The Short Term Future of Sven Baertschi

Kent Wilson
January 25 2013 12:10PM

 


 

Word from practice today is that Sven Baertschi is likely to play on the 4th on Satruday, if he makes the active roster at all. The insertion of Jiri Hudler and Roman Cervenka into the mix has meant a logjam of sorts in the top-nine and right now the rookie seems the most natural choice to move down.

This move won't make most Flames fans happy no doubt, but I can see where the coaching staff is coming from. Baertschi and Backlund had a really nice debut period in the first game against the Sharks, but there have been a lot of bumps along the road for the kid since that point. He certainly isn't timid about trying to make highlight reel moves, but his overall 200-foot game remains very raw. Keep in mind Sven turned 20 years old in September and doesn't even have 30 por games under his belt. He also spent his entire last season in junior having his way with WHL on one of the best club's in the CHL, so it's going to take some time to develop the requisite discipline in Baertschi for him to be a more complete player at the NHL level.

Some NHL teams would be willing to let Sven play through his issues, but not the Flames for a couple of reasons:

1.) They have a fully packed roster when everybody is healthy. The current top-9 wingers are: Iginla, Glencross, Tanguay/Cervenka, Hudler, Stempniak and Cammalleri. Depending on how Cervenka assimilates to NA hockey, Baertschi isn't good enough to usurp any of those guys based purely on his abilities right now.

2.) The Flames are still trying to win now. With one point in the opening three games, the urgency to starting winning is already rising thanks to the shortened season.

On top of all that, the club doesn't boast an obviously ideal line for Baertschi currently. Because there is no obvious group of "heavy hitters" amongst the forwards who can soak up the tough minutes, it makes it harder for the coaching staff to appropriately shelter Sven given the set up of the roster.

For example:

Vladimir Tarasenko is currently leading NHL rookies in scoring. In part because he's a high level talent, but it also helps that through 4 games he has an 85.2% zone start ratio - that is, he has started 25 shifts in the offensive zone and just 4(!!) in the d-zone. The Blues have quality depth all over the roster and the Selke caliber play of David Backes to take on the tough stuff, so they can afford to give the kid the cherry circumstances.

Finally, Baertschi hasn't quite made a case for himself so far. We're only three games in and there's a few vets that I think have struggled as well (*cough*Cammalleri*cough*) but established guys always get the benefit of the doubt. right now, the kid has the worst possession rate outside of Steve Begin and Blake Comeau amongst Flames forwards. That's not a grave indictment of any player thanks to the small sample size, and certianly not of a 20-year old rookie, but because the roster is stuffed to bursting with veterans and the team's short term goals are to make the playoffs, Baertschi more or less has to outplay one of the incumbents to stay in the top-9.

As a result, I suspect be will be headed down to the farm within the week, assuming everyone stays healthy and Cervenka is as good as everyone thinks/hopes. Playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line with Comeau/Jackman/Jones/Begin won't do much for Sven's development and since he doesn't have to pass through waivers to be demoted, it's a simple decision to move him back to first line minutes in Abbotsford. 

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current Fn contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#51 Sincity1976
January 25 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

This makes a lot of sense .... if you are the Vancouver Canucks. For a Flames team out of the playoffs for 3-seasons and 3 loses in so far it doesn't make any sense. None. Zero.

Baertschi is our top prospect and he is NHL ready. He needs to play. And he needs to play in a meaningful role. End of story.

Why Feaster loaded up at wing to the point he did is ridiculous. The fact that Hartley can put him on the fourth line or bench him entirely is ridiculous.

Add this to the growing list of bad decisions. Limiting Backlund to less ice time then Stajan. Limiting Brodie to less ice time then Sarich. Scratching Horak.

Meanwhile vets like Cammalleri and Bouwmeester stink up the joint. Great job Flames. Great job.

Avatar
#53 RKD
January 25 2013, 02:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Cervenka and Hudler's insertion pushing Baertschi to the fourth line is not good for his development.

