BOTCHED

Brian Sutherby
October 11 2013 06:48PM

The dressing room is supposed to be a safe place for players. That is said time and again between coaches and players. Things that are said or happen between those walls stay between those walls.

Joe Thornton is making headlines today, for a comment he directed in a humorous way at a scrum of reporters that were interviewing another player. He was not being interviewed himself. He said something sarcastic about scoring four goals in one game and what he would do to celebrate.

““I’d have my c*** out, if I scored four goals. I’d have my c*** out, stroking it.”

RESPECT

There is no actual line or set rule between media and players of what is and isn’t on the record. As a player there is just an understanding and trust that if someone asks you for an interview or if you can chat with a microphone in your face, that is when it's on the record.

Generally media members show the respect and know that chatter throughout the locker room amongst teammates and off the cuff jokes at reporters are not considered on the record.

The fact that there is no actual rule unfortunately leaves Joe with no one to blame but himself. He now has to live with the comment and every player in the league is now more aware that there are a few amongst the media they cannot trust.

BOTCHFORD

The man who published those comments about Joe was Jason Botchford, who can be found on TSN discussing STUDS & DUDS each week.

He had this to say on TSN's That's Hockey! show when asked why he published the quote.

“Frankly, it was a pretty easy decision for me. It’s nonsense that this is off the record. Joe interrupted, with insolence another scrum to tell a reporter, Farhan Lalji of TSN, to ‘shut up.’ Twenty reporters turned to Joe, he said his joke, and a joke that really made the whole Hertl discussion seem ridiculous. I think it was appropriate to go forward with publishing the quote, for a lot of reasons.
First and foremost, because I work for a publication that asks me to think, write and report with edge, and that’s what I think I did today.” “The problem here for Joe is that he said the comment to about 20 reporters. I looked around, about half of them had cameras. If any of them had reported it, and I had not, I would have been called to the carpet by my boss and asked why I didn’t publish one of the quotes of the year.”

Fair enough, in all likelihood he would have been called to the red carpet by his boss, but I only saw one of the 20 reporters actually publish the quotes. They most likely have bosses too and I'd bet every reporter around the league could do this daily if they chose to.

NOT RIGHT

If Joe Thornton was not directly in a media scrum with 20 microphones in his face or in a one on one with someone, then I don’t know why this is something that is being published.

If it was something that Jason Botchford thought was on the record, the polite thing to do would be to ask Joe if that was ‘on the record’ or a useable quote.

Everyone knows the obvious answer.

TRUST

Ultimately the people that may be affected by this action are other media members trying cozy up and earn the trust of players so that in time they can snag a juicer quote. Over the years I considered many media members my friends and I assume vice versa.

Most hockey players are a difficult quote. The trickle down is potentially less comfort from the players and an even more watered down version of your token cliché from players to the fans.

SHHHH

Now some people will say “well just don’t say anything while the media is there”

What usually happens for players is you come off the ice and many times you are getting undressed and the locker room is filled with media. Media members come in every morning and post game to get their quotes. Some stay to shoot the breeze and as players you develop great trust with these guys and can eventually talk about certain things that maybe aren’t things you want made public.

It’s not like players can hide, some media stick around for 20 minutes or more. Asking players to not speak across their own dressing room is not the solution.

STUDS & DUDS

Should Joe Thornton have been more careful with what he said? Sure.

Should Jason Botchford have been more thoughtful with what he published? Yes.

For the respectful ones in the media and the fans it would be unfortunate but I could eventually see this happen.

Mr. Botchford, you sir are a DUD.

C76a4c69c9026575581a01d4ac34111c
A Moose Jaw Warriors alumnus and veteran of 460 NHL games with the Capitals, Ducks and Stars—Sutherby is here to regale us with tales of the WJHC, life as an NHL player and much more from a Pro’s perspective. Co-Host's the Jason Gregor show on TSN1260 on Tuesday's from 3-5 and Coaches at www.proconnectionhockey.com Twitter:@briansutherby
#1 Robin Brownlee
October 11 2013, 06:53PM

Bang on.

#2 The Oilers Shot Clock
October 11 2013, 07:16PM

Ummm...I don't need to score 4 goals to celebrate like that. My criteria is much less stringent. I celebrate a lot is what I'm trying to say.

