Jets Logos Unveiled

Robert Cleave
July 22 2011 03:57PM

The Jets kicked off the process of merchandizing this afternoon with the unveiling of the team's new logos and the first sales of gear at the MTS Centre. The full compliment of team marks and logos can be seen at the club's website. There's nothing that really knocks my socks off, but I'll freely admit I might not be the target demographic, and in any case I suspect they'll sell a few units tonight. Thoughts?

1a1030a8151ca7a0d81aea58f0fb1dbc
Robert Cleave is a perpetually grumpy Winnipegger.
#1 D'oh-ilers
July 22 2011, 04:18PM

The main logo is a little cheesy, but I don't mind it. The two side patches are pretty awful though, especially the written one. They could have done a lot better, but then again, it could have been a lot worse.

Eh... I'll stick with my retro 80s logo shirts and jerseys until they eventually come up with something better.

#2 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
July 22 2011, 04:23PM

I work at cityplace, which is across the street from MTS Centre. The moment the logo was unveiled, people were literally running to (what used to be) the Moose gear store to pick up merch. Looking out my office window right now, it's lined up outside the building down the block.

#3 jbeach403
July 22 2011, 04:35PM

@Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things

I work in Portage Place and it was a mad dash to the skywalk for about 20 minutes

#4 Kent Wilson
July 22 2011, 04:49PM

I don't mind the new logo. We may have to incorporate some new colors around this place to keep up though.

#5 andrewmk20
July 22 2011, 05:15PM

It's the nerd in me but doesn't the logo on the left remind anyone of Captain America?

#6 DonovanMD
July 22 2011, 05:24PM

Kind of bleh with it, there were other concept logos that were quite a bit better.

#7 DonovanMD
July 22 2011, 05:30PM

The Fraser Davidson logo was quite superior I think.

#8 Cam Charron
July 22 2011, 05:48PM

I love the RCAF tribute. My maternal Grandfather and his two sons were all pilots, but we have enough "circle on blue" logos in the NHL. I think that the main logo would have worked better as a shoulder patch, and a version of the secondary logo, albeit sans mots, would probably work better as the team's main crest.

Overall I don't mind them. Not crazy on the tertiary/wordmark logo, however. It looks like a baseball team mated with the Regina Pats.

#9 Lowetide
July 22 2011, 05:55PM

I like it. Patriotic and charts a new course for the logo.

#10 nofool6110
July 22 2011, 06:31PM

Interesting, and it really isn't that bad... For me, at least, it gives a Canadian Airlines vibe. An airline that is now defunct...

#11 nolan moore
July 22 2011, 06:46PM

Was kinda looking for something different. Definately not a typical hockey logo. Was gonna get a jersey, but ill pass.

#12 nolan moore
July 22 2011, 06:51PM

Kinda looks like they just slapped it together. Took the RCAF logo, God bless it, and added a jet to it. Lame, shouldn't have paid much for that logo.

#13 Brett
July 22 2011, 07:23PM

I'm all for it. It's simple, and that works for logos. I like how it's similar enough to the old ones that it's a reasonable leap of logic to think that, just maybe, if they never left, this is what the logo would like now.

#14 kdunbar
July 22 2011, 09:33PM

Stay with the origional colours and kept things simple.

I like it.

Now what are they going to do with the old jets retired numbers?

#15 PhillipSmithson
July 22 2011, 09:56PM

I don't dislike the logo. I'm not falling out of my chair in love with it either. I'm reserving final critique of it until I see it on the jersey, it could all come together then and make for one hell of a hockey uniform.

#16 Dan the Man
July 22 2011, 10:19PM

I don't mind it all, simple, patriotic and ....jetty.

The only one I don't care for is the written one on the bottom right.

#17 oilersplumber
July 22 2011, 11:21PM
Lowetide wrote:

I like it. Patriotic and charts a new course for the logo.

Yessir well done !!! I will buy it ! ,,,,,

#18 Oil in Peg
July 23 2011, 09:57AM

I like it as well. I'm really glad then went with a new logo and not the same one as before (which was terrible imho), and I'm sure it wasn't just slapped together as some have suggested.

#19 ubermiguel
July 23 2011, 10:56AM

I love the RAF/RCAF tribute.

#20 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
July 23 2011, 11:01AM

This logo was pitched a few months ago, and I was really hoping they'd stick with it. The new one is close, and I like it, but I still think this one would have been better.

#21 EL PRESIDENTE
July 25 2011, 11:45AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

That is a pretty nice logo concept, I like that it has the RCAF and the Maple leaf, but the tie-in with the AVRO Arrow can be seen as both good and bad, good in the sense the Avro arrow was a great CANADIAN accomplishment, BAD in that the planes were ultimately scrapped and most of the design team moved to the USA to work for NASA.

It still would have gotten my vote.

#22 EL PRESIDENTE
July 25 2011, 11:51AM
Lowetide wrote:

I like it. Patriotic and charts a new course for the logo.

It also seems to pay tribute to TRUE NORTH,

notice the notch in the blue ring that extends out from the white circle,

looks like a compass right?

Has there been a press release describing the logo and its designers intentions?