A Promise to the NHL and NHLPA

Jonathan Willis
September 15 2012 01:38PM

Today is September 15, the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement between the NHL and NHLPA. Tonight, barring an 11th-hour miracle, the league will lock out its players and begin yet another in a seemingly endless cycle of work stoppages.

If that happens, I have a promise to both sides.

The promise is this: I will not spend so much as a dime for the rest of my life on any of the auxiliary streams of revenue the league has.

I’m not turning my back on hockey or even NHL hockey – I’m a fan and always will be. So I’ll keep going to games and buying the sports package on TV so I can watch the teams play. But that’s where it stops.

A huge portion of NHL revenue comes from merchandise and concessions. Jerseys, coffee mugs, hockey cards – when anything with a team logo is sold, the NHL gets a piece of it. The same goes for the pricey beer and nachos sold at arenas.

I’m done with it all.

Granted, I’m not the consumer of those products that I once was, even now. As writing about the Oilers has taken more and more of my time – and eventually transitioned into my full-time job – I’ve been less and less enthused about team merchandise. It’s hard to write objectively about a team while wearing their colours, and I’ve become far less a collector of team-related merchandise than I was even five years ago.

I’ve never stopped completely though, and when at the games I enjoy beer and nachos as much as the next man. But if the lockout, as expected, starts today, those days are over. I’ll Gandhi the games and the vintage Kurri jersey in my closet will be the last thing with an NHL logo on it that I ever buy.

That’s a promise.

Recently by Jonathan Willis

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Wäx Män Riley
September 15 2012, 01:42PM

Props, JW. I agree.

I have already cut my cable package and only watch games streaming online from shady Czech websites (or CBC). I don't watch any of the advertising, don't and will continue to not buy merchandise, however I have a habit of being at 10-20 games a year, and assume that I will continue.

The lack of heroin beer in my fists while at the games will be the toughest thing to overcome, but i will partake in beverages or party favors before going and smuggle in my own nachos with cheese (don't ask where I will stash it).

I will not pay for parking. I will walk miles before giving them $12 to show me where to put my car.

To everyone: First step, kill your cable package.

#2 MFOT
September 15 2012, 01:44PM

Cool story bro.

#3 Calvin
September 15 2012, 01:57PM

Well said JW. I have the most trouble with the mini-donuts though. I just can't help myself...

#4 CK
September 15 2012, 02:00PM

That'll show em

#5 Beavis
September 15 2012, 02:00PM

Hear hear! I haven't really bought any merchandise for a long time, but I can do my part and continue to not buy any.

Seriously though, is there a professional league with less respect for its fans? MLB had the infamous 94 strike, but has there been anything major since? Last year the NFL even managed to get the season started on time. That could still happen here, but if I were betting money I wouldn't put it on that scenario.

#6 Big Al
September 15 2012, 02:03PM

Great idea. Boycott hockey related revenue sources now. Deadline of say Oct 15 when the "Occupy Centre Ice" movement takes the next step of boycotting sponsors.

#7 Dave Lumley
September 15 2012, 02:04PM

When baseball went on strike I swore a pox on thier collective houses, not a penny of mine would ever go to any of them. Since then I never been to a game, never watched a game or bought a piece of merchandise. I swore that I would never consciously support the sponsors either. This I have done. Even when I walk into a room and a game is on I either leave or get busy doing something else. Never watched a worlds series, nothing...

Of course with hockey this will be difficult. But JW I support you and will put myself on a diet. Principles my friends, principles.

#8 yawto
September 15 2012, 02:15PM

Slow clap....Welcome to the wiser club.

#9 Jay Gray
September 15 2012, 02:15PM

Do they stream the Barons games online? Any possible way of getting them on tv?

#10 eastcoastoil
September 15 2012, 02:19PM

Well said JW, in todays world there are so many other ways to watch hockey than pay the large money for the package. The problem is going to the games, when I lived in Edmonton I would try for ten games a year. At every one of them I was wearing some form of merchandise, consuming some form of over priced beverage and food while paying for top dollar parking.

Bring back the flask and the "vintage" jerseys

#11 Hack The Bone
September 15 2012, 02:32PM

I've heard it's fairly easy to order authentic looking merchandise online that is from non-NHL sources.

#12 eastcoastoil
September 15 2012, 02:36PM

JW, is someone working on a article on where the players are being assigned and what that means?

I read that Eberle and RNH are going to OKC, are they going?

Also Nail is headed to Russia, if the season resumes how hard would it be to get him back? Also how does he compare to other talent headed there?

Any idea where the vets are going?

#13 AutoOiler
September 15 2012, 02:42PM
Dave Lumley wrote:

Stopped watching when the Expos were robbed. Haven't been back since.

#14 WheresYourTowel
September 15 2012, 02:50PM

Big Props JW!