#3 chibbs
October 11 2013, 06:56PM

The fact that this is even a "thing" is stupid... If you can lip read there are far worse things players say on any given night. Personally, I though it was funny and like the guy a little bit more now.

#4 Robin Brownlee
October 11 2013, 08:01PM

@STAN

Let me take a page from your book. You obviously have no idea what a journalist's job is. You think you do. You don't.

Showing some discretion in what is reported doesn't make a reporter a cheerleader, although there are plenty of those, to be sure.

When a reporter sits down with a player one on one with notepad and pen or recorder/camera in hand, the player should assume what is being said to that reporter is on the record. At any time, the player may indicate a comment -- best done beforehand -- is off the record.

Same thing for the player in a scrum situation. The assumption is what is being said to the reporters in that scrum is on the record. Why would they think otherwise?

That doesn't translate to anything that's said in the dressing room being "fair game." Reporters granted access hear a lot of banter and back-and-forth between players. Off-color jokes, locker room talk.

Overhearing a conversation or anything that's being said outside of an interview situation and recording it by any means and than distributing it is flat-out sleazy.

If you get a quote that's such a sizzler outside an interview situation and you're tempted to use it, the easiest way to approach this issue fairly is to simply ask -- "is that on the record or are we just talking here?"

When you're in and out of the same dressing room with many of the same players for years and years, there is an assumption of trust and there is a relationship. If the players don't trust you, you won't get anything out of them except the clichés you mentioned. Jason B. can expect a steady diet of that from now on.

Actual reporting? You believe reporting a smart-assed remark like the one Thornton offered up qualifies as that? OK.

#5 STAN
October 11 2013, 07:27PM

Obviously the editorialist and most of the comments here are from people who have no idea what a journalist's job is and the clear rules about 'off the record'.

Just because 19 of 20 sports 'reporters' (usually cheerleaders, NOT journalists) chose not to report the story doesn't mean they were right.

It's a clear indication that most of the mic-holders in locker rooms are just there to get the same, predictable cliched quotes, day in and day out, and to constantly sing the praises of the jocks and the glorious teams they cover.

There are some obvious exceptions and we know who they are. Botchford was perfectly entitled to report the Thornton remark and anything else spoken in that room.

If he's banned (which I doubt) it would say everything you'd need to know about the team and the league - "if you start to do actual reporting, we'll contact your employer and threaten to ban you AND the organization. So stay in line and cheerlead. Those are the rules. Thanks for covering the game and reporting the score."

I expect nothing but TRASHES for my opinion.

#6 "Frank the dog"
October 11 2013, 08:38PM

I hate to think what Thornton would do if he had a night like Gags did against Chicago.

#7 mlcsellil
October 11 2013, 07:07PM

Locker room talk is just that, and should stay there. Thortons' comments might be a smidge off colour, but will be considered classic and timeless. My guess is that Botchford just committed career suicide with his "big story". Joe Thorton has always been classy, a gentleman and respected around the league and in front of the media. I personally thought his comment was hilarious, even though I really should not have been privy to it.

#8 beloch
October 11 2013, 07:07PM

The whole "If I didn't do it somebody else would have" argument is classic scummy criminal/banker thinking. The correct response for Thornton is to sleep easy knowing Botchford won't be in an NHL dressing room ever again while those 19 other guys who didn't do it will.

#9 44stampede
October 11 2013, 07:41PM

@STAN

I do see your point but why would they allow them in the locker room at all?

I also doubt that he had " for the purity of journalism" in his heart as he reported this.

#10 Reinman
October 12 2013, 06:04AM
John wrote:

Articles like this have the best intentions, but just invite the rapey comments like the two above.

Although not overtly rapey, their whole premise is to say something nasty other people don't want to hear.

The grossness of The Nation.

And what gives you the right to dictate what "people" want to hear.

I didn't vote for you to be the spokesmen of the "people".

#11 bwar
October 12 2013, 03:42AM

I thought Joe was bang on, when you score four goals you should get your cock out and stroke it. I'm sure gags did when he popped four on Chicago.

#12 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 12 2013, 08:04AM
puckapades wrote:

Let me try and sum it up for everyone here. WHO THE EFFING HELL CARES?

this. 1000 times this.

#13 Ryan2
October 11 2013, 07:54PM

I thought Botchford was a tool before, and this just backs it up. Bitter critter Nucks beat writer syndrome.

