keep them coming guys.

#7 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 12:25PM

for the life of me, i cannot get this video to play past the 8:58 mark.

Reloading the page will show the full 13+ min podcast but once it starts to load/play, it will stop at 8:58 and show it as the 'new' 100% completed state.

youtube just hates me right now i guess. I'll try again later.

#8 john doe
March 01 2013, 12:27PM

video was good. good topics agree with most of it. no comments on JVR or other injuries wouldve liked some comments on what you think Coach will do when players come back. and when will next LFR video be posted???

#9 Fatbob24
March 01 2013, 12:32PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

So why go leafs and canucks? don't we have like 8 times as many hits as any of the other sites?

#10 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 12:33PM

Mop head in the middle is like the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class.

I liked it. For a pilot, i think it was good.

Would these same guys do other teams? or would it be the other team writers doing their version?

#11 Kent Wilson
March 01 2013, 12:48PM

@Fatbob24

This is Steve Dangle's baby. his concept, he got the talent/production together, etc.

#12 Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
March 01 2013, 01:09PM
A-Mc wrote:

I liked it. For a pilot, i think it was good.

This is my new Life Bio.

#13 leafnerd
March 01 2013, 01:18PM

I kindly suggest they don't beer while discussing hockey. Maybe they should try water or coffee.

#14 A-Mc
March 01 2013, 01:19PM
leafnerd wrote:

Why not?

Maybe there is an advertising angle involved there. Beer + Hockey = Winning combination.

#15 Kent Wilson
March 01 2013, 01:20PM

@A-Mc

DING DING

#16 Romulus' Apotheosis
March 01 2013, 02:01PM

Toronto huh... you guys should get Dellow.

the intro was a little forced... but it would be smart for you guys to try and get come cross-promotion with local bars.

Also... figures that Drance gave the Argos the diss. doesn't know anything about the Oil or my city.

... is a podcast usually video?

#17 Wangtaco
March 01 2013, 02:35PM

Isn't Thomas Drance the putz who wrote the article about the Oilers for Vice? Tough to argue that article was anything but tasteless and crass (and poorly written!)

That alone is reason enough to pass on the show, but when you compound it with his pathetic, inane "input", I'll give it a double pass.

I like the input from the other two, though.

#18 Kent Wilson
March 01 2013, 03:06PM

@Wangtaco

Well the question for you is...would you like something like this centered around OilersNation?

#19 Big Papi
March 01 2013, 03:48PM

Forget the Leafcentric commentary.

I'm more concerned that they're drinking canned beer in a bar. Get some glass, philistines!

#20 Archaeologuy
March 01 2013, 04:25PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Only if One side is Madjam, One side is DSF, and David S is facepalming the entire time in the middle.

#21 bookofloob
March 01 2013, 05:12PM

So Kenny, when are we doing this in Calgary?

#22 Helicopter Guy
March 01 2013, 05:36PM
Kent Wilson wrote:

Yes please. The pilot was decent. It would be even better with a focus on what matters most...Oilers shizz.

Also - Beer and hockey talk have always gone together. Who's Grandmother made that post?

#23 Pension Plan Puppets
March 01 2013, 06:28PM

I will not stand for Drance's lack of respect for the Grey Cup champion Toronto Argonauts. What a putz.

Also, that will be the first and last time in history the Leafs are referred to as a 'lovable underdog'.

#24 DSF
March 01 2013, 06:37PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

I'm in!

But I'll need my own trailer on the set.

And beer makes me fart.

#25 Pension Plan Puppets
March 01 2013, 06:38PM

Further Thoughts:

1. Bring back Fat Jeffler (just kidding, nice work buddy) 2. Jeffler needs to be more assertive 3. I want someone to shotgun a beer on this show. Maybe whoever says the worst thing. 4. GAHHHHHH Can't believe Gillis almost didn't go to Sweden 5. Good overall. Would enjoy it again although they might want to put some powder on Drance's dome.