(I like that we sport the same Jersey lol)

#15 TM8Trent
September 15 2012, 02:52PM

I love it JW and I'm on board. I propose we not be so hasty though and let them decide the deadline as tonight. I say we give them until Oct 1 to hash this thing out or we will forever boycott NHL & NHL Products for ourselves or our children. October 1, 2012 - This date is 10 days before the start of the regular season and likely the last day that a deal can be struck without having an impact on the regular season schedule.

What do you think? How many can you get on board?

#16 vetinari
September 15 2012, 02:54PM

Although it might have been the only NHL hockey I would have seen this year, sorry EA Sports, no P3 game for me this year.

#17 PinePoint Link
September 15 2012, 03:11PM

I agree.

I was back in Edmonton over the summer and searched for a new Oilers Jersey for my 6yr old, who had outgrown his previous jersey. So I was hoping to find one for 30 or so dollars since I am sure there will be a new one needed next year. I couldn't find one for less than 80 dollars, even at the Oilers store. Outside of a possible purchase for "lucky socks", I think I would feel like doing the same.

#18 Eulers
September 15 2012, 03:19PM

If they miss games, I'd love it if the TV networks refused to show games for a week after the lock out ends. The league would lose revenue and it would be a well deserved FU on the fans behalf.

It would never happen though.

#19 Colin.S
September 15 2012, 03:21PM

Signed

In recent years I've been buying more and more things, and now with kids, I've been buying them jerseys and the like. But this is the single DUMBEST lockout in professional sports, the stupidity of this lockout dwarfs anything from the NBA or NFL and I just can tolerate it. Especially witht he stupidity of the first volley from the owners.

Should this lockout go into October, I formally sign on to this promise. I REFUSE to buy anything from the team or officially licensed crap from the NHL. I may also sell my current merch so that it prevents someone from buying a new item.

#20 mr_nihilism
September 15 2012, 03:23PM

I can get on board with that seeing as how all the money I've spent over the years on merchandise that sits new and unopened in a box collecting dust. I wouldn't miss buying more stuff I don't need.

Now if several million follow along the NHL might just notice us little people that pay the bills.

#21 godot10
September 15 2012, 03:27PM

This is effectively an idle threat. Bettman is laughing at you.

You now make your living effectively "promoting" the NHL. So you are not giving up anything at all, since after the lockout you will still be effectively "promoting" the NHL.

Your livelihood now depends on regenerating the fan base for the NHL after the lockout.

i.e. Bettman has you trapped. You are his effectively his "bitch".

To make your threat "real", you would have to permanently give up writing about hockey and say go start writing about soccer.

mc79 could make the threat credibly, since he makes his living as a lawyer, and seems to like soccer.

You are part of the NHL ecosystem, and dependent on it. Bettman knows that you are going to help bring the NHL back.

#22 godot10
September 15 2012, 03:33PM

@godot10

Effectively, what you are telling us in this post, is that we should stop reading your writing about hockey forever in the various places you write about NHL hockey, since that is another product that helps the NHL generate revenue, just like ball caps and jerseys.

You are part of the advertising and promotional ecosystem of the NHL that should also then be permanently boycotted by "us".

Do you really want us to do that?

#25 Dipstick
September 15 2012, 03:47PM

So now I'll have to give up the red wine and pretzels? Is nothing sacred??!!

#26 blackdogpat
September 15 2012, 04:05PM

Good stuff Jonathan. The NHL feels the fans will keep coming back and I, for one, will watch hockey when it comes back.

But here's the thing. When I grew up it was all about hockey. Every Saturday night I'd watch HNIC with my old man.

I have three kids. 9, 7, 4. Between them they have maybe watched three or four NHL games. They like hockey but I push them towards any international stuff that's on or better yet to playing themselves.

I guess when they get older they may become fans of NHL hockey but its not part of anything they are interested in now and I'm certainly not encouraging it.

Hope all of those new fans in Arizona and Florida will make up for the eroding of the base here.

#27 mr_nihilism
September 15 2012, 04:08PM

“Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions.” - Tyler Durden

#28 Eulers
September 15 2012, 04:10PM

JW, I think that the 'lockout' is mostly just posturing. The NHL made the threat to try to get some traction and the NHLPA is all to happy to make the NHL look bad by following through with the threat. The real issue is whether or not they get their poop together before the league misses games.

All to say, I think 'missing games' rather than 'locking out' should be your threshold.

#30 Wäx Män Riley
September 15 2012, 04:19PM
godot10 wrote:

Do you really want us to do that?

I will continue to read Willis and all other hockey related websites. Using Firefox with noscript and Adblocker eliminate all advertising.

The NHL makes no money off of my reading.

(sadly, they make money off the tix I buy..... dammit!)

#31 Wanyes bastard child
September 15 2012, 04:27PM

JW, did you date godot's sister or something? He sure seems to have a mad on for you eh...