FWIW, I can't stand the Vancouver media types. I was at VC conference for work a couple of years ago just prior to the Nucks/Bruins series. At one of the receptions a few of us started discussing who we thought would win. I was the only one who picked the B's, and in five games - the other participants were either from Vancouver or Canadians who said hoped the Nucks would win. A couple of them politely asked why and I said the B's were deeper, bigger, had better goaltending and the Sedins would fold in crunch time. There was a way too drunk way too early G&M writer from Vancouver at the end of the bar who overheard me and then proceeded to tell me how wrong I would be and what I an idiot I was for picking against the Nucks for the next 5 minutes. Needless to say, I hope his business advice/analysis is better than his hockey.

#14 psa
October 11 2013, 08:38PM

@Robin Brownlee

Except Thornton interrupted an on-the-record interview and directed his comments at reporters.

From the San Jose Mercury News: "A similar incident occurred 24 hours earlier in San Jose when Thornton was the one being asked about criticism of Hertl's goal and linemate Brent Burns jumped in.

"Four goals! He's a 19-year-old kid," Burns said, adding a cheerful expletive or two. "I'd be naked."

Thornton's comment went in that same direction, only much further and more graphic."

So why is it OK to quote Burns but not Thornton?

#15 Gerald R. Ford
October 11 2013, 08:54PM

It's an uncool thing for a reporter (or whatever he is) to write it down, but it's an unbelievably stupid thing for an editorial staff to validate it by allowing it to be published. Or to not have controls in place that allowed him to publish it. Whichever it was.

And, "one of the quotes of the year"? Really? What's next, an exclusive expose on Dustin Byfuglien's hemorrhoids? Sure, why not? The public needs to know!

Polish up the Pulitzer.

#16 Cam Charron
October 11 2013, 10:11PM

"If it was up to me, the media wouldn’t be allowed in the actual dressing room anymore. Players would be brought to a specific media room when requested by the media. Eliminate that invisible line for everyone."

This is how it works in junior hockey and it is a much, MUCH better format.

#17 44stampede
October 11 2013, 07:22PM

The guy made a mistake. Sucks as it may cost him a lot. What player is going to trust him or give him an interview?

As for Joe, I can't imagine that is the worst thing to come out of an NHL locker room. I would see that as regular banter around teammates. Can't fault him for that. He has probably said and done way worse things around the media for years without some jackass calling him on it.

#18 onevoline
October 11 2013, 08:33PM

I think the idea of a designated media room, and keeping the locker room closed, make so much sense that I cannot imagine who resists it. It just seems so invasive to ask a guy who just finished a high intensity athletic endeavour, and is now taking off all of his clothes, to try to answer questions that are often kind of pushy and even rude.

That said, isn't it also ridiculous for Thornton to pull the the "you didn't play the game" card? I gotta think that Lalji's question, which was surely a dumb one, still had to be asked, and it doesn't do anyone any good to treat the guy asking it like he is an idiot for doing his job.

Finally, this is likely one of the biggest stories of Botchford's career. He burned a bridge (probably a bunch of them) but one of his stories was covered and discussed across the league. Websites like deadspin, which trade in these kinds of salacious details of the lives of athletes, are exceptionally popular. I can't help but feel that the enormous market for a story like this is part of why this is happening too. I don't believe that makes it right, but it is asking a lot of people like Botchford, in the current media climate, to resist reporting something like that. Just sayin'.

#19 Abby Oil
October 11 2013, 09:03PM

Really? For the most part I'm just a regular Joe that works his butt off in a labour intensive job. Yes, I am in management now and perhaps no longer on the front lines everyday, but do recall where I have come from.....How many times have you made a comment that you would not say at home or around anyone else other than the work boys while at work? Especially after a really good shift or otherwise.

If I had to answer to the world everyday after work about my performance..... Jason Botchford is a loser and his TSN interview was nothing but extra P.R. for him. He is thriving off this. Drives me nuts. His position in the locker is a privilege and he should respect it like local guys Cam Cole, Jim Matheson, Robin Brownlee etc have in the past......

What would have happened to Cam Cole had he done this to Mark Messier in the 80's??

#20 quinn the eskimo
October 11 2013, 09:23PM

I hate that 'Did you ever play the game' crap that some athletes pull on reporters trying to do their jobs. Really? Is that what you have Joe? A verbal face wash for Farhan? Botch got his dander up about the abuse a local colleague was taking in the course of his duty and he lashed out a bit by publishing the quote . Nothing Joe wouldn't do in similar circumstances on the ice. Give Botch an instigator minor and move on.

