A Laurel and Hardy Handshake

Robert Cleave
July 11 2011 11:28PM

Wanye and Cam have us off to a good start here at Jets Nation, so it seems like the proper time to add a few thoughts of my own about the events that have transpired since that night in May when Stephen Brunt broke the news that so many of us had waited 15 years to hear.

The return of a team to Winnipeg is one of those surreal moments that I could never quite get a hold of in the abstract. There just wasn’t any reason for the NHL to retrace its steps to a city that it had left 15 years previous, or so it seemed. After a while the majority of us, as I mentioned back in May, had mostly moved on.

Mostly, but never quite completely, of course, which is why the reaction in these parts over the last six weeks has been so rapturous. Something that seemed a silly fantasy for more than a decade was really, actually happening. I was somewhat bemused by several of my fellow citizens making a ruckus at the draft three weekends ago in St. Paul, and yet even an old cynic like me had to acknowledge that their full-throated response to regaining a place in NHL fandom was fully justified.

Those fans, like so many of us, had a belly full of being told that their interest and dollars weren’t welcome, and that they were loons for ever thinking that the events of May 31st and thereafter could happen. With that in mind, the period between the announcement of the Thrashers’ relocation and the draft was a very satisfying time for local fans, with hosannas for Mark Chipman for his efforts, as well as for themselves after a wildly successful ticket campaign. That was all reasonable enough, since it isn’t every day that a city’s wound gets healed via the sort of reversal of fortune we’ve witnessed here.

At some juncture though, happy fun time has to be replaced by honest assessment, and that’s roughly the point we sit at today. The serious business of trying to build a decent franchise from the half-formed work of Don Waddell and his minions is underway in earnest, and with that, Jets Nation launches with the aim of chronicling those efforts.

Over the coming weeks, we’ll examine in detail the players that are relocating from Atlanta, the free agent/trade additions, and the future Jets that make up the prospect pool. This team has mastered the business end of things with the sort of aplomb that True North is renowned for, but creating an on-ice product worthy of the money is another matter entirely, so that will become the focus of this site as the summer proceeds.

With that in mind, here are some general impressions from the last three weeks. First, as Kent Wilson can attest, I was taken aback the selection of Mark Scheifele with the 7th pick, and I can only hope Ducky’s intel on the young man is worth more than Sean Couturier’s two seasons of actual play. I don’t think the kid’s a bust pick, and when wearing my other hat over at FN, I would have been content with him at 13. Still, odd.

The additions of Tanner Glass and Rick Rypien are equally strange, in that neither is likely to be sent to the AHL, and neither of them appear to offer the slightest likelihood of being more than mediocrities at the NHL level. Rypien in particular has one skill that is falling out of favour in the league as coaches increasingly target one-dimensional fighters with their best players.

On the positive side, getting Andrew Ladd on the bus for the next five years is all good. He’s already a grown-up at 25, capable of playing against good players in all situations. Those gents don’t grow on trees, and most players that can handle the sort of load he’s tasked with aren’t that young.

I’m OK with his salary as well, if for no other reason than the taxes on high-income earners here are extortionate. Paying a few hundred K over the market might be the way of the world for this organization as they move forward, so if they are going to spend a bit extra, they need to ensure the players in question are likely to be worth the bother. Ladd’s worth it.

I’m also on board with the Eric Fehr acquisition, and I hope that it might be a plan of attack for Cheveldayoff as the summer continues and teams shed useful players to get under the salary cap. The average 4th round pick has about a 10% chance of making the bigs, so getting a live body that projects into the top nine once his shoulder heals is excellent value. The fact that he’s a neighbourhood guy is good as well, I suppose, although it isn’t like they have a pile of tickets to sell anytime soon, so that factor is secondary to his potential to help a weak right side.

Fehr’s addition still finds the club, at least in my view, two forwards short of a proper top nine, and Waddell’s serial mismanagement left the team with a barren system unlikely to provide any sort of decent skaters beyond a couple of young defenders in Postma and Kulda. I’ve been covering the Flames the last few years, and their farm system looks like the ‘70’s Habs by comparison.

Cheveldayoff’s charge the rest of this summer and beyond has to be improving the quality of forwards in the organization. The good ones on the current roster are mostly young enough that there’s a bit of leeway for the team, but any injuries at all would expose the Jets pretty quickly.

I suppose that does leave open the question of what the precise goal of the organization is for this season. I’m no fan of tanking, largely because it’s a lousy way to treat your paying customers, and I’m one of those paying customers, so competitive hockey might be nice. I’ll leaving cheering for the first pick to Oiler fans, thanks very much.