If Baertschi is great prospect, what good is he on a checking line? Why should he have to kill penalties and play less minutes? Guys like Jones, Jackman, etc. are there for that purpose.

If he's way down on the fourth line, he should be back in the AHL playing top 6 minutes. This move speaks volumes of where the Flames organization is, win now. Hartley isn't responsible for the organization of the future, that's Feaster's job.

Nazem Kadri spent three years trying to break through with the Leafs and will probably be a regular from here on out.

Maybe Bart won't become a regular until we see a lineup consisting of guys like him, Gaudreau, Granlund, Ferland, Reinhart etc.

Avatar
#54 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 02:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Didn't think I'd ever see a comment like from you Brent. You've been devout for years.

He's certainly not the first as I can personally attest to.

Wonder how long until the 'average' fan starts turning away again?

Avatar
#55 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 02:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Kent Wilson wrote:

Related, but we noted this possibility back in August when looking at Sven's comparables.

Speaking of Kent, was that 'don't sign Iginla' article you mention in this link ever done? Maybe I missed it.

Avatar
#56 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 02:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Sincity1976 wrote:

This makes a lot of sense .... if you are the Vancouver Canucks. For a Flames team out of the playoffs for 3-seasons and 3 loses in so far it doesn't make any sense. None. Zero.

Baertschi is our top prospect and he is NHL ready. He needs to play. And he needs to play in a meaningful role. End of story.

Why Feaster loaded up at wing to the point he did is ridiculous. The fact that Hartley can put him on the fourth line or bench him entirely is ridiculous.

Add this to the growing list of bad decisions. Limiting Backlund to less ice time then Stajan. Limiting Brodie to less ice time then Sarich. Scratching Horak.

Meanwhile vets like Cammalleri and Bouwmeester stink up the joint. Great job Flames. Great job.

I think Sven could play in the NHL too, don't get me wrong. But if you're going to stick to all these vets you may as well play him where he can play the most and in the most siuations, pp, pk, last minute, etc.

A year on the farm is not going to ruin Sven in any way.

Avatar
#57 Jonathan Happy
January 25 2013, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves a little bit here. Sven is gonna play on the 4th line against EDM, and with a couple of decent shifts from him, coupled with some subpar shifts from the guys above him on the depth chart, Hartley may put him back in the top9. Considering how often this team changes line combos, there's still a shot Sven sees some action in the top 6 on Saturday.

Avatar
#59 Kevin R
January 25 2013, 03:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Brent G. wrote:

You know, I am actually starting to f*cking hate this team. They are brutal, boring and showing no need or desire to make changes. I would rather watch a team of young kids learning even if it meant they will get embarrassed on occasion. At least those loses are coupled development and experience. It sickens me how happy your average fan is here to take yet another shot at it in calgary with pretty much the same roster and expecting something different. Losing isn't always the worst thing if its handled appropriately and leads to improvement eventually. I was hoping the lock out wouldn't end because Iggy could just leave silently and force changes. Now I'm left here hoping they lose their next 7 by a wide margin and maybe then it will truly lead to something different. Of course I'm dreaming, it will never happen. They will make up some excuse about shortened season or no preseason or some sh*t. Regardless I can't imagine why Iggy would ever support this team enough to want to resign with them.

Rant over, just had to get that off my chest. It's remarkable how I used to be the most devout of all flames fans and now can't be bothered to watch when they are on. It's not the losing that's getting me, it's the fact they refuse change all of the time and can't seem to understand what they are doing is simply not working. The well dried up 5 years ago yet they keep continung refusing to use creativity or true intellectual honesty when evaluating themselves or the team they have created. I look forward to the excuses at the end of the year, followed by promises of change but nothing will happen...