#21 puckapades
October 12 2013, 03:00AM

Let me try and sum it up for everyone here. WHO THE EFFING HELL CARES?

#22 LoweBlow
October 12 2013, 08:45AM

I thought it was hilarious, and true. Are we forgetting that these are athletes in a dressing room? It's not like they have a cup of tea after the game.

Giggle, or don't. Then move on.

#23 Ted
October 11 2013, 07:21PM

I don't mind Botch reporting that at all. I don't know how anyone could think it was off the record. It was in the middle of a media scrum. It was a stupid thing said by a stupid player. What else can you say?

Dumbo Joe isn't an overly educated man nor does he seem too bright. I know the NHL have media education seminars but I guess Dumbo skipped class. Who knows.

#24 Spurzey
October 12 2013, 04:20AM

When Botch gets railroaded out of all the nhl rooms, I would like to invite him into our oldtime beer league room after one of our games to get about 50 quotes per nite that would be on the record! Feels like time to go and "score 4"

#25 Slats
October 11 2013, 09:23PM

@STAN

I think that Botchford's decision to print the quote was not about the should I publish the quote or not - this was Botchford's chance to make a story so we talk about Botchford. Now I hope your 15 seconds is over and Studs and Duds is dropped as every player in NHL refuses to give you a quote or interview.

. . .fade away please Mr. Botch-ford (what a perfect name you have how ironic)

#26 quinn the eskimo
October 11 2013, 09:31PM

If he ever gets to 3, he's gonna get benched.

#27 Craig1981
October 12 2013, 08:11AM
Gored wrote:

Sean Avery's "sloppy seconds" comment was widely reported and he was crucified but there was no discussion among the media if perhaps that was a poor attempt at humor and should have been omitted. You guys are as pathetic as the NHL OPS for you are willing to censor comments based on who made them.

OMG you missed the point. Sean Avery actually said "do you have a camera" and then made the comments after the reporter said sure!

At 48 seconds he asked for the camera!!! TOTALLY different.

#28 Iron Stick 69
October 11 2013, 08:04PM

Someone needs to tell Joe that when you open your mouth, other people can hear what you're saying. I thought that there was really nothing off the record when you're in front of reporters with MICROPHONES and RECORDING DEVICES.what's next, should we not be allowed to take photos i public just because someone walks in front of the scene?

#29 Jackson
October 12 2013, 10:56AM

With Botchford the issue is never the issue. The issue is always ratings.

Botchford is a troll.

#30 Hard Puck City
October 11 2013, 07:56PM

I thought things like this were common sense. If you don't want someone or a group of people to know something, keep your mouth shut. You wouldn't do stupid things in a washroom in front of other people and expect whatever it was not to " leak " out, would you? Pun intended.

But then again, half the folks in the world have no common sense. Thornton told a " joke" and expect no one to speak of it? I thought a " joke " is something you tell 'other people', not to yourself.

#31 quinn the eskimo
October 11 2013, 09:45PM

@Deebs

Really? OK, cool. So, every guy with a mic, a camera, a laptop and a communications degree has to also have played pro sports before he's taken seriously. OK. Have fun reading the sports section in the Sun tomorrow. Also, same criteria, political reporters have to have held public office before they have the credentials to write copy. Any you need, what, to comment here? Nothing. Carry on then.

#32 John
October 12 2013, 04:24AM

The grossness of The Nation.

#33 Taylor Gang
October 11 2013, 07:10PM

#34 #ThereGoesTheOilers
October 11 2013, 09:29PM

Given how awesome this quote is, I kinda hope Joe has a 4 goal night now.

#35 Quicksilver ballet
October 12 2013, 12:51AM

I'm all for anything that isn't continually sanitized for public consumption. Who wants to listen to all the usual BS quotes we've all heard a thousand times before. From all the B/S that's passed off as content in todays game. It certainly appears Mr. Botchford isn't the only reporter they're mad at. Who would want to go to work everyday wearing any sort of BS handcuffs. Good on Botchford for reporting truth. Last time I checked, it use to go hand in hand with that word Trust.

