Jets Nation Casting Call

Kent Wilson
January 28 2013 11:19AM

So NHL hockey is back and every nation site is rocking with tons of daily content, comments, arguments and the odd terrible MS paint picture or photoshop.

Every site, that is, except for the baby in the network: JetsNation.

I convinced Wanye to buy JetsNation.ca and develop the site as soon as they announced a team would be returning to Winnipeg because, hey! Opportunity! I figured it would be easy to track down tons of shiny new excited bloggers and that JetsNation would be bigger than the Beatles in no time.

Okay, so that didn't quite work out as planned. Nothing is ever that easy I've come to realize, so for now JN sits more or less a nascent shell of a site, just waiting to blossom into yet another active community of armchair GMs and assorted fanatics arguing about who should and shouldn't be dressing on the 4th line.

So it's time for us to get serious about staffing the joint. We are looking for committed Jets fans/writers to add to the team here at the Nations. In particular we need someone to be the managing editor and primary voice - someone willing to set the tone for the site, establish priorities, edit other contributors, moderate discussion and just more or less be in charge of the place. OilersNation, FlamesNation, Canucks Army and LeafsNation all started from similarly humble beginnings and now the network boasts more than 2 million pageviews a month and recently sent members from those four sites to the last NHL entry draft.

For now, writing at JN will be a voluntary position while we drum up traffic and revenue to sustain it, but down the line we can promise bigger and better things for the the folks who help us get it on its feet.

So here's what we're looking for

- Jets fan, naturally. Know the team, love the team, but be willing to think and write about it critically.

- Some writing background, preferably in sports/hockey.

- At last a passing familiarity with advanced stats/analysis in hockey. You don't have to be a stats nerd or anything, but some knowledge in this area (or a willingness to learn) is required.

- A thick skin (be prepared for criticism in the comments!).

- Some familiarity with blog platforms/html as well as social media like twitter.

- Enough time/availability to write several articles per week and check on the site multiple times daily.

- A sense of humor.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, please send me an email at kent.wilson@gmail.com and we'll talk.

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
#1 Avalain
January 28 2013, 01:52PM

Ahh, so close! I have almost all of the necessary requirements.

I'm just missing the first 6.

#2 Ryan Pike
January 28 2013, 03:44PM

@Smytty's Jibs

As per Jay Feaster's instructions, she has a no-movement clause.

#3 Wanye
January 28 2013, 11:55AM

If no one gets on board with this Kent I swear I will blog about the Jets for you. I've carried the load before I can do it again!*

*That's what she said

#4 book¡e
January 28 2013, 11:56AM

I also think you should encourage your ON 'members' to visit the other sites (perhaps they have a second favorite team) and comment. A vibrant comments section is so valuable and what makes sites like ON addictive.

#5 rubbertrout
January 28 2013, 12:50PM

As an aside, I've been to the Tilted Kilt in Calgary and they don't look like the banner ad at all.

#6 Jonathan Willis
January 28 2013, 11:26AM

I'm thinking this article should have had a Joe Diffie song embedded somewhere...

#7 Carlos Danger
January 28 2013, 11:50AM

Is loving that a-hole Louis Riel also a prerequisite?

#8 ubermiguel
January 28 2013, 11:57AM
Carlos Danger wrote:

Is loving that a-hole Louis Riel also a prerequisite?

What position does he play?

#9 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
January 28 2013, 12:12PM
book¡e wrote:

This might be accomplished by cross-posting like you did for the BOA GDB, or the way that some NHLNumbers article series are posted to the entire Nation group.

If we've veen talking about how the Oilers need a goalie, as an example, a profile on Ondrej Pavelec posted to JN might also be appropriate for a crosspost to ON.

#10 rubbertrout
January 28 2013, 12:44PM

I presume the payment for such a person would be untold riches?

Maybe you should mine the Atlanta Thrashers blogging community. I hear it was really vibrant and self-sustaining.

#11 bookofloob
January 28 2013, 01:25PM

I will gladly share half of Vintage Flame's salary with whoever takes on this opportunity.

#12 2004Z06
January 28 2013, 01:59PM

Do they have that internet thingy in Winterpeg? I am just kidding.....get on it boys!

#14 Cam Charron
January 28 2013, 03:18PM

Go Leafs Go!

#15 Smytty's Jibs
January 28 2013, 03:26PM
rubbertrout wrote:

That is the only reason I ever go to FN.

And as I was planning a trip down to Cow-town STRICTLY to kidnap that hottie and bring her back to YEG, this comes as very disappointing news... very disappointing indeed.

#16 RexLibris
January 28 2013, 03:46PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

As per Jay Feaster's instructions, she has a no-movement clause.

*slow clap*

#17 rubbertrout
January 28 2013, 04:39PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

As per Jay Feaster's instructions, she has a no-movement clause.

You win the interweb today.

#18 VK63
January 28 2013, 05:51PM

As a hint to the prospective writer.

A mention of THE dirty cross check Messier landed on Dale Hawerchuk is sure to entice at least ONE comment.

*pro tip*

#19 VK63
January 28 2013, 05:53PM
rubbertrout wrote:

Ive been to the one in Edmonton a few times and EGAD theres some FINE fillies in there.

and the food is great too!!

#20 buzzkiller
January 28 2013, 05:56PM

Rex Libris you say? No, I said that.

#21 sting
January 28 2013, 06:18PM

@VK63

Actually it was Jamie Macoun of Calgary not Messier.

#22 bookofloob
January 28 2013, 09:01PM

Looks like this was an effective advertising partnership.

Much like real life, more people would rather talk about pretty girls than the Winnipeg Jets.

#23 KetchupKid
January 28 2013, 10:46PM

I'll read about the Jets twice a week as long as there's some sweet Olli Jokinen photoshopping to go with the articles.

#25 Pension Plan Puppets
January 29 2013, 09:02PM
book¡e wrote:

That's the quickest way to drive commenters away.

#26 Pension Plan Puppets
January 29 2013, 09:03PM
rubbertrout wrote:

Same problem at the Toronto one.

#27 Thomas Scott
January 29 2013, 09:19PM

@Carlos Danger

What a bonehead comment! Have a little respect for the founder of our province!