Still, if a team was ever going to not try very hard to win, the Jets have enough good will to get away with it for at least a year, and after this season there’s every chance that the league’s CBA will look quite different, so not over-committing might be smart, if a bit disappointing for those of us that will spend our nights in the pews.

At any rate, at least we’re talking about NHL hockey in a place that’s been starving for it since April of 1996, and as someone who watched the first iteration of the Jets abandon my city for the desert all those years ago, it feels pretty damned good to have the game's best returning to Winnipeg for more than a few scruffy exhibitions. October 9th can't come soon enough.

1a1030a8151ca7a0d81aea58f0fb1dbc
Robert Cleave is a perpetually grumpy Winnipegger.
#1 Jodes
July 11 2011, 11:45PM

Ah Blazing Saddles.. Hands down one of the funniest movies ever..

Robert, well said. I look forward to following your reports and this team as they embark on another season in the NHL.

Btw, do you think that Cheveldayoff will slowly weed out anyone that has ties to the Atlanta franchise (scouts, etc) and bring in his own people?

#2 44stampede
July 12 2011, 03:05AM

I hope this doesn't mean you 're abandoning Flamesnation.

In all I think most of Canada will be fans of the Jet's for at least this season (or until they play their fav team).

These guys are a lot like the Flames currently. Not a great team with not a whole lot'a prospects to look forward to. Hope they have the right guy to right the ship. Not sure we do...

#3 Eat #@$% Toronto
July 12 2011, 03:53AM

Congratulations to all the Jets/hockey fans in Winnepeg. Great to have another team in Canada and to have pro hockey back in the Peg. I'll support the Jets this year, but once they return to the Western division..... they are the enemy. GO OIL!

#4 Kent Wilson
July 12 2011, 07:14AM

I’ll leaving cheering for the first pick to Oiler fans, thanks very much.

I think maybe the best part Bob is you get to take shots at the Oilers from two different angles now.

#5 Ryan Popilchak
July 12 2011, 08:37AM

Nice synopsis Robert. Glad to have you guys online and pumped about the team in Winnipeg.

And Kent - we can always take shots at the Oilers from a multitude of angles.

#8 JoeHallenback
July 12 2011, 08:56AM

Really didn't mind the off season at all as they pretty much said they were not going to go after big name free agents and would look to acquire some smaller names to fill the lineup. Glass and Rypien fill the toughness roll on the 4th line. Glass can kill penalties as well. Fehr is a steal, if he stays healthy and gets minutes he will put up 30 goals this year.

It is a tough road ahead because Waddell royally screwed the pooch developmental wise. I think they did a pretty fantastic job at this years draft. Scheifele was amazing at the U18s this year. Lowry was a huge steal in the 3rd and Serville is a big darkhorse.

With their experience in creating a successful AHL franchise I am sure they will be able to get that up and going in St.John's this year and hopefully start to clean up Waddell's mess

#9 edmontoncritic - BRoadwAY
July 12 2011, 09:55AM

Seriously, this is the jets article I was waitin for.......from a REAL fan of the team. Very well done sir

#10 John Chambers
July 12 2011, 08:37PM

A couple of advantages the Jets have are 1) the ownership group understands the importance of a successful farm as the Moose funneled more NHL ready talent to the Canucks than anyone else within the last 5 years, and 2) the core is young and they are mostly all locked up in reasonable length and dollar contracts. Reasons to be excited longer-term for sure.

A couple of disadvantages: 1) as identified in the article, a shallow prospect pool which is unlikely to help the team improve in the near term with reference to the rest of the league, 2) a major talent acquisition problem when looking to sign FA's in the offseason.

I'm not sure how True North / Cheveldayoff feel with respect to their ongoing strategy, but following the trends in the NHL over the past few years it's fair to assume that the Jets are going to have to get comfortable overpaying certain players to fill holes (Eric Belanger or Vern Fiddler would've aided the Jets poor depth at C at low cost), make shrewd trades to acquire talent (Fehr is a good start), and try to lure Manitobans or others on the joys of playing in front of a full building (Dustin Penner comes home?).

But I'm def looking forward to not having to drive to Minni to see the NHL and am overjoyed we have a team of young, likable studs who I'll enjoy watching from my perch at Flea Whiskey's.

#11 Jodes
July 13 2011, 07:41AM
John Chambers wrote:

If Dustin Penner has another season like he did after he got traded to the Kings/Playoffs, trust me you don't want him anywhere near your team!