This!!!!!!!!!!!! I was glued to watching the Flames for 3 reason & 3 freaking reasons alone. I wanted to see Backlund rebound & Sven as part of that rebound. For these kids to grow a chemistry together & to find that last piece to finally have a young future #1 line to rebuild around. Didnt expect to win the cup, didnt expect playoffs, I expected something new to get excited about the Flames again. The 3rd reason was to see Brodie grow into a top 4 dman this year as well. Already had an early kick to the nuts on that one. I dont care now, I hope those juggernaut up & coming Oilers make us look slow & stupid. Then the young Avs do a rinse & repeat on us. Zero wins & 1 point should leave us solidly in 15th place, where this aging core seems to be falling to.

That's all I have now, time to go drink.

Avatar
#60 Derzie
January 25 2013, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I know, let's take 1 of our 2 legitimate prospects and replace him with a professional tryout, a washed up ex-Leaf, an underachieving ex-Hab and an on his way out of the NHL forward who had one good season (not with the Flames). After all, we have the tools to GO ALL THE WAY. Morons one and all. Glad I am not paying to see this in person. Same crap different season. Time for a Yakopov slide on our ice tomorrow. Grrrrr.

Avatar
#61 Sincity1976
January 25 2013, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@the-wolf

When the General Manager opens the season with an impassioned speech to his team about the rookies getting the opportunity to get ice time and then 3-games in the best rookie in the organization (who is playing just fine) is demoted over players like Cammalleri (who is playing like crap) you have a problem.

When Backlund has been one of the teams best forwards but he has to fight for ice time you have a problem.

Etc.

If I am this sour on the organization I can't imagine what Horak and Baertschi must be thinking.

It is hypocritical and ruins the Flames credibility to its players.

Avatar
#62 Sincity1976
January 25 2013, 03:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

In addition to the above, if Baertschi gets demoted because of poor play then fine. He and everyone else should understand. But if he gets demoted because of the numbers game then shame shame shame on Jay Feaster.

Avatar
#63 jeremywilhelm
January 25 2013, 03:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I'm gonna go on a different path and say I don't think Baertschi has played that well at all.

Avatar
#64 suba steve
January 25 2013, 03:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I, personally, don't mind if we have to wait for Sven (though I might feel differently had I paid for tickets again this year).

In case I haven't made my position 100% clear in past posts; I want this team to fail miserably this year. While I am not yet convinced that this WILL happen, at least I'm feeling the warm glow of the sunrise at this MOMENT. Has been a lot of years since I have felt that with regards to this team.

Avatar
#65 Scary Gary
January 25 2013, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

If Sven played center I have no doubt he'd be in the line-up but like others, I'd rather see him get top three minutes in the AHL than bottom four minutes in the NHL.

I'm not saying Comeau, Stajan or Begin are better alternatives than Sven but really, he shouldn't be compared to these players anyway

I love to watch Backs, Sven and Brodie play but based on the available players and their roles within the team, I don't see Sven outseating any of the top six vets at this point.

Another point I don't think people have mentioned is the 'C' word. He's had a few concussions and I wouldn't want to see his health put at risk by playing with men. Making the jump to the NHL from junior is a big leap, more time spent in the AHL might benefit him (I hate myself for saying that cause I'd love to watch him play).

As a ticket holder I feel Brent's pain

Avatar
#66 funkyjaman
January 25 2013, 03:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Unfortunately Sven hasn't played well enough yet to deserve more top minutes. In saying that, it's unfortunate that we don't have a load of talent in the bottom six for him to succeed with to get him back there.

I'm in the camp of leaving him in the AHL this short season, let this conglomerate of mid to low range players have this season and then start the new era next year when the season will actually mean something.

Im excited to see him play here as well, but with the dearth of injuries running through the league, sloppy play, below average ice, horrible officiating and so on, I think it's better (and maybe safer?) for him to play with the Heat and some of the flames futures as well.

Avatar
#67 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 03:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Sincity1976 wrote:

When the General Manager opens the season with an impassioned speech to his team about the rookies getting the opportunity to get ice time and then 3-games in the best rookie in the organization (who is playing just fine) is demoted over players like Cammalleri (who is playing like crap) you have a problem.

When Backlund has been one of the teams best forwards but he has to fight for ice time you have a problem.

Etc.

If I am this sour on the organization I can't imagine what Horak and Baertschi must be thinking.

