State of the Nations - 2011-2012 Season

Kent Wilson
October 07 2011 11:56AM

The new season is finally upon us. The sun rises on 2011-12 and with it a new dawn for the Nations Network. We've added some new sites and new faces this summer and are currently working away in Wanye's secret hide-out on future various plans and schemes. Here's a little of what you can expect from us this season:

OilersNation will continue be a guiding light, featuring our eccentric overlord, as well as Lowetide's mix of modernity and nostalgia, Jonathan Willis' rigorous analysis and the access and insight of Jason Gregor and Robin Brownlee. FlamesNation will keep on on keepin' on and has added new-comers Vintage Flame and Robert Vollman to the a roster that already featured Robert Cleave's lucid prose, Steinberg's dulcet tones and my own self-importance and verbosity.

CanucksArmy and LeafsNation awakened from long slumbers this offseason, led repsectively by Thomas Drance and Julian Sanchez (Pension Plan Puppets). The Army also features the incorrigible Cam Davie, new-comer and fantasy hockey expert Jeff Angus and an ever growing, rotating cast of contributors. Psychology buff Danny Gray and the stats-focused JP Nikota joined the LN team not too long ago and have been pumping out quality content ever since. Lastly, The '67 sound adds both stats and satire to the mix.

Of course, the Jets are back in Winnipeg and are also the newest members of the Nation family. Lowetide's buddy Dean Belanger heads up things over there, assisted by FlamesNation writer (but Winnipeg resident) Robert Cleave as well as Winnipeg Whiteout blogger Matthew Eichel and FN contributor search finalist Marty Clarke.

Readers will also notice some guest appearances from time-to-time. Ryan Lambert of Puck Daddy may stop by to tell you how much your favorite team sucks. Cam Charron of Nucks Misconduct and the Score's new blog Backand Shelf will drop in here and there to add his research and insight. Russian correspondent Andrey Osadchenko will also keep us abreast of kids and players from across the pond. Finally, Prospect and Draft site Future Considerations will be sending us updates and scouting reports on future players of interest a couple of times a month going forward.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Along with more talent and material than ever before, schemes are being hatched to make over the ol' Casa Di Nations this year. When Wanye offered me a contract to take over as the Network's managing editor (written in crayon on a napkin), he asked me for list a few changes or alterations I'd like to see in the platform. I gave him an 18-page document, double-sided, with diagrams and foot-notes.

Not to say what we're working with here isn't perfect, of course. Just that it could be, uh, a little more perfect if you catch my drift. The Nations unfortunate development team (captured and caged a few years ago) is working their way through my list of demands and trying to figure how to get them out the door in a timely manner.

TO DO LIST FOR WANYE

Here is a few things you can expect to seeat some point coming up:

- Better social media integration. Re-tweet buttons! Like buttons! Digg buttons! Stalk buttons! Shrug buttons! Snort derisively buttons! etc.

- Improved commenting. We're not going to commit to anything specific here. Just that it will be better.

- Better blogging platfrom. Okay, so most of you probably don't care about this. For that that do: we're trying to add a few things to the back-end to make our contributor's lives easier and, hopefully, their contributions a bit better as well.

- Improved NHLnumbers. The black sheep of the family, NHLnumbers was re-skinned and re-vamped when it was added to the network not too long ago. Now we're looking to add some new stats and functionality to the mix with an ultimate goal of making it the premiere advanced analytics site on the internet. Numbers folks rejoice - we have gotten our message to Wanye & Co and the early plans for this look pretty amazing.

- More premium content. Along with the emergent NationRadio program in Edmonton, the Network plans to add a few more in other markets around the country. And if not radio shows, then podcasts. And if not podcasts, then crudely drawn flip-book animations. And so forth. In addition, our own Jonathan Willis will continue to dream up and produce great stuff like his recent Fantasy Draft Primer (last day to buy, by the way).

We aren't terribly sure when any changes or going to take effect. Wanye says we're "shooting for before the Oilers make the playoffs again." Sonner would be better, of course.

So that's the lay of the land folks. Thanks to all our regular readers, from the commenters to the lurkers. And welcome to all you new readers in whatever form you make take. Here's hoping we can continue to entertain and/or aggravate you this year.

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
#1 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
October 07 2011, 12:01PM

More like State of the FIST!