#26 erik blazynski
March 01 2013, 08:06PM

This is more an online video than a podcast. I would recommend the following.. Create an audio verison, and an rss feed and I think people would listen/watch. Get on stitcher and iTunes so that people can subscribe.

#27 David S
March 01 2013, 09:36PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Woodguy would be the only one of us who could provide adequate statistical facepalm support.

#28 David S
March 01 2013, 09:38PM

Also, jeez that's some pretty high production value for a "podcast".

Only non-union guy that could pull that off on a budget out west would be Jeanshorts. Dude is a magician with video.

#29 Diya
March 01 2013, 10:31PM

It's hard to pass judgement on the podcast from a pilot; these things have a way of finding their footing after a few episodes. However, I do think it is a worth while project that I would definitely watch. I'm a Habs fan, so that isn't a thirst for any and all content about the Leafs or Canucks talking. Would also like to see how different team sites would put their own spin on this format.

A few notes: - intro titles under each person the first time they are on camera (where the crawl typically goes) would help avoid having to introduce the participants every podcast.

- We don't need the participants to tell us what they are drinking, unless you guys already have endorsement deals in place. It's awkward, takes up time, and no one is really going to care.

- I appreciate that it's a multi-camera production, and I think Steve did a wonderful job with the editing.

- I like that it is kept short at 15 to 30 minutes. Viewers are busy and can't commit to much more than that -- depending on how often these are made. The more often they are released, the shorter they should probably be.

- Will this be Dangle's show with rotating guests or the same two guys? I would welcome more stats based discussion and a mix of voices upon occasion -- not just the white male blogger.

- This is shallow, but... I find Jeffler's hair distracting. He makes some good points and all I'm thinking is that something MUST be done about that hair.

#30 Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
March 01 2013, 11:08PM
Pension Plan Puppets wrote:

Further Thoughts:

The proper term is Fatler, dude (I'll be more assertive next ep)

#31 Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
March 01 2013, 11:09PM
erik blazynski wrote:

It's coming, don't worry.

#32 Rocket
March 01 2013, 11:35PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Win

#33 Czar
March 02 2013, 09:52AM

@Pension Plan Puppets

The "lovable underdog"? I threw up in my mouth when I heard that.

#34 JCDavies
March 02 2013, 10:40AM

@Kent Wilson

I would watch more of these if they are made.

Couple questions:

How do they plan to do this? Is Dangle going to bring in you to talk about the Flames or Willis to talk about Edmonton, for example, or will it be the same group discussing all seven Canadian teams or all 30 NHL teams?

I prefer to read/listen to people discuss things they know about and follow regularly. There are already a couple of large media companies in Toronto that have a bunch of people that talk about players they haven't seen play and games they haven't watched. In this case, with Drance (Vancouver) and Jeff and Dangle (Toronto) it worked out.

When was this made? Sometime after Luongo's Detroit debacle but before Reimer came back? There seems to be a delay in posting video.

#35 Kent Wilson
March 02 2013, 10:45AM

@JCDavies

We'd have to figure it out, but I think we'd either do 1 primary show for across the network or replicate it in other markets with key figures there. Depends on price/availability, etc.

I believe it was recorded on Wednesday, which is actually a pretty quick turn around for a vid like this.

#36 Czar
March 02 2013, 10:55AM

This Beer Banter is missing a hot waitress or shooter girl. After a couple shots the boys could drop the gloves and I'm sure the results would be very entertaining. Look forward to the next one guys!

#37 Dane
March 04 2013, 08:50PM

That was a great pilot, guys!! I'll continue to watch more of your podcasts!! Keep up the great work!! Cheers!!

#38 kobegeee
March 06 2013, 02:06PM

I loved the podcast, as a Leafs fan I loved how much you talked about them, but I can see how fans of other teams may not like that... I thought the video quality was great... Keep up the good work!

#39 Cam
March 07 2013, 04:50AM

Thought it was a pretty good pilot episode. Guy in the middle just looks awkward and is quite distracting with his hair and sketchy smile lol