GDB 35.0: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Wanye
December 26 2011 01:34PM

Ah the ol' Boxing Day Hockey Extravaganza. If there is anything greater than sitting around in your PJs, crushing left over Christmas treats and watching Canada kick off the the World Juniors we can't think of what it is.

What's that? The Oilers play tonight?

That would qualify as greater.

WHICH IS BETTER?

It is difficult to say which game today is more important - Team Canada kicking off the WJC or the Oilers playing the Canucks tonight at 8 PM.

The WJC on the one hand face the crushing pressure of the weight of Canadians annual hopes and dreams. Nothing less than a Gold will be tolerated by couch potatoes from Coast to Coast.

The Oilers on the other hand face the miniscule pressures of a team climbing out of the basement of the NHL, where they have been living and presumably paying rent of some sort these past two years.

If they can keep themselves out of the NHL lottery and shed some underperforming contracts along the way the Trilogy of Hall, Eberle and the NUUUUUUUGE will keep Christmases in the OilersNation merry for years to come.

IF YOU ASK US

We greatly enjoy the World Junior Championships each year. Watching the future NHL stars of tomorrow set aside their differences and come together in the name of Queen and Country is marvelous.

But unless they were all property of the Edmonton Oilers and looking forward to hoisting the Stanley Cup in Edmonton we can't even put them on the same level as the Mighty Oilers. A credit to our fine Nation to be sure but trailing slightly behind in our heart-o-meter.

So Go Team Canada. May you bring home the Gold.

But even more so, go Oilers.

LINEUP

According to the Oilers twitter feed, no lines were run in the practice in Vancouver this morning. Ryan Whitney was absent from practice and Ales Hemsky left the ice early. Both have been since declared out for the game tonight and Khabibulin will get the start.

Jordan Eberle on the other hand presumably put on a clinic of selfless play and hard work the entire practice and declared himself "ready to rock" for tonight's game. Taylor Hall practiced flying into the boards awkwardly at 1000 MPH for the last half of the skate and was pronounced "awesome" by all in attendance.

And we can only imagine that The Nuge clapped delightedly standing on his lil skates and raised his stick in a mighty cheer.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#51 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 26 2011, 09:27PM

Ebersqueee!!!

#52 oilman3
December 26 2011, 09:27PM

ugh. horcoff and belanger are brutal on the pp. hold the phone...oiler goal. EBS!! finally.

#53 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 26 2011, 09:28PM

fire everyone... I hate this

#54 Wanyes bastard child
December 26 2011, 09:29PM

EBERSQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#55 oilman3
December 26 2011, 09:29PM

unbelievable. c'mon. here's an idea potter, take the idiot in front of the net instead of chasing kesler.

#56 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 26 2011, 09:30PM

Merry Smythmassss Everyone!!!

#57 Shaun Doe
December 26 2011, 09:31PM

god this could be a 1 goal game now. But no, we have to give up the shortie to that poor excuse for a french Canadien accent.

#58 Wanyes bastard child
December 26 2011, 09:31PM

SMYTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#59 The poster formerly known as Koolaid drinker #33
December 26 2011, 09:33PM

Did you gys see Wanye on TV. They showed him after the Eberle goal. He was wearing a Mrs Eberle shirt.

#60 Rip van Winkle
December 26 2011, 09:35PM

Wht is this ,basketball? How many picks can a team make b4 a penalty is called?

#61 orangepylon
December 26 2011, 09:39PM

what a pass,ebs

#65 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 26 2011, 10:00PM
Wanye wrote:

EVEN THE NUUUUUUUUGE?

*looks up with doe eyes*

Ha... I don't know about you but... this is the fourth hockey game of the day for me... I've leave you to do the booze math on that... needless to say the emotional swings are huge and giving up a shortie to the nucks makes me want to puke

#66 oilman3
December 26 2011, 10:06PM

wow. this hot potato crap in their own end is brutal to watch.

#67 Shaun Doe
December 26 2011, 10:07PM

Dear Petry:

Take two hands, place them on your stick. Proceed to place stick onto the back of Kessler's head. Repeat as necessary.

#68 Rip van Winkle
December 26 2011, 10:08PM

Am I the only one tired of Renney sending out defensive players who get burnt on 4 on 4's?

#69 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 26 2011, 10:08PM

Joneseeeeeee!!!!!

or... Pottersqueee!!! either way I'll take it!

#70 Rip van Winkle
December 26 2011, 10:08PM

What could have been!!!

#71 Wanyes bastard child
December 26 2011, 10:11PM

JONESYYYYYSQUEEEEEPOTTEREEEEEEEEEEEEEBERSQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#72 Rip van Winkle
December 26 2011, 10:12PM

Dear Oilers

when you have the puck on your stick in your own zone, get it the $&@/ out of there!