SQUEEEEEEE

#2 Ales Hallky
October 07 2011, 12:02PM

I cant wait to see the fist improvements

#3 ales hallsky
October 07 2011, 12:03PM

Dammit. good on you mcsteely, good on you.

#4 Archaeologuy
October 07 2011, 12:05PM

1) Who is Wayne?

2) Props Leaderboard with career props tracking

#5 TonyDanzaPervo
October 07 2011, 12:08PM

On a side note, is the nation going to be in french when the Oilers move to Quebec City? The article on Lowetide's blog has sent me into a deep depression, and the only cure is a new arena.

#6 Quicksilver ballet
October 07 2011, 12:13PM

Anyway we can turf FlamesNation and JetsNation?

A little Winnipeged out already.

#8 RossCreekNation
October 07 2011, 12:44PM

Live updating commenting?

#9 Dan the Man
October 07 2011, 12:45PM

Are you taking requests? Because I'd really enjoy it if there was a Nation Blackberry App.

#10 The Beaker
October 07 2011, 01:04PM
Dan the Man wrote:

At least a mobile friendly site.

#11 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
October 07 2011, 01:04PM

@Kent Wilson

So the secret is out. He is WAYNE GRETZKY!!!!!

OMG can I get his autograph in orange and blue crayon PUHLEEEZ

#12 mikeH
October 07 2011, 01:12PM

Can't wait for the flipbook animations, that would be AWESOME.

Come to think of it, Brendan Shanahan should use flipbooks in his call reviews.

#13 Bucknuck
October 07 2011, 01:13PM

Thanks man. This site is the shiz already, but looking forward to the new stuff too!

#15 Monaertchi
October 07 2011, 01:32PM
Bucknuck wrote:

The Nations is indeed the shiz.

If I were to make one suggestion, it would be that M&G commenting (as an example) is super cool, what with the live updates and highlighting new comments, etc...

#16 Ninjai
October 07 2011, 01:35PM

Keep up the great work!

#17 HOFFFF
October 07 2011, 01:41PM
TonyDanzaPervo wrote:

.....or more Cow Bell.

#18 stevezie
October 07 2011, 02:07PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

1) Who is Wayne?

2) Props Leaderboard with career props tracking

Agreed on number two, it'd be nice if clicking on someone's name gave a little more info on them. Career props, replies, posts...

#19 Senator Theo
October 07 2011, 02:47PM

Is Ryan Lambert the guy from the Highlander?

Also, I like how the commenting "will be better" sounds like a threat -looking forward to it!

#20 book¡e
October 07 2011, 02:49PM

me look forwerd to improved commmentating. The comments on the Oilers Nation sight is just too crap quality for me. too many stoopid people there.

#21 RexLibris
October 07 2011, 02:51PM

Kent, that light that you see over here at OilersNation is the fading glow of our slash-and-burn rebuild. The embers are still warm.

I hope your 18-page document had footnotes. I love footnotes. Footnotes > endnotes.

And thanks for saying you want to get the changes done "sooner than before the Oilers make the playoffs again", it's a decent timetable and something we can expect to see fairly soon. Better than saying "when the Leafs win the Cup" which I think is the timeline the arena debate is on right now.

#22 Senator Theo
October 07 2011, 02:59PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

1) Who is Wayne?

2) Props Leaderboard with career props tracking

I think that might lead to more people just propping themselves, or "masturpropping" as it's known in some circles.

#23 freeze
October 07 2011, 03:00PM

Numbers definitely needs an upgrade. Capgeek is upping the ante this season!

#24 Archaeologuy
October 07 2011, 03:06PM
Senator Theo wrote:

That can be a stat too. Who doesnt masturprop? Only prudes and home-schooled kids.

#25 Pajamah
October 07 2011, 03:06PM
Senator Theo wrote:

Masturpropping Circles

I'm down*

*just don't look me in the eye*

#26 freeze
October 07 2011, 03:07PM

Also, why haven't we picked our 2011 Stars yet?!?! Someone wake up Wanye.

#27 the-wolf
October 07 2011, 03:27PM

I can't support this. IMO this stuff tends to play towards the lowest common denominators out there. Part of what I like about this site as opposed to others is the ability of most members to debate intelligently. Buttons just become an easy way to bait and peeve people off.

#28 David S
October 07 2011, 04:14PM

When I hear "premium content", the word "subscription" comes to mind. We're not going to go the way of Center Ice, are we? Because we all know the internet is supposed to be free.