It is hypocritical and ruins the Flames credibility to its players.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just saying that ayear of extra development usually helps and never hinders.

My main reason, and I've stated it before, for wanting Sven to spend the season down is so that he's not around all those losers. Bring him up next year when the nuke has been dropped.

Avatar
#68 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
ChinookArch wrote:

I agree he doesn't have anything to learn in the AHL, but he'll need top 9 minutes for his own good at the NHL level.

Comparing him to Begin and Comeau really isn't useful. I wouldn't have expected Begin to make the team in the first place, but for the injury to Bouma, it became a reality. And, leaving Sven on the 4th line is a waste of talent and development time.

I hope this means a trade for prospects, so that Baertschi can move to the 2nd or 3rd line.

I'm not comparing him to Begin or Comeau. But there are only a limited # of spots in the lineup, and I'd rather see Baertshi play than useless Begin or spin-in-circles Comeau.

You know, I honestly don't understand how people expect rookies to get more ice time. Yeah, he's getting 9 minutes now. At what point do you give him more? After he's played 40 games in the AHL tearing it up, and then you bring him up here and... play him 9 minutes again, right? Or does he go on the first line or something?

Avatar
#69 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
David wrote:

I think you underestimate the copetition level of the AHL

You do know that he already played in the AHL this season, right?

Avatar
#70 Parallex
January 25 2013, 04:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Sincity1976 wrote:

When the General Manager opens the season with an impassioned speech to his team about the rookies getting the opportunity to get ice time and then 3-games in the best rookie in the organization (who is playing just fine) is demoted over players like Cammalleri (who is playing like crap) you have a problem.

When Backlund has been one of the teams best forwards but he has to fight for ice time you have a problem.

Etc.

If I am this sour on the organization I can't imagine what Horak and Baertschi must be thinking.

It is hypocritical and ruins the Flames credibility to its players.

I think you have more of a problem if three games in you're benching proven talent like Mike Cammelleri rather then letting him work through his troubles.

I'll agree that I'd rather Backs get more ice-time since he's clearly the best Center on the team right now but compared to how he was being used under Butter he should be singing merrily from the roof-top right now.

As for what Horak and Baertschi must be thinking... for Horak I imagine it's "Damn! Given my Draft status it's a bloody miracle that I've managed to play in the NHL!" and Baertschi's probably "Made NHL team as a 20 year old, stoked... if they're going to bench me I hope I go play in Abbotsford soon 'cause it's in my best long-term interests". Don't act like they've been mistreated... they've gotten more of an opportunity then most guys their age, they're not clearly outplaying any of the guys that have 1-way deals or are waiver eligible (under the assumption that Baertschi will be reassigned soon) it's the right call.

Avatar
#71 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

Oh, I totally agree. I'm just saying that ayear of extra development usually helps and never hinders.

My main reason, and I've stated it before, for wanting Sven to spend the season down is so that he's not around all those losers. Bring him up next year when the nuke has been dropped.

Well let's make sure the delicate rookies are shielded from real life. Heaven forbid they fall off their bed and break their hip or something.

Avatar
#72 Steve
January 25 2013, 04:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Scary Gary wrote:

If Sven played center I have no doubt he'd be in the line-up but like others, I'd rather see him get top three minutes in the AHL than bottom four minutes in the NHL.

I'm not saying Comeau, Stajan or Begin are better alternatives than Sven but really, he shouldn't be compared to these players anyway

I love to watch Backs, Sven and Brodie play but based on the available players and their roles within the team, I don't see Sven outseating any of the top six vets at this point.

Another point I don't think people have mentioned is the 'C' word. He's had a few concussions and I wouldn't want to see his health put at risk by playing with men. Making the jump to the NHL from junior is a big leap, more time spent in the AHL might benefit him (I hate myself for saying that cause I'd love to watch him play).

As a ticket holder I feel Brent's pain

I was a season ticket holder in the Young Guns era. You people don't know pain. Let's do whatever it takes to avoid that again!