If i'm in charge over at TSN, I ramming Botchford down their throats at every opportunity. Plop him in Toronto and stir this longstanding bullship tradition. If Thornton didn't know saying anything in front of a group of 20 reporters isn't considered on the record, then that's not Botchfords problem.

Now THAT, would be cutting edge. Truth, what a concept.

#36 Thin line? For who?
October 12 2013, 01:24AM

Botchford is employed by the Province. The Province is a 'media' outlet both in paper and on line. They hand him a pay check every 2 weeks to do his job that they hired him for. They got him media passes so he can go into the teams dressing rooms and act as a a liason between the public and the players. He can go where us fans can't. That's what the Province pays him for. The act of media walking into the players dressing rooms after/before a game to get info for their stories is as old as hockey itself. This is not news. It should not be news to you, I, or the players.

So how did this become Botchfords or >> fault? He walked where he's walked thousands of times into a room where 'said' players were expecting his arrival. He got quotes that were available to 20+ reporters, none of them were off the record or told in secrecy. He took what worked for his story - and he wrote it. He didn't make it up. He didn't plagiarize. Nothing he did was illegal. In fact, he was ----- get this people ------ suspense------ suspense ------ DOING HIS JOB. OH My! Someone call 911.

Is Botchford supposed to be a mindreader?

Don't you love being in a relationship where the girlfriend or boyfriend - out of know where seemingly- starts giving you the silent treatment. You ask "what's wrong?" only to have them scowl at you and say nothing. Giving you the "you should know look". Yes, well paralell the situation. Was Botchford supposed to know a quote that wasn't 'off the record' was off limits? Should he have displayed superhuman powers for our purpose?

People are making farrrr to big of a deal about this. "Should he have asked Thorton if it was off the record?" - why? Should I ask the guy who's handing me a paycheck after I've worked all week for him "you sure you really want to give me this. You can keep it if you want". I know I worked for this guy all week, he knew he had to pay me for working for him. Thorton knew there were multiple reporters in the room. He cut off a reporter by yelling obscenities at him - and they reported what he said. end of story.

Did the other reporters write anything about this quote? No. But they were scooped by Botchford. Were they gonna write it after the fact ....... the storys already been broken by another reporter. That's journalism 101.

Cal down people. Some people actually do their job for a living. And as fans, we should be grateful that those 'liaisons' are actually doing their jobs otherwise we'd never know anything about the hockey players we love watching play.

#37 Pouzar99
October 12 2013, 02:44AM

In my 30 years as a journalist it was always clear that anything a public figure said without an explicit agreement BEFOREHAND was on the record. Joe Thornton has been around long enough to know that, not that I was offended by his comment. It just shows Joe has a bawdy sense of humor.

Believe me every public figure would love to talk glibly and wildly in front of reporters without fear of their words coming back to huant them. The warrior-worshipers masquerading as journalists in Afghanistan, gave US General Stanley McCrystal that privlege without an agreement and he got away with saying some wild things. He made the mistake of making mocking comments about the Vice President in front a of a real journalist, Michael Hastings of Rolling Stone, and he is now enjoying life as a civilian.

Journalism is a job. You are not in it to make friends with your subjects or enjoy hanging out with celebrities. It is certainly fair to cut non public figures some slack, and judgement will always be required. I am not criticizing the 20 reporters who did not report Thornton's quote. It is not like he said the referees are blind pigs. I am only defending the one person who reported the quote. He betrayed no one, and broke no rule. He only used his discretion to report something that may make his job more difficult in the future.

#38 Gored
October 12 2013, 06:43AM

#39 Mike Modano's Dog
October 12 2013, 12:10AM

Anyone who would have published that joke needs to get a life...and then not tell us about that either.

I think what Thornton said was hilarious. If you were in his dressing room would you have stood up and told him that you felt his comments were inappropriate? No. Why - because there is nothing wrong at all with cracking that joke (especially in a dressing room!)

This is simply the act of a tattle-tale trying to suck up for his own gain. If that isn't clear then I don't know what you would feel is off the record for a pro athlete who has the right to live a private life, too. Go and start pawing through their garbage because it is your 'right' as the public 'has to know' about this. Quote of the year, my A**!

Joe has a right to make an off-coloured joke the same as all of us in the dressing room do. The point that should be made is that he was sticking up for a rookie - who doesn't even have a strong grasp of our language.

(Remember the backlash for Nail last year? I wish someone would have told those reporters to shut up last year too - especially those that never played the game themselves, then doled out judgement when they don't have a clue themselves what it is like to be a player.)