Signed,

Cheap Bastard

#29 Oil is My Blood
October 07 2011, 04:35PM

One Nation Under Stanley??

Where are SenatorsNation and HabsNation?

#30 Puritania
October 07 2011, 04:38PM
book¡e wrote:

i tak of fense 2 tht.

#31 Puritania
October 07 2011, 04:41PM
David S wrote:

Signed,

Cheap Bastard

I agree MR. S, subscriptions can eat a big ol' bag of wieners.

#32 Wanye
October 07 2011, 06:36PM
David S wrote:

Signed,

Cheap Bastard

I think these sites are quite good and yet I wouldn't pay a thin dime to read them. The Nations will always be free - free to read free to listen to etc. We will try and roll things out like the draft primer as premium content to enhance the existing content on the sites and shows.

If anyone has any other ideas/suggestions please put em here and thanks to everyone for their input so far. Thanks to Kent too for publishing a list of what he wants built so that I am held publicly accountable. All hail!

#33 Oilcruzer
October 07 2011, 07:38PM

A search function with advanced search options.

A return to the last unread post button

An ability to see more than 5 blogs per page.

A "view my posts" button.

A link to others twitter account.

A master list of Blog Titles with Dates, that ( of course) have links.

#34 Senator Theo
October 07 2011, 08:48PM

How about a "home" link at the bottom of each page? Maybe on the nation icon? Would make reading on a mobile device a lot easier.

#35 OilerLand
October 07 2011, 09:01PM

THIS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

I'd absolutely love to see some video content using the Nation's/Wanye's amazing sense of humour. I wish ON could get a press pass and interview players.

Something like Cabbie but you know, funny.

How awesome would it be to see a "funny version of Tom Gazzola" game day youtube vid? or a "funny version of TSN" highlites package?

If you pay me, i will relocated to edmonton and do this myself.

#36 schevvy
October 07 2011, 10:38PM

FlamesNation radio? Any timetable on when it will be on the radio? That would be excellent!

#38 Puritania
October 07 2011, 11:52PM

I'd like to see a series of pictures that progressively get less and less blurry of Wanyes shaven bottom at the end of each article.* Ignore the rest of the ideas if it means getting this one done!

*swoon

#39 Wäx Män Riley
October 08 2011, 12:36AM
Senator Theo wrote:

As opposed to a circle prop? Where we all stand in a circle and prop on each other?

#40 Wäx Män Riley
October 08 2011, 12:38AM

Did I say "we"? I meant "you people on this site"... ya .... that's what I meant

#41 The Towel Boy
October 08 2011, 11:09AM
Senator Theo wrote:

Is Ryan Lambert the guy from the Highlander?

Yeah, I think he played Raiden in the Mortal Kombat movie too.

#42 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 08 2011, 01:36PM

As far as improvements go, I'd like to see more, and I'm being selfish here, more bloggers. There are still at least 1 or 2 really good, high quality Oilers bloggers still not contributing here at ON. There are probably a lot more but after seeing the courtship of LT I would hope you'd take a run at some other high quality free agents.

#43 Wanye
October 08 2011, 01:44PM
Max Powers - Team HME Evans wrote:

Like who? I wish Covered in Oil was back in business but those high falutin fellas have all moved on to be editors of newspapers and junk.

#44 Monaertchi
October 08 2011, 02:24PM

Ooh, I just remembered something.

Kent pinky swore that a post detailing and describing all manner of advanced stats would be "pinned" to the home page for easy and continued access. Perhaps the time has come.

Edit: masterpropped

#46 Jason Gregor
October 08 2011, 04:07PM
stevezie wrote:

We won't have career posts because then people are less than welcoming to newcomers. "This is only your 2nd post, you're an idiot, I've posted 6,427 times"...

Props sure, could mean a guy is super witty or funny, but we likely aren't leaning towards career posts...

I'd rather have something that tracks date offirst post...Some people have been here from the beginning, and might only post once a month...

#47 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 09 2011, 11:12AM

@Wanye

Pat MacLean. He is a machine. Bdhs is an awesome blog site. Friggin' hilarious and an excellent writer to boot.

#48 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 11 2011, 07:04AM

Hope that last comment didn't come too late, I was doing things! Read it Wanye, read it. PM needs to be a part of the nation.