Avatar
#73 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

I'm not comparing him to Begin or Comeau. But there are only a limited # of spots in the lineup, and I'd rather see Baertshi play than useless Begin or spin-in-circles Comeau.

You know, I honestly don't understand how people expect rookies to get more ice time. Yeah, he's getting 9 minutes now. At what point do you give him more? After he's played 40 games in the AHL tearing it up, and then you bring him up here and... play him 9 minutes again, right? Or does he go on the first line or something?

Let him finish that season in the AHL and then bring him up next year and play the snot out of him after the nuke has been dropped.

He hasn't clearly outplayed anyone and we have way too many LW right now.

Finishing this seaosn in the A will help him more than hurt him.

Avatar
#74 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Parallex wrote:

I think you have more of a problem if three games in you're benching proven talent like Mike Cammelleri rather then letting him work through his troubles.

I'll agree that I'd rather Backs get more ice-time since he's clearly the best Center on the team right now but compared to how he was being used under Butter he should be singing merrily from the roof-top right now.

As for what Horak and Baertschi must be thinking... for Horak I imagine it's "Damn! Given my Draft status it's a bloody miracle that I've managed to play in the NHL!" and Baertschi's probably "Made NHL team as a 20 year old, stoked... if they're going to bench me I hope I go play in Abbotsford soon 'cause it's in my best long-term interests". Don't act like they've been mistreated... they've gotten more of an opportunity then most guys their age, they're not clearly outplaying any of the guys that have 1-way deals or are waiver eligible (under the assumption that Baertschi will be reassigned soon) it's the right call.

I wonder Jamie Benn thinks.

"Thank God the Flames didn't draft me."

Avatar
#75 clyde
January 25 2013, 04:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

12 minuted a night playing with Stajan is hardly an opportunity. Play him top 6 minutes for a while and see how he does. Perhaps put him in a shoot out. But, if we did that we might be winless in our first 3 games. The so called top 6 we have isn't good enough and haven't been for years.

Avatar
#76 clyde
January 25 2013, 04:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

A comment was made that Ward was good at developing talent. Is there any proof to that? Honest question here because I don't know.

Avatar
#77 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

Well let's make sure the delicate rookies are shielded from real life. Heaven forbid they fall off their bed and break their hip or something.

Not sure what you're even getting at there.

NHL history is littered with players ruined from being rushed.

None from not being rushed.

It's a shortened season and he's already spent half the year down there, working onthings he needs to work on and building his offensive game.

So what is your argument, exactly, against him going back?

Or do you believe he's played so well he should be getting 20 minutes/night on the 1st line?

Avatar
#78 suba steve
January 25 2013, 04:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

You do know that he already played in the AHL this season, right?

So after 21 games played with the Heat (6 goals and 12 assists), Sven has gleaned all he can possibly get out of the AHL?

Avatar
#79 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
suba steve wrote:

So after 21 games played with the Heat (6 goals and 12 assists), Sven has gleaned all he can possibly get out of the AHL?

Exactly.

Avatar
#80 Parallex
January 25 2013, 04:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
clyde wrote:

12 minuted a night playing with Stajan is hardly an opportunity. Play him top 6 minutes for a while and see how he does. Perhaps put him in a shoot out. But, if we did that we might be winless in our first 3 games. The so called top 6 we have isn't good enough and haven't been for years.

This hasn't been our top 6 for "years". Glencross, Backlund and Stempniak weren't top 6 really until just now, Cammy had his excapades in Montreal after 08-09... so the only folk playing in the top six right now that have been in the top 6 for "years" have been Tanguay and Iginla.

Avatar
#81 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

Let him finish that season in the AHL and then bring him up next year and play the snot out of him after the nuke has been dropped.

He hasn't clearly outplayed anyone and we have way too many LW right now.

Finishing this seaosn in the A will help him more than hurt him.

There's no guarantee the "losers" will be gone next season.

It sure would be nice for someone to step up and take the bull by the horns and lead this team to something other than 9th place, whether or not the losers are here. Maybe the losers could even be dragged, kicking and screaming, to a point where they actually contribute something to the success of the team.