Your fans

#73 Romulus' Apotheosis
December 26 2011, 10:16PM
Shaun Doe wrote:

Dear Petry:

I don't know how the nucks make it through the day without encountering extreme hostility served with extreme prejudice... at least when they are away from van.

#74 oilman3
December 26 2011, 10:23PM

ok it's time for nuge to pot one on this power play.

#75 Shaun Doe
December 26 2011, 10:24PM

Oh I am sure people would love to treat them they way they deserve but then Gillis would make a scene and everyone would be forced to play nice. So whats the point. It's funny though, they will often bring up the fact that many people around the NHL don't like the Canucks on the radio. So the morning jocks will ask Ray Ferraro, their insider, why this might be the case. Everytime he gives some lame, "it's easy to hate the ones at the top" yadda yadda crap. Just once I would love for him to be honest and give a real answer to that one. I'd really like to know what the beef is everyone has and if its the same as my own reasons.

#76 oilman3
December 26 2011, 10:27PM

wow. ryan smyth with a penalty for standing on the blueline. this reffing is an absolute joke.

#77 Rip van Winkle
December 26 2011, 10:28PM

One has to wonder if the Canucks don't have bruises from hitting the ice when they thought they were poolside on vacation about to take a dip

#78 oilman3
December 26 2011, 10:39PM

i have to wonder if all of the cliches about playing a full 60 minutes will actually ever start to happen. how do you come into this game and lay an egg in the first period? there's a long way to go.

#79 Quinn the Eskimo
December 26 2011, 11:39PM

I was at the game tonight (I live here. It's wet) and spent a lot of it looking at the D game from between my fingers. I actually think Tom Gilbert checked out of consciousness on that last goal. Honestly, there was no appreciable mental activity for even sensitive medical instruments to measure. They all had bad games. Smyth was brutal for the first half. And I don't know, because I can't afford to go to many games, but was the reffing particularly bad today, or is it just worse when you watch it in front of you? Holy crap-cakes, batman, the missed calls were horrible, and, like oilman 3 said, Smytty got one for interfering with the ref's wife or something. Whatever he was interfering with wasn't on the ice at the time.

Anyway, the blue is in trouble right now, and if Plante is hurt bad, I guess Tuebert will have to get back on the plane. What a mess.

#80 David S
December 27 2011, 12:04AM
Quinn the Eskimo wrote:

~If only Tambellini could have anticipated this sad sad situation over the summer and signed some actual NHL'er D-men while they were still available.~

#81 Quinn the Eskimo
December 27 2011, 01:09AM

DS, I honestly believe they (the brass) know and understand all this and, as someone above this post posited, don't want to waste assets just yet only to push us 5 points above a good pick and 5 points below a playoff spot. What did come across to me watching the kids in person was how mercurial and inventive they are (I can see the whole ice from here!). The future has arrived, that is certain. I suspect the D building is job 1 for Katz, ST and co. and will start in earnest this summer. Considering they lost, I took a lot of cheer from seeing the future club's partial skeleton.

And I don't hate Tom Gilbert et al, I just... held my head a lot. That goal horn in Rogers is effin' LOUD man!

#82 David S
December 27 2011, 03:13AM
Quinn the Eskimo wrote:

Or we could call it for what it is > "Tanking".

I agree with you. The brass know exactly what's going on and what the outcome of not addressing obvious needs during the off-season (or addressing said needs with bottom feeders) will be.

I understand the theory. However I can't for the life of me agree with it. You play the game to win. What we've been witness to is a never-ending stream of decisions based solely on the strategy of acquiring top picks.

Sorry man. But at some point you have to play the game. Soiling our core talent for yet another lottery draft high pick is getting old. Plenty of teams have filled out their rosters with decent secondary players. That we have failed to do so reeks of incompetence or ineptitude.

#83 Ed in Mada
December 27 2011, 03:15AM
David S wrote:

St did sign two veteran D men, Sutton and Barker. Neither has actually been able to play much, but difficult to put that on ST. Also sigend Potter,although hard to say if he is NHL caliber or just hanging around on the worst D in the league.

Be honest now folks, where would you have thought the Oil would finish if told at the start of the year that neither Hemsky or Whitney would be able to come back from their injuries?

#84 Ed in Mada
December 27 2011, 03:15AM
David S wrote:

#85 a lg dubl dubl
December 27 2011, 07:58AM

This is getting embarrassing...except for the kids and jonsey at least they show up for the games.

#86 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 27 2011, 07:59AM

so where have all the "the d is fine all you people saying the d would be a problem need to man up and give tambellini credit" people gone?

#87 David S
December 27 2011, 11:59AM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

Posts #83-84, just above you there.