#32 ubermiguel
September 15 2012, 04:32PM

If the NHL misses any games I'd love to see the fans organize and boycott the first game back. Some people obviously wouldn't, but could you imagine HNIC showing a game at ACC or Rexall with 3000 people in the stands? That'd be a message.

Boycott Game 1!

#34 madjam
September 15 2012, 04:37PM

Owners refuse to get serious until they find out if they can break the union again . Bettman just their puppet . This negotiation will be the longest ever and beyond just one season as players will not succumb again as they did with Goodenow . Owners are the ones not negotiating in good faith or even interested in a fair deal . Bettmans deal is a joke , but he does a forked tongue response it is the failure of union not to accept all these rollbacks even though the owners are making more profits under present contract . Players should pay for more of their profiteering out of their own salaries - are you kidding me ? The lockout ends when the owners feel they have raked over the salaries ,etc. of the players - or reached what they feel they can max out and get their greedy hands on .

Of course it's the greedy owners fault and has been all along as they have never made any great stance to a fair deal with the union . Pittance is all Bettman has offered in their defence and a long monumental ways from addressing fruitfull negotiations .

Go after the owners maaking them the bad guys in media and fan eyes and you'll be surprised how fast negotiations will flourish . I back the union at this stage 100% .

#35 master of my domain
September 15 2012, 04:40PM
Hack The Bone wrote:

nhlnhl.com . got my nuge jersey for $32 us.

#36 Pouzar99
September 15 2012, 04:44PM

Impotence - they name is NHL hockey fan. I faced this dilemma in 1988 after Gretzky was sold to LA for thirty pieces of silver. That time I cancelled my season tickets and stayed away until the 1990 playoffs when I decided I was only punishing myself. I returned for Game 7 against Winnipeg and have been back on the train ever since. On the bright side, giving up the over-priced, mostly wretched grub at Rexall will not be too tough.

#37 madjam
September 15 2012, 04:50PM

WHAT A DAY ! WHAT COULD BE WORSE ? ESKIMOS OFFENSIVE LINE OR OILERS DEFENCE ?

#38 Glenn
September 15 2012, 04:51PM

Great idea, but. The greedy owners will get their revenues one way or the other. Ticket prices will just continue to increase. What was that Mr Katz? You need some more money from the city. Is your billion count running low?

#39 The Last Big Bear
September 15 2012, 05:01PM

I'm with you.

I will never buy another NHL-licensed product again.

#40 bookofloob
September 15 2012, 05:42PM

It's a good idea in theory. I'd like to join, but I'm sure I'd cave in pretty fast. I'm not much of an idealist.

The one thing I don't know that I'd do is stop buying the beer and nachos at the game. It just seems off watching a hockey game without a brew. And I figure I'll justify that by assuming that a cut of all those sales goes to help pay the arena workers who dole out the beers and clean the place when we pigs leave.

Other than that, I like the idea. My obsession with retro jerseys would probably suffer, but I too am a patron of the "less than official" jersey sites, so I wonder how much of a cut the league gets off of me for that anyway.

#41 oiler_head
September 15 2012, 05:47PM

Great sentiment. I already told my son that I am not purchasing NHL13. I don't know if I can not purchase NHL stuff long term but living in PDX, it is easier...

BTW, "Gandhi" the game?? I get what you are saying but as an East Indian, I find that sentence disappointing. What are you getting at? You'll starve yourself like an Indian because they must all be hungry and under nourished? I'm likely reading too much into it but, all the same, I wish you would have chosen better workds to illustrate the point.

Happy lockout eve everybody.

#42 johnnyboy
September 15 2012, 06:07PM

... are we to infer from the photo accompanying this post that you are actually lying.

very strange choice.

#43 D-Mo
September 15 2012, 06:14PM

The fact you have a Kurri jersey, makes me agree with whatever it is you are writing about, from now on.

#44 fishbone
September 15 2012, 06:23PM

Well said JW. My cousin and I, long-time ticket holders at Rogers arena in Vancouver, came to the same conclusion last week.

Im still a fan of the sport, and a fan of pro-hockey. I am not a fan of the NHL.

Cheers

#47 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
September 15 2012, 06:33PM

Well said in the article. Bravo sir! Count me in

#48 DSF
September 15 2012, 07:07PM

It is time to send Bettman a message.

And the sentiment seems to be growing. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8381892

But it's not just about giving up nachos JW, go big or go home.

When the NHL comes back...don't write about the Oilers for 1 year.

Encourage others to do the same.

#49 Snipes67
September 15 2012, 07:12PM

Non violent, non cooperation!

#50 Oilcruzer
September 15 2012, 07:13PM

Overreaction.

When they figure out who gets what, call me... I will be back.

Just don't bore me in the meantime over who is right. It means nothing to the fan.

Thank God for the NFL.