But by all accounts Iginla and Murray Edwards run the show, and what Iggy wants, Iggy gets.

Avatar
#82 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

Not sure what you're even getting at there.

NHL history is littered with players ruined from being rushed.

None from not being rushed.

It's a shortened season and he's already spent half the year down there, working onthings he needs to work on and building his offensive game.

So what is your argument, exactly, against him going back?

Or do you believe he's played so well he should be getting 20 minutes/night on the 1st line?

Why don't you list the players that were/are on the Flames that were broken by playing "too soon" in the NHL. Because I can't think of any from, well, ever. You are describing a problem that doesn't exist for this team. We are not the Red Wings.

Avatar
#83 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
suba steve wrote:

So after 21 games played with the Heat (6 goals and 12 assists), Sven has gleaned all he can possibly get out of the AHL?

Yup. Because when he goes down, he will tear it again. And yippee. So then what?

Avatar
#84 Baalzamon
January 25 2013, 04:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@kittensandcookies

how exactly does 18 points in 21 games constitute "tearing it up?"

Avatar
#85 kittensandcookies
January 25 2013, 04:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Baalzamon wrote:

how exactly does 18 points in 21 games constitute "tearing it up?"

Well I guess we'll all be content then watching Matt Stajan tearing it up in the neutral zone, or Comeau tearing it up, or Begin tearing up.

Yippee. Flames hockey.

Avatar
#86 suba steve
January 25 2013, 04:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Baalzamon wrote:

how exactly does 18 points in 21 games constitute "tearing it up?"

It doesn't, and that is why I am done responding to k&c, whose argument style is a lot of yelling and no thinking.

Avatar
#87 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

There's no guarantee the "losers" will be gone next season.

It sure would be nice for someone to step up and take the bull by the horns and lead this team to something other than 9th place, whether or not the losers are here. Maybe the losers could even be dragged, kicking and screaming, to a point where they actually contribute something to the success of the team.

But by all accounts Iginla and Murray Edwards run the show, and what Iggy wants, Iggy gets.

That, I agree with.

Avatar
#88 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

Why don't you list the players that were/are on the Flames that were broken by playing "too soon" in the NHL. Because I can't think of any from, well, ever. You are describing a problem that doesn't exist for this team. We are not the Red Wings.

That, you can do your own research on. I can list players, but you'll only offer other arguments as to why they didn't make it in Calgary, which is fair, I suppose the argument is subjective.

But the logic behind the argument still stands. No player, on any team, has ever been adversely affected by spending a half season on the farm.

So, nice job of skirting my question and re-directing against me, but my question still stands:

So what is your argument, exactly, against him going back?

Avatar
#89 Parallex
January 25 2013, 04:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

That, I agree with.

Can't agree with it. Jarome Iginla is a professional hockey player... presumably what he wants is to be paid to play hockey and to win while doing it.

As far as Murray Edwards goes... well yeah. He owns the team why the hell shouldn't he run the show? I know if I owned something with a valuation in the hundreds of millions of dollars you can bet your a$$ that I'd be running the show.

Avatar
#90 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Parallex wrote:

Can't agree with it. Jarome Iginla is a professional hockey player... presumably what he wants is to be paid to play hockey and to win while doing it.

As far as Murray Edwards goes... well yeah. He owns the team why the hell shouldn't he run the show? I know if I owned something with a valuation in the hundreds of millions of dollars you can bet your a$$ that I'd be running the show.

My bad, I meant I agree with this part:

"It sure would be nice for someone to step up and take the bull by the horns and lead this team to something other than 9th place, whether or not the losers are here. Maybe the losers could even be dragged, kicking and screaming, to a point where they actually contribute something to the success of the team."

Avatar
#91 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 04:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Sven, this season anyways, is not going to do that.

