Nation Radio - April 28, 2012

NationRadio
April 29 2012 10:51AM

With Lowetide engaging in a hot air balloon race around the world this weekend (the queen herself shall drop the checkered flag!), OilersNation's own Robin Brownlee took the wheel in LT's stead. Joining him this Saturday were all manner of characters and celebrities, including David Staples, Jason Gregor and Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. Mr. Brownlee is also the Nation's record holder for banning trolls engaging commenters in lively debate, so give a listen as he braves listener/reader calls and emails.

This is Nation Radio.

Segment 1

Jason Gregor of the Jason Gregor show (and, of course, OilersNation) is Robin's first guest. They talk Oilers GM and coaching issues, including new candidates should the team choose not to retain Tom Renney. The draft is also discussed.

Segment 2

Next up is Edmonton defender Ryan Whitney. The Oilers season in review, injuries and emerging leaders on the club are the topics. Eberle, Hall and The Nuge get some attention as well.

Segment 3

For part three, Robin wanders into the dark forest of listener interaction. Your calls and emails set the topics.

Segment 4

Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province calls in to go over the Canucks upset in round one, as well as resultant GM, coach and player issues. The possibility of a Luongo trade is discussed as well.

Segment 5

Robin's final guest this week is David Staples of the Edmonton Journal. Tom Renney and the new arena are the two cherries on this hockey talk sundae.

Segment 6

Finally, Robin takes more emails and calls to wrap things up.

Full

The full show.

3d50040a624eb33c8637c3306f09eddc
NationRadio can be heard live on Saturdays from 12-2 PM on the Team 1260 featuring the explicit sounds of DJ Lowetide and his lineup of Allstar guests.Follow us on Twitter: @itsnationradio
#1 BlacqueJacque
April 29 2012, 10:56AM

As a frequent reader/casual poster here, I wouldn't say bragging about banning trolls does much to enliven discussion. Rather makes me wary about posting in Robin's threads in case he takes disagreement or dislike of topic as "trolling".

May I recommend some meditation on the value of the saying "speak softly and carry a big stick"?

#2 Kent Wilson
April 29 2012, 11:06AM

@BlacqueJacque

Robin didn't write the forward, so you can blame me for the that.

#3 @Oilanderp
April 29 2012, 11:55AM

I imagine LT's world-traversing hot-air balloon is powered directly by Jay Feaster.

#4 book¡e
April 29 2012, 01:02PM
BlacqueJacque wrote:

Blacque-Jacque has no sense of humour - please ban him now!

#5 Wanyes bastard child
April 29 2012, 02:17PM
book¡e wrote:

Blacque-Jacque has no sense of humour - please ban him now!

Bookie wants someone banned, we should ban him now!

#6 BlacqueJacque
April 29 2012, 02:19PM

@Kent Wilson

I hope I didn't come across as blaming anyone, I was just trying to give my impressions of this.

I really don't want to be banned from here, and unlike a regular forum, blogs don't typically have a "rules" section, so...

Just feedback from one somewhat average joe.

#7 common sense
April 29 2012, 02:31PM

Sounds rather comical that a supposed journalist (ex-Sun and current CP) wants to impose censorship for opinions contrary to the status quo if no hate laws or bad cussing is involved.

#8 BigE91
April 29 2012, 03:12PM

I enjoy listening to Nation Radio anytime I can and think Lowetide does a pretty good job with the show, but I also enjoyed yesterdays edition and came away wondering if the powers of the Nation ever considered having Alan and Robin co-host the show on a regular basis or e en occasionally?

I think it would be interesting but I also realize it might tap into Wanye's entertainment budget so I see the downside.

#9 Wax Man Riley
April 29 2012, 04:52PM
BlacqueJacque wrote:

Just feedback from one somewhat average joe.

Nope.

Banned.

Boom! Roasted.

Also, that props was from me..... I meant to hit reply but gave a free props instead. Yay Props!

#10 justDOit
April 29 2012, 06:37PM

Now why did I read that as:

"Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Police..."

Hmmmm.

#11 D
April 29 2012, 06:59PM

Really enjoyed this broadcast RB, thank you.

#12 mumbai max
April 29 2012, 07:00PM

Robin put me to sleep twice, before i finally decided to GO to sleep officially. Painful and slow and unfit for radio.

#13 OnlyOil
April 29 2012, 08:41PM
mumbai max wrote:

Ya I tend to agree, there seems to be a few a few posters on this site that seem to have their heads so far up RB a$$ its pathetic, as RB would say himself "fart catchers"

#14 Wanye
April 29 2012, 10:13PM

BAN EVERYTHING! BROWNLEE IS THE BOMB!

#15 Wanye
April 29 2012, 10:15PM
mumbai max wrote:

You are mean and I am so mad at you when we meet face=punch

#16 Robin Brownlee
April 29 2012, 11:07PM

common sense: What is comical is your agenda when it comes to the comments you direct at me. Easy to look up. "Supposed" journalist? OK.

And the "C" word? Oooooh. Yes, if you come around taking gratuitous shots at the people who write here, as opposed to commenting or debating the merits of what's written, there's a good chance it will be "censored," as in gone. Don't like it, move along . . .

Nice to see mumbai max and OnlyOil, two names I don't recall seeing here very often, come by just to offer constructive criticism on the show. Too bad they didn't take the time to actually call in during the show. Might have been fun.

Wanye: See, I'm unfit for radio. Only a matter of time until I get my own show.

#17 Wanyes bastard child
April 29 2012, 11:18PM

@Robin Brownlee

Well you do have the perfect face for radio :P

#18 Robin Brownlee
April 29 2012, 11:27PM

What's frightening is they actually used my mug on TV for a couple of seasons several years back on Sportsnet segments during Oiler games. Luckily, it was before HD was very common.

#19 Rama Lama
April 30 2012, 05:13PM

I just listened to the show and thought,.........For those who think it's easy to talk on radio, try talking for five minutes in front of the mirror on any subject?

On Tom Renny, the way he is being handled, is classless! The only person that does not belong in this organization, is overrated Tamby.

One good trade ( Penner) and three first overall draft picks, does not make a good GM!!

JG was bang on assessing Renny on who he played (Belenger), as his only negative, otherwise I suggest fire Tamby keep Renny.