Personally, I think Jason Botchford just showed himself for what he really is. He isn't a hockey reporter, not in my books. Good luck in your next career!

Ironically, if he didn't like Joe's treatment of the other reporter if he would have reported THAT, and what he said directly to that reporter WITHOUT tattling by sharing a private joke - and came out and said his opinion about that objectively, I actually would have respected that - whether or not I agreed personally with his point of view. This was a chicken-sh*t, bush-league stunt - and I hope he himself gets sent down to the minors now that he has shown himself for what he is. Oh, and welcome to the 3 a.m. weather updates, di*k-head!

#40 quinn the eskimo
October 12 2013, 12:41AM

@Mike Modano's Dog

"Ironically, if he didn't like Joe's treatment of the other reporter if he would have reported THAT, and what he said directly to that reporter WITHOUT tattling by sharing a private joke - ":

Fine, but the point is, it wasn't a private joke. Thornton said that into the the mic. What, Joe didn't see Farhan, the seasoned, regular, locker room reporter in Vancouver? Come on. He insinuated himself on the interview loudly, so, not so much off the record, and he did while bullying a reporter. Big man Joe, tries to scare little 'never played the game' Farhan to save the sensitive hide of his rookie Hirtle. Class. Code. Yeah, right.

I'm in Van, and I take my lumps as an old Oiler dude, but Botchford is a righteous reporter in my books and Joe got stung for being an a$$hole out loud. So there ya go, Joe. Jumbo. Big guy. Hero. Chasing off nasty ol' Farhan. Wear it, with your c*ck out.

So the old school reporters writing on this blog don't stand up for Farhan, but justify the locker room 'code' and good ol' Jumbo's right to be a d1ck in saftey? Pffff... whatevs.

#41 NVM 007
October 12 2013, 07:09AM

@John

I don't think bwar's comments are rapey. It's just evident that he likes thinking about cocks and stroking cocks. Maybe he's gay. Not that there's anything wrong with a man being gay or thinking about cocks and cocks being stroked by their owners hands.

#42 Deebs
October 11 2013, 09:52PM
quinn the eskimo wrote:

Did I say pro sports? Think I said "hadn't played the sport" as in organized hockey in general, which is what Joe was referring to also moron. How embarrassing for you.

#43 Jack!
October 12 2013, 08:33AM
NVM 007 wrote:

Nothing wrong with that? Sounds pretty wrong to me.

#44 Marlow
October 12 2013, 09:19AM

As a former sports reporter myself, I most likely would have asked Thornton a bit later if I could run with the quote before doing so. Brian is absolutely right. Many reporters spend years building relationships with players and most players worked with knew that unless I had a microphone in your face, it was off the record...pure and simple. Maybe it was because I worked primarily with junior players but I was always especially careful not to run anything that could be considered off the record or do anything to break the trust that I spent a long time building. And because of that, I never had a problem talking with players as they knew I wasn't going to throw them under the bus just to publish a juicy quote.

#45 Lloyd B.
October 11 2013, 08:54PM

Nothing to see here folks. Move on.

#46 Deebs
October 11 2013, 10:06PM

@quinn the eskimo

Shush now child

#47 Dog Train
October 11 2013, 11:56PM

I am glad that Botchford was called to the mat on That's Hockey and in another radio interview I saw with him. Obviously Joe was kidding when he told his joke. Botchford will have a hell of a time getting a good quote out of anybody now.

#48 quinn the eskimo
October 12 2013, 12:50AM

@Deebs

shush this.

#49 John
October 12 2013, 01:07AM

These imaginary lines don't mean much to me. I'm not in that hockey-world goldfish bowl, so I don't really care about what the reporter did.

But man, Joe's greasy...I shuddered reading that quote.

#50 quinn the eskimo
October 12 2013, 01:07AM

@Quicksilver ballet

"If i'm in charge over at TSN, I ramming Botchford down their throats at every opportunity. Plop him in Toronto and stir this longstanding bullship tradition. Is it really any different than a hooker plying her trade? At the end of the day it's all about the money. The NHL is the john, and TSN is the hooker....they need each other really."

Whose throats? What longstanding tradition? Never mind TSN, are you even 'in charge' of your mind? Hookers, Johns... I don't really get you, QSB. Never have.