Avatar
#92 clyde
January 25 2013, 04:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Parallex wrote:

This hasn't been our top 6 for "years". Glencross, Backlund and Stempniak weren't top 6 really until just now, Cammy had his excapades in Montreal after 08-09... so the only folk playing in the top six right now that have been in the top 6 for "years" have been Tanguay and Iginla.

Backlund played less than Stajan last game. Stempniak is 30 and a bonafide 20 goal scorer., Cammy, Tang and Iggy have been top 6 here for all their years here. Point is that this top 6 is all very late 20s-mid 30s. While all the teams are realizing it is a young man's game and getting their young skill in top 6 situations, we do the same thing every year. As far as the injury thing, playing 3 games in 3 nights in the AHL while riding a bus doesn't seem to be that great on the young players. Times have changed, the Flames refuse to. We continue to hold on to that one year in the last 23.

Avatar
#93 Steve
January 25 2013, 04:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
kittensandcookies wrote:

Why don't you list the players that were/are on the Flames that were broken by playing "too soon" in the NHL. Because I can't think of any from, well, ever. You are describing a problem that doesn't exist for this team. We are not the Red Wings.

I've read this like six times now and I can't for the life of me figure out what you're trying to say. Have the Red Wings broken a lot of players? How are the Flames different from every other team (or is it just the Red Wings)? Not drafting any talent that had a chance to play in the NHL is certainly a different discussion.

Maybe take a little break, sleep it off and have another go tomorrow.

Avatar
#94 Clay
January 25 2013, 05:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Scary, paranoid thought

What if Sven becomes the reason it might work NEXT year.

Get this

1. He dominates the post lockout AHL 2. Flames narrowly miss the Playoffs 3. Feaster says "We have Sven next year, and I signed [insert dman/winger here] to an 8 year, 5m dollar contract. I think he can [close time and space/play center]. We will make the playoffs, write it down." 4. Teemu Marjamaki spins into depression, and we lose him to online gambling.

Avatar
#95 Duncan
January 25 2013, 05:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I can't wait til this era of the flames is over. We need a new chapter already....

Avatar
#96 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 05:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Clay wrote:

Scary, paranoid thought

What if Sven becomes the reason it might work NEXT year.

Get this

1. He dominates the post lockout AHL 2. Flames narrowly miss the Playoffs 3. Feaster says "We have Sven next year, and I signed [insert dman/winger here] to an 8 year, 5m dollar contract. I think he can [close time and space/play center]. We will make the playoffs, write it down." 4. Teemu Marjamaki spins into depression, and we lose him to online gambling.

Flames always seem to come up with some sort of excuse which is why everyone is so angry and hoping that this year they suck so bad that their hand is forced.

Avatar
#97 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 05:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Duncan wrote:

I can't wait til this era of the flames is over. We need a new chapter already....

Not sure what luck Kent has had on finding that article (not rushing you or anything), but my biggest reason now in hoping that he's traded or signs elsewhere in the summer is for that exact reason.

It's like as long as Iginla is here the team refuses to start a new era, still clinging to a lightning in a bottle run 9 years ago. Get over it already Flames; just let it go.

Avatar
#98 schevvy
January 25 2013, 05:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Wow. This struck a nerve with some people haha. I agree with wolf here, let him play in the A. The fact is he's a winger and there are a ton of them on the team. Playing 4th line minutes will do zero good for him. Playing top line in Abby will. No need to rush him.

Avatar
#99 the-wolf
January 25 2013, 05:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

By "he," being traded, I mean Iginla, btw.

Avatar
#100 schevvy
January 25 2013, 05:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

Not sure what luck Kent has had on finding that article (not rushing you or anything), but my biggest reason now in hoping that he's traded or signs elsewhere in the summer is for that exact reason.

It's like as long as Iginla is here the team refuses to start a new era, still clinging to a lightning in a bottle run 9 years ago. Get over it already Flames; just let it go.

The worst part is that I would be stunned if the Flames don't re-sign Iggy. And as you said, if he's here, there will be no (real) re-build. Really starting to look like Toronto circa 2005-2009 with Sundin. Yuck

Comments are closed for this article.